Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I'd take Alice over Olivia any day. In terms of universes I'd rather live in The Magicians' universe. In terms of shows I'd take Fringe. I'm all over the place with my support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Random thoughts:
I think season one was kind of rough too, but I liked it enough to stick with it.

Penny's pretty relatable for me, Elliot reminds me of an old friend, and Alice looks eerily like a now ex. Also, Margo's been the poo poo from the beginning and I would watch a whole season of her just being a badass bitch.

I think the unspeakable evil they'll unlock is just plot fodder for next season.

I can't believe I didn't think that NuPenny could be inhabited by our Penny till I read the latest comments in here. Especially after watching Fringe and seeing Olivia get inhabited by like half a dozen people.

What kind of clusterfuck will Marina coming to our side cause?

WrightOfWay posted:

I wonder if Kady was a member of the main group in timeline 23? She's the only main cast member that was unaccounted for in this episode.

In addition to the aforementioned "I don't know who that is" from NuPenny, I imagine NuPenny found a partner in Julia since she was admitted to school and therefore never tried to keep Kady from leaving, saving her, etc.

I just want to say how much I loved watching Q and Elliot getting old together. That's been the best part of the show for me so far. Probably moreso because I love Elliot.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like Quentin's really only less of a dick now because he's finally living out his dream of being the leader of a heroic quest. If he was dealing with Fillory politics like Elliot and Margo or just trying to better some random people's (elves) lives like Julia he'd still be a whiny dick.

Although its possible that his long life with Elliot chilled him out. The fact that they happened together makes it hard to figure where to draw the line between the two things. Either way he was a massive dick in the first two seasons because he had a massive inferiority complex, especially as it relates to Julia. Now he's finally at some kind of satisfied peace so he's chilling out.

I think Q was always just a social outcast, along with his diagnosed mental illness(es) just always felt like an outsider. Getting into BB's was his catharsis. Julia was always the cool kid and now that Q has something she doesn't that's why he was a dick to her. But I think everyone is learning they need each other to make it, so the dickishness has died down.

Nihonniboku posted:

I hope now that the quest to restore magic is winding down, they start to deal with their memories of their parallel life together, and possible lingering feelings they might have for each other. What's really unique about their relationship is that it kind of throws out the old trope of the gay character falling for the straight character. Who knows who initiated their threesome back in season one, but it was Quentin who initiated the hookup this season. And in the book, there is a brief moment where Quentin walks in on Eliot with another male student at Brakebills, and he feels jealous that Eliot never gave him that kind of attention.

I think I'm just running under the assumption that everyone is pansexual at this point. I feel like this show doesn't make a big deal about non-hetero intimacy and I think that's what I like about it.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Dick Josh kept talking about "the quickening" is that a reference to the Highlander movies? The tagline in those movies is "there can be only one" or something similar. Does this mean there can be only one Josh? Is he destined to be killed over and over if they keep crossing timelines? Or does it mean that only one timeline succeeds?

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh, I know. I was using "straight" and "gay" loosely.

Would having sex with magical creatures like werewolves be included under the umbrella of pansexuality?

Obviously!

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Is "the tower at the end of the world" or whatever a nod to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

Am I just making connections that aren't there and reading too deeply into things?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
You mean his son.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Q's dad's cancer is like Lisa's mom's from The Room. Just let it go.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Well thanks. I'm gonna go have another cry today then.

I'm not crying, you're crying!

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Successfully held back the tears when Elliot was pouring his heart out to the memory of Q.

drat I love this show.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
If I remember correctly Margo was pretty unlikeable early season one but once they fleshed her character out I think she has earned her loud mouth and arrogance. Strong women are often perceived as bitchy just to keep their voices heard and I feel like Margo knows that and doesn't give a poo poo because she gets results.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
What was written on the paper in the library after Alice looked something up in the index?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Unlikely. As I understand it he asked to leave.

If you had magic powers and a friend sacrificed themselves to save the world, wouldn't you at least try to get your friend back? It's one of the stages of grief ... Bargaining. Trying to do what you can to undo the hurt from that loss.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I wish I could be as well dressed as Elliot. God drat that man is beautifully dressed.

Alec Eiffel posted:

True. And I suppose it’s better than never acknowledging his existence. But if I didn’t know any better, I’d assume he’d be coming back at some point.

I wouldn't rule out a flashback or brief summoning cameo, but yeah he's out.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Yeah, I was on the verge of tears through that. loving uglycry already, Elliot.

Margo is all about burning bridges right now, eh?

Episode description was on point yet again. "Description Eliot and Alice go for a hike; Fen gets a haircut."

Aexo
May 16, 2007
That's not her Penny though... Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Yeah that didn't age well, did it? :)