Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
So did anyone else have a lot of problems watching that psych ward episode in season 1?? That poo poo hosed up some of my friends and they quit watching after that. I totally get it tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
lol @ book mating for copying.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I love this show about mopey emo self-destructive assholes, aside from that asylum episode from season 1 this has been a fun existential romp through Traumaland.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
re: First season being bad, I definitely agree. I know at least TWO people who stopped watching the show as a direct result of the episode where Quentin was trapped in a psychiatric hospital in his own mind because it was too triggering, and understandably so. And they didn't even get to Julia's supernatural sexual assault either.

Everything season 1 built up, was expanded upon way better in season 2, but season 1 really did have some pretty horrific moments that makes it a very hard show to recommend to anyone. And many of my friends have trauma related to the most horrific moments of season 1, so.... if I were to "recommend" them, I'd also drop major big time content warnings. and if I have to do that to recommend a show... well, recommending the show isn't something I can do in good conscience.

That being said, episode 1 of season 3 was a blast. Bunnies were great. That party was pretty interesting. And yeah, I like Josh quite a bit.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhm, you're talking about the show being difficult to watch, or offputting because of its subject matter, right? i.e. whether it's upsetting or not.

I think everyone else is talking about whether the first season is poorly crafted television or not. Different thing.

i didn't think it was poorly crafted necessarily. I'm glad the show did recognize how horrible that spell was to do on Quentin. But it definitely felt overly edgy at times. *shrugs*

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
holy poo poo that was such a beautiful episode. The quest was the beauty of life. they lived a beautiful life together, that's how to solve the mosaic.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Atreiden posted:

That was amazing. The whole Mosaic scene was just so good. Really moving and well done. I really like this show but I didn't expect this from it.
Also it was kind of fun how it also answered the last page discussion regarding Quentin's sexuality.
Though man, if they remember everything, it most leave some emotional scarring from essentially just having lost a wife, child and grandchildren. Unless magic somehow make them exist.

they definitely existed, I'd love to see Quentin descendants in Fillory sometime. Margo didn't make that unhappen. It all happened--and now they remember it, and yeah I'm excited to see how it affects Quentin and Elliot's relationship from here on. That's some powerful The Inner Light level poo poo.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Alhazred posted:

Depression isn't logical.

also Fillory's air is .03% opium

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

DaveKap posted:

So much this. Shows that treat their audience like intelligent humans are few and far between. The fact Magicians manages to pull this off is a miracle.

So, hey, how has nobody literally used the phrase "fairy dust" yet? Because as soon as I realized it was ground up fairies (I honestly didn't think to figure it out so it hit me as soon as I saw the fairy's leg was chopped off) I laughed my rear end off. Here's this gruesome scene and I'm laughing because this show's cocaine analogy is... cocaine. Should've known from the start because that's the most in-the-nose clue ever.

FTFY

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
moment i loved: Kady and Julia's little United Front when Penny suggested killing Reynard. It seems like they're making up!

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
i was loving this episode up until the ending

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
i don't like this ending. not one bit.

Can we get more Elliot x Quentin life partner stories plz?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

cool kids inc. posted:

This was done at least one time on Supernatural. Some super rare Shinto blessed blade was needed, they didn't have it, into the woodchipper the baddie goes.

what happened?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
i want Quentin x Elliot back

edit: I just noticed Elliot's book is the only one on the list of "removed from circulation" books that says "Vol. 1". That's... not ominous.

Lupus Rufus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 11, 2019

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Anne Whateley posted:

I feel like I missed an episode, or a lot of episodes, between S4E3 and S4E4.

Why is Margo being nice to Josh like at all?

What timeline is this Julia from? This Julia went to Brakebills, right, so this isn't the Julia who studied hedge magic and was raped by Reynard? But then what was the whole deal about "I'm not fragile, people heal"?

No, it's the same Julia. It was her Witness Protection Identity from S4E1 and S4E2 that was attending Brakebills.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
It just occurred to me: will the monster eventually go after Reynard, only to find that whatever piece of Reynard he needs is actually in Julia?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
yo if Q and Alice are gonna get back together (and i can maybe understand from Q's perspective--he's still uncertain about their ability to save Elliot, so at this moment, he's... holding on to anything good he has), at least give them a scene where Q tells her about his life with Elliot.

But i'd much rather have Q/Elliot than Q/Alice.

mycomancy posted:

More like heterobore-mative...

This.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
fuuuuuuuck this show, why'd they do that? I shoulda expected that.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Tokubetsu posted:

on tumblr they seem mad about it because they were robbed of a queer romance

that's why i'm upset but it's not cuz of tumblr.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
obviously to grow the world seed they need to play sburb

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

DaveKap posted:

I thought last season's ending was the series finale. It could have been and I would've been alright with it.

This season's finale? Definitely better as a series finale. I shed a tear when Margo pushed the button. I'll miss you, Magicians; you were a drat loving good show. If we could never get the Wynn Duffy spin-off for Justified, maybe we'll get some kind of spin-off for this with, at least, the same writers.

SO! Now that it's over, I have one question that has been stuck in my head since season... 3? Old Alice. Who the gently caress was that. Why the gently caress was she there. What the gently caress happened?

I'm like 99% sure "Old Alice" is literally the mythological Greek figure Cassandra, that they didn't really wanna cast someone "unique" for the role so they just had Olivia Dudley pull double duty and play Cassandra, and then had Penny make meta jokes. I dont think she has any connection to Alice besides sharing an actress.

edit: I mean they do call her literally Cassandra in the show multiple times, i think they just wanted to do a meta gag about it since it's kinda obvious they share an actor.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Yeah i also loved the finale, and i went back after to watch some end of season 1 / start of season 2 stuff, and drat did the finale have great callbacks. Josh's first line in the whole drat series was "come with me if you want to live."

Also, i know the mystery of Eliot's two books wasn't explained explicitly, but thinking about it, maybe it kinda makes sense that he had two books because he was "living two lives" while he was going back and forth between his fleshbody and his golem-body when he couldn't leave Fillory. Just a theory i had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Nihonniboku posted:

I prefer the idea that one is for this timeline, the other is for the one where he lived with the love of his life Quentin.

But then why didn't Q have two books? :v tbf i actually think they just never got around to explaining/resolving this particular plot point.

The OTHER explanation i kinda thought of while rewatching season 2? Modulo that throne curse near the beginning of the season (where everyone quickly pulp-fictioned back to life), Eliot is the only one of the cast to have actually Died for real in a not-alternate-timeline-way, when he got killed during the bank heist episode and his soul was in limbo between the clay body and his fleshbody.

Everything about my theory comes back round to the golem eventually.