Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

blue squares posted:

what the gently caress

The Beast scene in the books is genuinely the scariest scene I have read in YEARS. And this loving poo poo show hosed it up. They also turned Elliot into yet another TV gay nancy boy stereotype

Eh, I think they kind of nailed Eliot's character - his mannerisms weren't what I expected, but they got the aloofness down pat. Penny I think they also generally got right. Everyone else - bleh.

Hopefully this show turns around because I did enjoy the books, but so far I'm disappointed. It tends to veer towards being extremely dark, in the vein of the books (ripping out the dean's eyeballs! fat from a corpse!) to the utterly mundain. Pacing is off, tone is inconsistent...it's far from irretrievable, but I've got a few more episodes in me before I throw the towel in. SyFy-itis is real, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rocksicles posted:

Team Darkside is really killing it. Level 50 girl is a total bad rear end.

Level 50 girl terrified the living poo poo out of me because she looks EXACTLY like an ex of mine. I actually went to the IMDB page to make sure it wasn't her.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Not a fan of that episode whatsoever, just didn't sit well with me at all. The Pennies were funny, but everything else in the dream felt very forced.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah, where the hell is Josh? Of all the characters they had to lose, why him dammit?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

That death was...kinda rough. SyFy did that part right, jesus.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The nails in the board was a really cheap joke but it made me laugh much harder than it should have.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This episode is starting out far too loving goofy, I'm gonna have to revisit later.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

geeves posted:

What's even worse: That just as they were starting the ritual to summon the mother, Julia realized she has found what she has been looking for all this time: friends. It was that quick moment of happiness that made the Reynard stuff all the more horrible.

I think we'll see Reynard, but the rape part will be dropped for obvious reasons. They're already setting Julia up to have some sort of connection to gods already - they'll still summon Reynard (or insert other malevolent spirit) but he'll just kill them, leaving only Julia/Asmodeus alive.

If that scene shows up even remotely similarly in the series it'll be a pretty dramatic departure from what I'd expect in a SyFy show, generally speaking.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Oasx posted:

The show has definitely improved in the last few episodes. I find that the closer it sticks to the books the better it is, apart from Penny I can't think of any change that hasn't made the show worse than the books.
Julia's story has especially been bad and has just skipped everything that made it interesting.

It is too bad that they are nearing the end of the first book, I don't think the two others are really on the same level. I am also afraid of what they are going to do with Fillory, the show seems to be running on a shoestring budget, not exactly ideal for where the story is going.

I enjoyed the third book quite a bit - and I think it could translate well to being on TV. The second book will be more difficult, especially given the budget constraints the show appears to suffer from.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

"Well, High King sort of makes sense"

I laughed way too hard at that.

Edit: Solid episode. Interesting that they brought Marina back, curious to see where they go with that.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 12, 2016

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Who played adult Martin/The Beast?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Thanks....weird. Dude looks really familiar but he hasn't been in anything I've watched.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Part of the challenge is that the source material for The Magicians is so much more limited compared to Game of Thrones or Walking Dead. It's difficult to even know when and how they'll depart, what they'll include, or what may be moved around for pacing reasons. I'm cautiously optimistic based on the trailers, but then again this IS SyFy - and I honestly had completely forgotten this show existed (even though I read the books) so clearly the first season didn't make a lasting impression on me. It's difficult to even compare the books to the show without potentially spoiling something because nobody knows what will or won't be a spoiler.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

AngryBooch posted:

I forgot where Kady/Asmodeus went. I think its time she returned to Julia's story line.

Eh, if it follows the books even remotely, Asmodeus will go after Reynard on her own, and with Penny stuck on earth until he figures out his hands the show might break off their storyline for awhile. It would make sense, since they were a couple last season. I really like the direction this show has gone, overall. A lot of the pacing issues with the first season seem to be mitigated or resolved, and now that the show has caught up with the first book, it gives them the rest of the season to get to the beginning of the second book. There was a significant time jump between the two, so again, that would make sense.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

coyo7e posted:

I forget, where did the burny bracelet come from and what was its point, again?

I don't remember where it came from, but remember the dagger at the end of S1 would burn anyone who wasn't a "master magician," so I'm assuming it was acquired as a test of when Alice's powers would begin to fade, and at what rate.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rhyno posted:

The Brakebills Prof said he sent Quentin there. It's entirely possible they have an relationship where they place students in that company.

IIRC, this is a thing in the books. There's a tertiary character (Emily Greenstreet?) that takes a job doing nothing at an investment bank or venture capital firm, it's strongly hinted that it was arranged by Brakebills and that it's not an uncommon arrangement. I don't remember why she did it in the books, though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

If they were smart, we'd have already met him in passing. A character we thought of as a throwaway actually turns out to be important.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

STAC Goat posted:

They implied the Wellspring in Fillory was feeding the magic on Earth but like the "plumber" specifically went to Earth and the Library to shut off magical valves in those places too. So its not like just shutting off Fillory shut everyone else off. The "plumber" just made his rounds.

And yeah, I could buy the idea that Julia can tap into magic because there's some leftover in her from the demigod baby or her shade coming back from the afterlife. But I imagine there's a larger answer than that since obviously they're going to bring magic back. Julia might have just been the first person to get there because she was repeatedly described and presented as a gifted and determined magician who could see and do things others including the Dean couldn't.

But I guess maybe the first theory could hold true and they could all get at magic by tapping into all those other creatures that have a touch of magic in them the way that first one of Reynard's baby's mommas did with whatever was in the kiddie pool.

I took the plumber as a near-literal example for how magic worked and flowed from one realm to another. Until Ember and Umber died, the leaks were too inconsequential to fix, but when you start killing off lesser gods, you get the handyman called in. Now the question becomes where do Julia and Alice come into all of this. Julia connected with OLU - who is clearly a higher god, as the mom of Reynard. Similarly, Alice has some insight into the whole system, she explicitly described someone turning off magic. Between the two of them, I wonder if it's possible for them to find and/or create new leaks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

How did S3 wind up? I got sidetracked by life about 3-4 episodes in and never went back to it. Worth starting over, or not really?

Edit: I did enjoy the first two seasons and have generally thought that the farther they get from the books, the better the show is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Awesome, I'll start over from Ep 1 this week then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

iNteg posted:

I enjoyed the books, they were a good read... the TV show is leaps and bounds ahead of the books, the original ideas and takes on the books basic concepts has been phenomenal.

Having only seen the first two seasons, I don't know if I'd agree with this. I'd say that the books as written would have been incredibly difficult to faithfully adapt to a TV show, so they made the (correct) call to deviate and make it more appropriate for the medium. Basically the opposite of what Zack Snyder did with Watchmen.