Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had no idea there were any books until I opened this thread so I'm seemingly coming at this from the completely different direct from most of you. I don't care about the books, I have no expectations or pre-existing idea of what "should" happen. I'm just watching the show.

There was definitely a time compression issue early on that even I noticed. I understand why they did it. I'm actually really glad they skipped all the Harry Potter "magic school" orientation (especially since I happened to recently watch a marathon of the HP movies and got sick of that stuff quick). But it definitely played awkward going "Here's Quentin and Julia -> Q&J are now fighting about kid's magic -> Q&J are now taking a magic school entrance exam without any explanation or question -> J is now depressed she didn't get in and Q is indoctrinated" so quickly and awkwardly. I like the basic idea, I'm glad they glossed past "orientation" and right into the stories for both characters, it just could have been handled better.

Otherwise I have no real complaints. The characters aren't all fleshed out but its two episodes in and there's no character that seems doomed. I like the idea that the school isn't really the point of the show since that doesn't sound too interesting to me. I'm not sitting her wishing for my study or class scenes. I got the idea that magic came down to hard work, acumen, and practice rather than just being some natural skill. I don't think any more focus on that is terrible necessary although you folks seem to suggest that its a much bigger part of the books.

I don't see Quentin as a "chosen one". I mean, obviously him and Penny are some kind of important somehow but I think between Penny being a naturally more skilled/more advanced magician and it being establish Q isn't exactly taking to this keeps it from being some overt savior story. Right now Quentin's more Ron than Harry. And Alice didn't remotely say "Hermione" to me despite her being a studious over achiever. Her main character to me was that she seemed deeply damaged and is hiding things.

I don't know, I'm intrigued. There are worse ways to kill 40 minutes a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tiggum posted:

My suggestion would be to cut most of episode one and just introduce us at the point where the protagonist is already at magic school. I honestly don't think you'd have a harder time following this starting at episode two than at episode one. This episode was just so much easier to follow and actually introduced characters and plot elements in ways that worked, whereas episode one just jumps from one thing to another so fast you don't know what's important or how anything relates to anything else.

I think if they had like thrown the whole seance/beast attack storyline in before Julia's party then it would have worked fine. Have the attack happen and Q freaking out that he's going to get expelled, have Julia's boyfriend call about the party and guilt him into going, then have him encounter Julia, find out she remembers, and try to talk her into giving it up. Not only would it have established a longer timeline and made his stay at the school feel longer but it also would have sort of justified him being kind of a dick friend and not really dealing with Julia being a mess because he was too preoccupied with his own guilt about calling the beast, the horror of it, and his fear he was getting expelled. Q saying "You don't want to go there, you don't know what horrible poo poo happens there, I'm going to get kicked out anyway because I hosed up and people got hurt" would have played better than "school's hard and I might flunk out, so just forget it."

Then you end the first episode with Q barely staying in school and Julia starting down her independent study path. That might have required a 90 minute pilot or something but it probably would have been smoother.

But whatever. What's done is done. Pilots are rarely flawless.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have zero problem with the off brand magicians all having fancy clothes. Like, if a bunch of people were being taught magic and questionable morals than I would completely expect their first act to be stealing money from ATMs. And if I was some power tripping magician trying to build a gang I'd probably seek out pretty people with their poo poo together over a bunch of losers in sweats and flip flops. Seems to make sense for people who are focused on power and personal gain over all else.

And Julia looks plenty strung out to me. I'm glad that they're not overdoing it and making her full on junkie. She looks exhausted and ragged like she's spending every waking minute playing with magic and neglecting everything including sleep. That's playing better for me than if she was itching or some silly junkie hint. I was actually struck during that Julia/Quentin scene that Julia looked SO much worse than she did back at the start of the show. And then lying to her boyfriend in a way that seems harmless enough but its probably the next step towards abusing magic and betraying people sold for me.

My only major complaint at the moment is I don't like Quentin at all, and that's kind of a problem since he's the main character. His constant condescending dismissal of Julia is a huge part of that, but I guess at least he kind of realized he was a dick later. But it also doesn't help that he seems to be the only person on the show who I'm not convinced can do magic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that one hadouken he threw is like the sole sign they've given that Quentin can do any magic that Criss Angel couldn't probably pull off. When every episode has Julia learning new stuff, Alice doing all kinds of stuff naturally, and Penny discovering brand new life ruining powers Quentin really stands out as the guy who doesn't seem to belong.

Its also what makes me not like him at all for the Julia stuff because from our perspective it really does seem like she got a lovely deal due to flawed standardized testing or something. Because she sure seems to be kicking Quentin's rear end in the learning department. But there he is still holding over her that he was accepted into the school and she wasn't so he's just better. That would be obnoxious under any circumstances but when the whole thing was started with the idea that Quentin is "chosen" for some reason so he was gonna get in anyway it just feels like the guy born with a silver spoon making GBS threads on the genuine overachiever.

I suspect you book people are going to be miserable if you can't let go of expectations and see this as an alternative take. If they're burning through things as fast as you guys say then the only logical conclusion to me is that they really have no intention to keep the show to the books. Maybe it will take until Season 2 or 3 (if it lasts) but I'm sure like most shows SyFy would love this thing to be a hit and go as long as it can be worthwhile and whatever direction they want to. It just seems like the nature of adapting a book to TV unless you committed to it being a mini-series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I tend not to judge new shows too harshly as I don't think many shows come out of the game on fire. The occasional show does. Some have a really compelling meta plot that hooks people. Some has some standout actors/characters/elements. This one has me watching because it has an interesting world which I'm curious to see revealed. Its been moving fast enough for me on that front (arguably too fast as many people have critiqued) so I'm comfortable with the show.

A show doesn't really have to HOOK me until the end of the season. If you're entertaining me enough to keep me watching I'll do that, but if you want me to care enough to come back next year you better give me a solid reason. Right now the show's good enough for me to watch to see what's next but it definitely hasn't given me the hook yet. But there's obviously this Narnia stuff on the peripheral so I'm assuming that will pick up later.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oasx posted:

It makes sense that you can't adapt the book word for word, you need to make some changes. But we have a ton of examples of tv shows that aren't afraid of going at a slower pace in order to tell a good story.

If it is a matter of the show not having a big enough budget, then they are going to have a big problem later on when they get to Fillory.

I mean, I've never read the books but from what I'm reading here it seems clear that the show doesn't change things because they HAVE to for time or money, they change it because they want to.

And you can dislike that if you're devoted to the original version but its not new or inherently bad that the tv show is its own interpretation of the story. It sounds like that's clearly the case here so book lovers are probably going to have to decide for themselves if they can get past that and take the show for what it is or if that's just too big a hangup.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WarLocke posted:

I mean I get this and there's nothing wrong inherently with how this show is being handled, but it still feels kind of awkward when The Expanse is on the same channel to compare it to.

I mean, there's always been shows that stay faithful and ones that just say "I like the basic idea but I have my own spin on it." I guess I can see how people who were appreciating the Expanse for a faithful adaption would have built up hopes for the Magicians to do the same but at the same time SyFy's had plenty of more liberal adaptions in recent memory too like Being Human or Battlestar Gallactica or whatever shows I can't think of because I'm not really a sci fi guy.

And again, I'm not saying you can't dislike this take on The Magicians. You can dislike it on its own merits or you can just be too disappointed by the changes to enjoy it. I'm just saying it sounds like from what I'm reading that the show has more things different from the books than similar so that's just the way its probably going to go.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's how I felt while watching Harry Potter but I don't get why anyone would care about a fake game that's only there as a plot device.

I get that everyone keeps saying I'm supposed to not like Quenton but it's still weird considering he's the main character. And yet every episode I feel compelled to yell at him that he should stop being a self absorbed douchebag and call his best friend since childhood who is clearly going through some hosed up poo poo. Like, you'd think I'd give him more leeway after the whole "Julia used magic on him and it nearly killed him" thing but seeing as how she felt horribly guilty and lost everything to save him and he's like "are you going to kill her? No. Ok, done." I still find myself really disliking Q.

Here's hoping there's some big resolution coming where Julia and Q have a big hashing out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Part of my impression has been that hedgewitches simply suffer from having no safety net. Like, Quention should be dead like 5 times over now but the school structure keeps bailing his rear end out. On the flip side Julia was loving around and nearly set her apartment on fire. Given enough time she's either going to kill herself, piss off that mean magician lady and get killed, or just burn out in general. So basic Darwinism probably keeps the hedgewitch population low while Brakesbill gets them through some of those rough patches until they learn how not to kill themselves.

In the end the goal of magic seems to just be money, power, and self satisfaction but I guess being a fully trained magician just gets it all a lot easier than stealing a couple of hundred dollars from an ATM and tricking for tricks.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 19, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know. I don't love this show. Its riddled with problems and it doesn't feel like a lot is happening. But from the way you book readers talk I don't have any interest in reading the books and I thank the show runners for making the changes they have. The only things keeping my interested at all are Julia's story and the Fillory/Beast stuff metaplot and from the sounds of it that stuff is all either show created or pushed up in advance from later books. My biggest complain about this show is that the Brakesbill crowd are all self absorbed assholes who don't seem to be doing anything to warrant a TV show and it sure sounds like the group message is "they're even bigger assholes who spend more time doing less in the books!"

Which... like, I guess the best comparison I can think of is that a more accurate adaption would have been Girls with magic, and that sounds like the worst show in the world to me but I guess a lot of people love Girls.

vseslav.botkin posted:

Mageina Tovah.

The Shield! She was the angry prostitute! Wow, I never would have figured that out without Wikipedia/IMDB.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Imagine the kind of damage Nancy could have done to everyone and anyone who ever loved or even met her if she had magic at her disposal instead of just the power of being a hot lady suffering a midlife crisis.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its a three year study so 3 seasons seems easy. The school is mainly just used as a setting anyway so its not a big deal. This isn't Harry Potter where we're spending a ton of time on classes and studying. I mean, yeah, there have been whole episodes around a new lesson or school thing but its all been pretty different and out there instead of just people sitting around reading books and playing with their hands.

One of my complaints about the show is that they really haven't done a good job establishing the authority/wisdom of the staff at Brakebills. If they had than Brakebills hanging around would make a lot of sense as a resource for the characters whenever they go off on whatever adventures they're headed in. There's been a little of them going to the staff for help but mostly the message has been "we don't know, figure it out."

Which I actually think is an interesting implication since based on what's happening in Julia's and Penny's storylines the impression I get is that Brakebills doesn't really know poo poo. When you start to add up the little things we've heard from people it starts to paint a pretty clear picture.
Antarctica Teacher - "using your hands and words is a crutch"
Dude from Sex World - "on my world all magic is sex magic"
Girl in Neitherlands - "People from Earth always have the weirdest magic"
Drug Counselor - "Brakesbills is right that there's a glass ceiling the way THEY do magic"

The common message is that Brakesbill's whole study and weird hand motions understanding of magic is really just one way of doing it, and possibly the weakest way. I kind of compare it to when I was a little kid I tried to teach myself to play piano but instead of learning how to read music I numbered each key and learned the order of which keys to hit for songs. It was a tons more work than was unnecessary and wasn't at all transferable to other songs so I never actually learned how to play piano or read music even if I can awkwardly come up with a few songs. That seems like how they're learning magic at Brakesbills. They don't know the code so they're writing their own more complicated code that only gets them so far. They might learn some tricks but most of them have no idea how to "read" magic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know all the book readers keep saying I'm not supposed to like Quentin but I do find it funny that right when I was starting to like him the show made sure to cut that poo poo off at the pass.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kinda liked Cancer Puppy. It was a cute/funny/sad idea and it very quickly addressed a limit that the show was going to have to deal with sooner or later, "does magic cure disease?" Cancer Puppy basically introduced the idea that its theoretically possible but no one has figured out how to do it with killing themselves or the patient. And of course that now leads directly into the Free Traders seeking a higher power to help them get there.

Like, when I think of "inexplicable" my first thought was that weird game that came out of nowhere, accomplished nothing, and then went away.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WarLocke posted:

This was kind of taken care of by, well, the entirety of the book series though. Like, the gangs graduates and then they're all 'ok so what now'? And just devolve in ennui. Although I suppose showing it explicitly isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Yeah, see I didn't read the books so I have no idea if its dealt better with in them or something but for the show I think it made sense to establish some basic boundaries and defined rules for the magic, especially answering pretty obvious questions. "So, magic is real, huh? Can I make myself rich? Can I live forever? Can I bring about world peace? What's the deal?"

And establishing it early with Cancer Puppy and Q's dad plays directly into the whole Free Trader/Julia storyline, since the whole premise is that they're trying to break the rules Brakesbill set. Which from the sounds of it is either radically different from the books or at least heavily sped up.

To that end Cancer Puppy isn't an "inexplicable" change from the book. If the book establishes these rules and boundaries over a longer period of time before they introduce Julia's story (which is the impression I've gotten) then as soon as they choose to speed up Julia's story to make her part of the show they also have to find a way to establish the boundaries they're trying to break. And in that is born Cancer Puppy.

quote:

The game was actually in the books, although just as useless. :v:
See, as a non-book reader I'm way more bothered by stuff that seemed to be included in the show purely because it was in the book rather than stuff that got changed from the book because the show runners have their own vision. Not having read the books I really can't speak to what changes were "necessary" and what were "inexplicable" but my impression is a lot of these early moves that rankled book readers were really just world building stuff to help them adapt the books to their TV version.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was weird but I kind of gave it a pass because it theoretically served a purpose to get Alice and Quentin past their issues and have them hook up because they gave in to their "animal nature" or something.

But of course 3 episodes later Quentin gets drunk and cheats on her in a threesome so I dunno. Show's just unnecessarily sexually kinky. But its on the network that has a show that's basically someone having the super power of sex so I guess I'm not super surprised.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I've only seen a few episodes but basically what I've gathered is she's a succubus so she gets super powers from sex and can seduce anyone and is kind of rapey. And for some reason she's the chosen one of pixies or something. I'm really not sure. I just know the basic show drive is sex.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm just saying Lost Girl is kind of uncomfortably casually rapey and I think it may have desensitized me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Julia and Co getting ready to invoke a god and then them all being gone on mysterious "missions" with a euphoric Julia insisting everything is perfect is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay suspicious. I'd bet money that story ain't over and we're going to find out some poo poo. I mean, the episode started with the god's follower going "be careful what you ask for." This has "monkey's paw" at best written all over it and "repressed/drugged out horror" at worst.

not sure how Fillory or the Beast play out in the finale. If they have any kind of resolution or just get deeper in. But I assume Julia's god will either tie in with them in S2 or become the new main threat.

Like, I could see Julia saving the day against the Beast with some jacked up magic, someone in Fillory commenting on the kind of magic she used or the whole "god" thing leading the Brakesbill crew to question it, Penny getting really aggressive about finding out what happened to Kady, and then some big, horrific reveal. Part of me is even wondering if that's actually Julia.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't want to knock something you guys love and I've never given a chance, but man... Those spoilers sure are... Something.

Fast Luck posted:

And I believe he shows up with the button right after Quentin just cheated on Alice and everyone feels like poo poo and wants to die.

Show has gotten better recently but it was really dumb how Travelers are hearing this noise and they all resort to shooting themselves in the head and poo poo and then the Brakebills infirmary is like "oh yeah put this thing on your neck, done."

I mean

A) I didn't get the impression it was some approved Brakesbill policy. If I remember it right it was that one teacher going off book and breaking some rules based on whatever poo poo she had been through in the past. There's definitely more to the story between Penny and that one teacher. They've teased sexual tension in the past but there also seems to be some hint that she's got more of a connection than she's letting on.

B) Even if it was a widely known Brakesbill thing Alice's mom's boyfriend was some alien who presumably doesn't have any real direct connection to the school and Penny's mentor was some hermit who seemed to detest the school/magic community. So it's not like either was likely to call up the Brakesbill Dean and ask their advice on how to stop the voice they've been hearing most of their lives.

C) Plus travelers are basically implied to be depressed mental patients self medicating with booze and drugs because an evil force keeps talking to them and driving them insane. So suicide does seem like a kind of in character response. And, I mean, half the show is about magic, drinking, drugs, or sex to cover up that they're all vaguely suicidally depressed.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 5, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I didn't get to the part in the first spoiler and as for the second spoiler… what? Is this just another edge of tomorrow story?

So there's literally nothing special about Quentin or Penny that the Paramedic lady said that these two were chosen, other than the fact that they were chosen?

My takeaway was there's nothing special about Quentin and Penny. Its just that Penny's the guy who discovers the girl in the dungeon and can get them to Fillory and Quentin's the obsessed enough one to realize it is Fillory and push the issue. The fact that Elliot was the chosen King, Q accepted that Alice was the most powerful magician, and Julia ultimately ended up being the most pivotal player all just hammered that home. Q and Penny are just parts, they were just the two parts that Jane thought were key to get the ball rolling.

But as established by her 40 failures Jane doesn't necessarily have any great insight beyond experience. Which was really what the time loop reveal showed. Quentin wasn't "chosen." There was no prophecy or divine purpose at play. It was just trial and error experience from 39 failed loops.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was never totally clear on why the Wizards and Witches in the Harry Potter world had Magical Police and secrecy, to be honest. It all came off as pretty elitist and dickish to me what with all the "aren't muggles so quaint" stuff from people like the Weasleys.

This impression probably wasn't helped that twice in the span of less than 20 years the entire magic world got into a civil war over whether or not they should kill anyone with non-magic blood. That seemed like a pretty racist society. Even the ones who didn't want to kill "muggles" were condescending dicks who apparently couldn't be bothered sharing their magic to solve some world problems.

The Magicians world isn't much less hypocritical. Sure, on one hand they're all "whatever, be a dick if you want to be" but that doesn't stop them from erasing your memory if you fail their school tests.

Seems like all Wizards, Witches, and Magicians are dicks.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I didn't know the beast was a person. Looked pretty demon-y to me.

This gets explained as you go along.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Open Source is right. People should just use spoiler tags since there's plenty of peopl who have no interest in the books and don't want their viewing to be influenced by book stuff.

But also, yeah, its the internet so eventually someone is either going to accidently post a spoiler or do it deliberately to prove some kind of point. Its just the reality of these genre shows adapted from another source. Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, The Strain, whatever. If you care enough for it to bother you you're only real protection is not reading the thread.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sure but that doesn't negate spoilers. I've read the Walking Dead comics but the show departs widely from them. Nonetheless knowing what happens in the comics often ends up spoiling me on stuff that does get repeated or stuff that gets tweaked a bit. Or even sometimes when the show actively trades on the expectations.

A show like this means that just because you know what happens in the source material doesn't mean you'll know what happens in the show, but that doesn't change the fact that some people who don't know what happens in the source material want to watch the show clean.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Binged through the first season over the weekend. It's good trash and I love the reckless pace burning through the book plot for no reason when Brakebills is the only set they can afford. It's doomed to turn into shamefully low budget Tales From Fillory like the season finale but seems like a fun trainwreck. Huge fan of Penny and the show's obsession with swears and boobs they can't actually air.

I was seeing commercials to watch Season 1 "uncensored" on-demand and I was curious what the hell was there, until I finally realized it was all the curses that Magicians bleeps out and my mind just fills in for them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said my mind just fills it in. They're so clear about it that my head just covers the one syllable they pull out and I don't even notice its censored. That's why it took me awhile to figure out what was "uncensored" about the On Demand/Netflix episodes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I'm all for calling out objectification and all that but if you're watching Magicians and its not at least PARTLY for the overt sexuality of the show then I'm not exactly sure what you're watching for. Its like saying its not cool to call out Fillory for being a tongue in cheek, hosed up Narnia ripoff.

This show isn't reaching for higher things.

Like, I'm willing to bet they're just mad they didn't get on HBO so they could go full True Blood with the sex and boobies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think I'd compare the effects of this show to The Expanse. The Expanse's CGI is like all in space scenes and poo poo that don't involve actors. Magicians actually looks fine when its doing the wide Fillory shots or scenery stuff. Its totally different having a CGI think interact with a human actor. Look at Aftermath or Wynonna Earp or Van Helsing or any SyFy movie to see how bad that stuff can look on a SyFy budget. So I'm happy Magicians has largely kept it simple and avoiding having to have like a demon fox or talking ram or something that would probably look absolutely god awful.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

appleskates posted:

Wikipedia usually is an okay resource for catching up on shows.

Oh man, never check the Wikipedia for a TV Show that was from another source material unless you want to risk spoilers from the source.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

muscles like this! posted:

She's supposed to be a regular this season so she's getting paid even though she hasn't shown up at all yet.

I love how Eliot's taking full advantage of being High King with his fancy suit he was wearing this week.

What's really working is how much Elliot is fully reveling in the King thing played against how much Penny finds the whole thing so loving stupid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Campbell posted:

Quentin doesn't react well when he doesn't get exactly what he wants or how he wants it. That's part of what makes him a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, it pretty much fits that Quentin's wish was to run away instead of helping out his oldest friend who is trying to stop a raping, killing demon, or helping his closest friend run a kingdom that he's stuck in because of their quest, or just hanging around until Penny wakes up. Quentin's a douche.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean, we sympathize with Julia (I didn't even get the sense the thread cares about her hugely) because (a) Brakebills really hosed with her head and (b) she got raped by a demon pretending to be a goddess who would bring her peace. gently caress, even Margo and Elliot were sympathetic to her after Quentin explained why she stole the dagger. And Margo was again sympathetic to her after she explained what she was dealing with. And Margo's a total rear end in a top hat.

I can sympathize with Quentin's general mental unwellness but that got eroded away quickly by the way he treats people and his complete self absorption. Maybe that makes me unsympathetic to his particular problems but eventually that poo poo's going to wear you down.

And obviously we're supposed to kind of hate Quentin because literally every other person on the show takes turn yelling at for the same poo poo we don't like him for.

That being said, Julia's obviously got her selfish and thick headed traits. But at least she has the excuse of being twice over traumatized by magic and having a serial killing rape fox to deal with.

edit: Did I say twice traumatized? I forgot Katy's mom dying in front of her. Or all the hosed up poo poo the hedge witches put her through. Julia's life has basically been nothing but trauma since Brakebills first hosed with her.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 18, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only things we saw Julia doing pre-Brakebills was encouraging Quentin to socialize and talk to a girl and walking with him to his graduate school interview. The show has never seemed to suggest Julia ever "led on" Quentin or was manipulating him. The only time that even came up was Quentin getting angry at her for "friend zoning" him or some other self absorbed nonsense that is in no way the woman's fault. Like, was Julia supposed to stop being friends with her oldest buddy because he had a crush on her and wasn't mature enough to get over that?

That was just one of the many moments I came to hate Quentin because his response to "you lied to me about this huge thing that was loving with my head and cut me out of your life" was "yeah, well I always wanted to hook up with you and you didn't!"

I mean, I get that it may "trigger" MRA people who complain about "friend zoning." But that doesn't make them right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't Quentin go to the same Ivy League school Julia did and was going to an Ivy League Graduate School interview when we met him? And he grew up with her. Why should we assume that he's somehow considerably worse off than her? Did I miss something?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it was made pretty clear that she got into Brakesbill and joined the Beast/Fillory group/quest in all the other timelines and that the only reason she didn't this time is because Jane was throwing poo poo at the wall and hoping that if she sent Julia on a different path it might get poo poo done.

Which, actually, I guess Jane was right about in a round about way. And I guess you could argue that being raped and traumatized is better than being murdered by the Beast. But Jane's still a dick.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, I have no doubt there's some pro-life people somewhere CLAIMING its a pro-life message but its literally a woman desperately wanting an abortion because she was raped by a serial killing demon but she can't because the demon baby forces the abortion doctor to kill herself leading to the woman to explore more dangerous forms of abortion in no small part because she's terrified of what her demon baby might do.

Like I said, I know there are pro-lifers who will claim it because I know some of those nutbags who will twist themselves into knots to try and get something culturally on their side. But at that stage they may as well be calling Rosemary's Baby pro life.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The implication was that the company was a place that Brakebills regularly sent traumatized magician washouts and there were other companies like it. It makes sense that Brakebills would have connections and place people who they felt some kind of responsibility to so they don't end up alone and desperate. It also means there's probably a couple of people at the company who might be on the lookout for other magicians.

As for her up-and-down reaction to magic I think its safe to say she's still working through her own issues with magic and her traumatic experiences.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Julia's not especially relevant to this. For one, she was "supposed" to have her memory erased and know nothing of magic. For two, we know that she was purposely thrown aside and thrown into a desperate situation because Jane hoped it would speed up her learning and change the battle with the Beast.

Since Jane Chatwin isn't personally loving with every student in Brakebills, and since Marina's backstory establishes that if you're at Brakebills long enough they don't erase your memory of magic because it isn't practical, then it stands to reason that they have some kind of simple approach to what you do when your school accidently traumatizes someone and they want to get out.

So "here's a stable job so you aren't desperate and tempted to use magic just to survive" is a simple enough thing to do, considering the school certainly has plenty of powerful alumni with companies they can throw random people into with no real difference made.

Brakebills as an institution may be callous and irresponsible but we've seen that the Dean and professors aren't inherently amoral or uncaring.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, sure. I think you could argue that she was felt "violated" or that she was simply annoyed at his casual usage or she was just up and down about her emotions due to her own history with it. But I think it all kind of comes back to the fact that she clearly is still dealing (or not dealing) with her own magic problems and he just kind of set her off by doing that (so casually, to her, without asking).

And yeah, never mistake me for sticking up for Quentin. I'm still judging him for leaving Penny unconscious in the middle of a magical forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The curse didn't seem to be any kind of confirmed knowledge. I got the impression the dumb rules of non-Narnia just say only Earth people can be royalty and they hadn't had any regular visitors since the Beast took over.