Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I appreciate that they spent barely half an episode on the cliche "getting the band back together" plotline, though I do hope we get a little more of dopey party-animal Penny before everything is back to normal.

e: Also it's incredibly cruel to namedrop "Nigel the bastard son of an English lord" and not give us a peek at alternate Elliot, that's just too perfectly evocative.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Clearly Josh has a lot of updates to make to the hookup/murder diagram.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I think the humor thing is a component of why some of the exposition in the last episode landed with a bit of a thud. It was played as kind of glib, but it wasn't actually funny at all, even with the "twist reveal" at the end. It was also played as being incisive and showing Penny's "enlightenment", but it didn't really work in that way either, since as someone upthread pointed out, the main cast is actually pretty diverse.

But it's also pointless to make a deal of it, this show is not remotely afraid to date itself or go out on a limb when making a joke or a serious point, and that's to be lauded. They did an election parody episode in 2018, it was somehow still great.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
"Napster" was such a great, yet deeply stupid joke.

Also I have no idea who is in charge of the little episode blurbs that show up on IMDB and stuff, but I only just noticed they're all bizarrely hilarious this season.
"Penny licks an egg; Alice gets jealous of a flower."
" Quentin and Julia play Pictionary. Margo drinks some weird milk."

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I wish we could've just kept Evil Alice, she's terrible this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

STAC Goat posted:

I still stand by the opinion that Quentin was a garbage friend and lovely person for ignoring her and telling her she wasn't good enough. She sucked too at times but Quentin could have avoided a lot of it if he had been a better friend. And again, I'm glad when they finally made up they dealt with that double sided responsabilty of their falling out.

I really loved that the show tells you from the very beginning that they are Childhood Friends, which is this vaunted precious thing in fiction, but then what you see in practice through the first season is two people who have grown apart and mostly treat each other badly. It's another cool facet of how the show deconstructs fantasy tropes and made their relationship feel very genuine after they reconciled later.