Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nihonniboku posted:

Season is rough, stick with it.

I watched it because I loved the books and wanted to see the adaptation. It struggled with a small budget, and an uneven tone where it was trying to follow the plot of the books and not really succeeding all that well. As the season went on, there were small moments that really shined, and they began to focus on those.

By season 2, the show become a wonderful guilty pleasure, and I eagerly watched it.

Season 3 it's now probably the most fun, and funniest, show on television.

It's a legit show after about 5 episodes. But i don't think it's a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

geeves posted:

Not downplaying this at all, but I think the horror episode at the Chatwin house Martin is raped. Eliot's response (then later juxtaposed with Julia) is when the show found its voice.

For me it was when "Top bitch in New York, for starters." was introduced.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Don't see the problem. Olivia was more fun as a redhead anyway.

Fauxlivia wore the gently caress out of her cargo pants.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Top bitch in New York, for starters. YES!

Marina and Penny reboot. What a sick loving episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

geeves posted:

Penny's new name will be Two Bits :rimshot:

Tuppence. Its legit currency

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

We need to talk about this some more because my Elliot mancrush is out of control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mfBt3mhtc

He's very... angular

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Rasputin posted:

Julia stealing screen time with her jeans?

Oi, shut up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not that bad.

Season 1 sure has it's moments.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I think Season 1's great.

Honestly, of the three seasons out so far, the one that I think is the weakest is the second. The various different subplots (Renard, the niffin plot, the misfortunes of Penny, Fillory, ect.) never end up intersecting with, or informing, each other, and at least two of them end with barely any resolution at all. Most of the plots end up climaxing in episode 12, and then episode 13 wheels on a minor character and attempts to have them take centre stage in a way that doesn't totally satisfy.

I mean, I liked it pretty much a lot. But if you're looking for a weak season, it's the second. The structure is a mess.

Julia, Elliot and Penny carry season 2.

And Kady, i guess.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I think Season 1's great.

Honestly, of the three seasons out so far, the one that I think is the weakest is the second. The various different subplots (Renard, the niffin plot, the misfortunes of Penny, Fillory, ect.) never end up intersecting with, or informing, each other, and at least two of them end with barely any resolution at all. Most of the plots end up climaxing in episode 12, and then episode 13 wheels on a minor character and attempts to have them take centre stage in a way that doesn't totally satisfy.

I mean, I liked it pretty much a lot. But if you're looking for a weak season, it's the second. The structure is a mess.

Julia, Elliot and Penny carry season 2.

And Kady, i guess.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lupus Rufus posted:

moment i loved: Kady and Julia's little United Front when Penny suggested killing Reynard. It seems like they're making up!

Julia really is the best. Stella Maeve's voice is so soothing when she's in god mode.
Penny 23 hasn't been a prick yet.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alhazred posted:

Kinda bullshit that Fen didn't get any toes though.

Toes? Julia can get her toes by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goddamn Particle posted:

The way Penny23 asks Kady if she's holding the truth key makes it sound like he's hiding something :shrug:

Unrelated, but how far in advance do they make the episodes? Because when Penny23 is checking the news on the laptop and says our timeline is worse than his, the headline on the screen says "White House Rolls Back Regulations After Mass Shooting."

You can throw a rock backwards or forwards in time and hit a mass shooting.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

The monster is Quentin's son.

Ember and Umbers attic brother, Dumber.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeal posted:

stella maeve should take up this goddessing thing full-time

Her Instagram proves she has :colbert:

I'm reading this article about Margo.

Margo’s ambition to invest herself in ruling Fillory earned her a cute little nickname from the writers in Season 2: “Fillory Clinton.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/03/magicians-margo-hillary-clinton-summer-bishil

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 4, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
wait... err... i... :3:

Elliot's fine, right? guys?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, so long as he's chancing some roleplay sex with girls in school uniforms, what could go wrong.?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alhazred posted:

Sy Fy is launching a new show about random people in random professions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfR9fdQJsa4

2019? gently caress

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It did work, she mentions living with them and going through that for six months before they got tired of her and told her the truth.

They tell her the secret to their weaponry is found in black grains of sand that are mixed i with their regular sand at like 10000/1 and every child must gather a bag full to forge into their first weapon. She spends the six months sifting sand for the black grains. After going through all of that and bringing the bag to the man she’d been sleeping with he laughs at her dumps out the bag to reveal she was just fooling herself into seeing the sand as black and that they would never teach their secrets to a “filthy earth whore”.

Should of used a Magnet

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Also, I know shows don't want to be seen as glamorizing suicide but did they really need to put the suicide prevention notice at the end of the episode when Alice was doing a fake attempt?

It wasn't a fake attempt, she attempted it. The risk was very real.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shooting Blanks posted:

How did S3 wind up? I got sidetracked by life about 3-4 episodes in and never went back to it. Worth starting over, or not really?

Edit: I did enjoy the first two seasons and have generally thought that the farther they get from the books, the better the show is.

You have to watch it, explaining it won't do it justice.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
God drat it, some noodle uploaded the stream in spanish. I had like 90 mins to watch tv today.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo it's James Earl Jones!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argue posted:

I got a bit lost, what happened with Marina? I assume Kady somehow offloaded a bunch of bad luck onto her and I guess that guy who called out to her was some kind of stalker? And can someone remind me why Julia's "bulletproof"? She gave up her godhood, so was there something else?

She used up her god sploosh, but seems she has residual sploosh.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just getting caught up on this season and watched episode 4 ( the one where Josh goes through the quickening). Who was the Isaac guy he was talking about who infected him?

Josh got the werewolf std when he and Julia went to Baccus's party back in season 2.
Issac is Josh's secret identity when they were all in witness relocation, he was an Uber driver with a big piece.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Oh i'll loving fry this lizard!"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

XboxPants posted:

Actually can every episode just be Fen-centric? She's the fuckin' break-out.

Her boyfriend looks like a total goon too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know it's a pretty small section of society that uses words like that on the regular right?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean i just took it as an enlightened Penny. He's let go of all his anger and released his burden so to speak.
I didn't find it weird.

More than half the world who would actually care about gender stuff are being beaten over the head with jargon they don't understand. Most people will just get onboard after the dust settles on the lingo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Von_Doom posted:

To assist: am I the only one waiting anxiously for the next musical episode? Both Penny’s can duet. I wonder what song they should sing. I just hope Eliot has a large part... and is shirtless. Also focus on his eyes and keep some stubble. And give him my number. <sigh>

NO, i can handle a lot of stuff, but i can't handle musical episodes. You get one!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Von_Doom posted:

In the spirit of a better world: how about a compromise? Just one cool musical number or two?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bxYEiZhSlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mfBt3mhtc

Its surprising how many of the cast have a decent voice... a nice mix that makes even those that aren't so stellar even more charming. Is it weird I want Margo to be my best friend? I love her character.

I'll allow it, only because Elliot and Bowie are good company.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mastershakeman posted:

Folks I have bad news, I was looking up some of the stars and what else they'd been in

Remember Peter Parker's landlords daughter in Spiderman 2 that was cute and kind of into him?

That's Zelda the librarian

I feel so, so so old

That's been brought up before i remember looking it up afterwards.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Alice sure likes to wear extremely tight shirts.

Paging Rhyno...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

Why else would I be watching this show.

Julie's pigtails are adding a whole new level to everything.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stella Maeve is doing an AMA tomorrow, questions going up atm is you want to ask hewr anything, or tell her she looks great in pigtails.

https://www.reddit.com/r/brakebills/comments/bed5ro/i_am_stella_maeve_i_play_julia_wicker_on_the/

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trevor Hale posted:

The biggest slow motion car crash in the world is watching an actor log on to twitter to ask what everyone thought of the episode when the fandom is already up in arms.

Poor Arjun.

many crys? i can't read the comments for some reason, so i need a twitter account to see them?
e: nevermind i was clicking on the wrong bit

After watching this just now i feel real sorry for Stella Maeve's AMA tomorrow.... will be tuning in for the car crash

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 18, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got downvoted to oblivion on reddit for saying it was a good episode and it didn't make me cry, lol.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tokubetsu posted:

on tumblr they seem mad about it because they were robbed of a queer romance

tumblr.txt

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

So... people on Twitter and Tumblr are mad because they can't ship Eliot and Q anymore?

More than a few would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trevor Hale posted:

My problem with that complaint is that the promise of a queer relationship was never suggested. A Life in a Day was a self-contained story where they hooked up and Q married a woman. And then this season, blowing off Q was Elliot’s largest regret, but Q was shown to move on and fall back in love with Alice.

To think that his death is a betrayal of their relationship, you’d also have to rewrite his reconciliation with Alice and now it’s not a “bury your gays” complaint, it’s a “I wanted my ship” complaint.

Now take that to r/brakebills and see how long it takes to get to -50 points.