Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cast Iron Brick posted:

The Magicians trilogy is my favorite book series.

It's in my top 5. :hfive:

I'm going to watch the pilot once I get back from Star Wars tonight, but I'm dying to know: any sign of Josh being in the show? Any at all? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The ending of that episode was super hosed up! I like the moth motif for the Beast.

Here's some stuff the author said about the adaptation:

Lev Grossman posted:

They’re showing the first episode of The Magicians tonight — it’s at 10pm on Syfy — and I thought I should post something ahead of time to kind of ease you through the transition. Because some things in the show are Not The Same.

For example: the characters are a few years older than in the books – they’re entering graduate school rather than college. Also in the books we don’t learn about Julia’s life and her world until the second book, but in the show she’s a major character from the start. And Janet’s name is Margo. Penny is way more badass than Penny in the books. Also there’s an extra Physical Kid whose name is Kady.

Some things from the books don’t happen, some things happen differently, and other things happen that are nowhere in the books. When you see this stuff you may find yourself asking, why, great triple-horned god, why?

The answer to all of this is basically, because of TV. It’s a different medium, and you tell stories differently there. Not everything translates directly.

That may sound a little glib. And believe me, there were a few changes that I got hung up on along the way (I didn’t write a word of the show, but I saw and weighed in on each script, and on rough cuts of the episodes). But you know what? After a while I got over it. The people who made it are mega-fans of the books, and whatever changes they made, they did it to get as much as they could of the feel and spirit of the books on screen. They are in very, very good faith.

I’m a huge fan of the show. I get psyched every time they send me a new episode to watch. It’s dark, it’s smart, it’s weird, and it’s very funny. It’s cool to see the magic on screen. The actors are acting their hearts out.

So give it a shot. There’s really nothing else like it on TV. I’ll be watching too.

I'm in for the ride, even though I know they'll have to leave out a whole ton of cool stuff from the books.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah the audiobooks are seriously the best I've ever listened to, the narrator Mark Bramhall does such an incredible job. The only drawback is he totally murders an Australian accent in the second book. It's pretty cringe inducing. But everything else is perfect.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ahaha Lev Grossman's cameo in the 2nd episode.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

geeves posted:

That would be keeping the spirit of the books. Actually there is one likable character in the books who isn't in the show.

Yeah, where the gently caress is Josh :negative:

And who the gently caress is this new "Katie" person they replaced him with??

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Watching now. This episode is so different but actually really good.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I guess they're going for a MOTW kind of thing with some of the episodes. I found it to be actually quite creative, until the reveal that it's just the Head Bitch of New York f(blank)ing with Quentin for some kind of contrived reason... Snooze.

All the interactions with the Pennies were completely hilarious, and made it all worth it though.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 9, 2016

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
In the books we get a feel for all the blood, sweat, toil and tears it takes for Julia to earn even just one star. Meanwhile Quentin's and classmates are pushed to their mental limits to remember all the conditions and exceptions attached to the simplest of spells.

In the show, it seems like magic users just hang out in a) a campus party house or b) a secret warehouse, with a bunch of well dressed people for a few weeks and you pick it all up, no problem.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Oasx posted:

If it is a matter of the show not having a big enough budget, then they are going to have a big problem later on when they get to Fillory.

Fillory will be a medium-sized soundstage made up to look like a forest with a clock tree in it, and a tavern interior set with about 40 extras in vaguely fantasy-ish clothing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It was this show's spin on the Monster of the Week: Spell of the Week. Honestly I thought it was creative, and I don't mind there being 1 or 2 of this sort of thing in each 13 episode season.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Also to anyone else who hate watches this and loves the books: any good book recommendations along these lines? I'm half way through Library at Mount Char and enjoying it quite a bit.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt, which along with The Magicians is one of my favourite books of all time.

Keep the New England exclusive college setting, keep the disaffected teens and ennui, keep the alcoholism, replace magic and Fillory with Ancient Greek and murder. It's an amazing, atmospheric novel.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
"If we don't have Josh, we never have to show Venice" said SyFy, and crossed another million off the budget. "Now let's talk about if we really need to go to Fillory."

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Magicians, more like The Ma-poo poo-cians

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well that was a pretty terrible season with some good moments here and there. I'll still watch next year, if only to see if they make up some new plot now or what.

But jesus, the books are like 40,000 times better. I need to reread them (or listen to the masterfully narrated audiobooks* again) to cleanse my palate of the show.

*well, except for the botched Australian accent

----

Oh and I am also disappointed about the lack of Humbledrum.

He was a good bear.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lev Grossman is literally the guy, the actual guy, who coined the phrase "The American Tolkien" about George "Grim" Martin.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It annoys me how cheap some of the adaptation choices are in this show.

Reynard the Fox? Meh, just make him a dude with coloured contact lenses.

Ember the Ram? Pfeh, just get a $20 satyr costume on Amazon and put a chubby dude in it.

It's crazy how Syfy made both this and The Expanse. The Expanse looks like a high-budget movie a lot of the time. This show looks like Xena Warrior Princess or Charmed at the best of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That change would be loving hilarious and I'd be on board with that