Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Awesome, I hope it goes up. I tried shazaming it 10 times and got 10 different results!

It's original score, so it won't turn up unless they release a soundtrack, or the composer decides to release stuff on soundcloud.

And Will Bates, the composer, apparently isn't interested in even showing off promo tracks on his website.

http://www.fallonyoursword.com/work/#lg=1&slide=10

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trevor Hale posted:

To think that his death is a betrayal of their relationship, you’d also have to rewrite his reconciliation with Alice and now it’s not a “bury your gays” complaint, it’s a “I wanted my ship” complaint.

Yeahhh. I've also seen complaints about queer erasure, but I think that's part of that whole dumb deal where bisexual characters have to basically be gay forever or they don't "count" as queer anymore.

I reckon that a lot of people are pissed because they wanted hot (white) dudes macking on each other and didn't get that. Sucks, sure, and things could be better, but the outrage doesn't have the moral high ground. I mean, where was it when both the show's trans women were killed off? Or when Margot's pirate bootycall was butchered? This isn't a good faith platform, and I dislike that frustrated, overly invested shippers are poisoning a good argument while looking for someone to blame.

Like, I'm not saying that queer relationships on television couldn't be happier, they definitely could, and they could definitely be more intersectional and not nearly always be about white people -- but it's always the hot young people (The 100, Wynonna Earp etc.) that attract this kind of drama and I think it's pretty obvious why.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 19, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

It's because they were both leads that people are really emotionally invested in, they wanted to see it play out center stage

If it was just about hot white men boners, they would've been equally upset when Eliot's hookup/interest turned out to be possessed by the Beast and Eliot had to kill him, but they weren't.

Fair point, but I stand by the idea that people wouldn't give as much of a poo poo if they weren't so typical.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Julia would've woken up with one extra arm. In the best case possible scenario.

That'd be pretty useful in this setting tbh. Remember Martin magicking himself a pair of extra fingers?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Hardly surprising, Syfy has probably had a hard on for cancelling it for ages.

It's their best performing show, so that's unlikely.

I suspect Syfy's being shuttered generally, in preparation for NBC's streaming channel.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm happy for the show to be back, but I gotta say, I thought last season sucked pretty hard. Plenty of good individual episodes and gags, but a lot of individual plots didn't seem to go anywhere. The show seemed unwilling to pull the trigger on the Library actually being the villains, so they had to introduce this random bad actor (who was played by a perfectly fine actor to be fair to him) in order to usurp Zelda's obvious position as the show's big bad. At the same time, they dropped the Library's ongoing rare mage collect-a-thon plot, leaving Camryn Manheim plot hanging in the wind. (Hopefully they haven't lost her completely to Stumptown, she's great and the episode that focused on her was probably the season's best).

That and the Beast plot stalling for what felt like years -- wtf was up with casting an actress to play his sister v1 and then giving her no lines? -- the random disappearance of the McCallisters and faerie and underworld plotlines they set up and kept pushing for the first half of the season, the very sudden Fillory coup plot (also with no pay off and skipped over in the time skip, let's watch Fenn play nonsense hopscotch instead wtf) and the weird nonstarter Eliot/Quentin romance (which was presumably derailed by Jason Ralph leaving the show -- you can't exactly have your queer couple get together just before you kill one of them).

Some of this I'm pretty sympathetic to, particularly that last one, because life gets in the way a lot when you're making serialised stuff like this, but there was a point about halfway through the season when I was really, really enjoying it all, but something completely derailed most of the ongoing plots about two-thirds of the way in and I just stopped caring.

Rhyno posted:

I've said several times now, I came here for OTD but I stayed for Summer. She's incredible and the life she gives Margo is fantastic.

The ongoing ascension of Margo was the best thing about last season. The actress is OTT as gently caress, but she's also kind of incredible.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 6, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I have strong memories of being destroyed or something like that happening during season 2?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

I thought margo kept it, i assumed it went into the sex toy box.

Wait no I think you're right, and it might have been Eliot's double that was destroyed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Invisible Castle owned.

Also, IIRC, it's not that Season 1 had a small budget, but that they hired out a lovely SFX production company that they replaced in the show's second season. As a rule, budget tends to decrease between seasons. Hence cost cutting measures like magic being gone.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How long until they all die. I give them two more shots before at least one croaks it.

Edit: Lol at Future Fillory's description of Alice's reign. She died, and then she wasn't dead and I guess she just hosed off or whatever. She didn't really care.

Oh yeah, and that reminds me: anyone else think the future king looks like the Aussie from the faery slaver family?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 17, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Fenn is consistently delightful. Dead Fenn doubly so.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah I'm pretty sure Quentin sudden absence was a Jason Ralph decision rather than anything else. No way the show would start shipping its queer characters together just before murdering one, it's way too proud of its woke credentials to not at least be aware of the problem.

I assume that's why the back half of the season did such an aggressive pivot into Alice/Quentin shipping, in order to blunt the effect.

I'd be very happy seeing Eliot get a sustained love interest too, though I'd also be keen on seeing him get a hair cut lol. He's still got his Monster hair lol.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the last season was the first to use her properly at all.

I think it's hilarious that Fenn started out as a serious character who slowly became more cartoonish, and that Margot started out as a cartoon and became increasingly serious.

Now they compete to rule Fillory.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cailleask posted:

100% gotta be the dark king! Also Robin Hood from Once Upon A Time, so that was a nice surprise.

He's Quentin's kid too, right? Where else would a Fillorian magician come from?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Margot is just being a hypocrite. Probably because she didn't realise how much she cared about Josh until she almost lost him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
See A Penny, gently caress Him Up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aggro posted:

The Visigoth storyline came out of absolutely fuckin' nowhere and is a totally bizarre way to destroy the library, seemingly on a whim.

I imagine they're done with that location/set and want to get moving.

Which is dumb, because that place is where all the dropped plotlines hang out. (Elliot's two books, Alice's doppleganger, OG Penny).

I assume David Anders will be back though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Two books? Doppelganger? I have seemingly forgotten both these threads! I thought OG Penny was in underworld, or was that still an extension of library? I can't imagine the visigoths went that deep in their razing, could they even?

Alice has a twin who lives in the library basement, called Cassandra. She writes all the life story books and is super old and crazy.

For some reason, Eliot has two separate books describing his life in the library catalogue.

And didn't OG Penny work for the library, just forever and ever after death?

odinson posted:

Wait, what episode had whales?

The second one this week. Maybe you missed it?

Whatch it, it's real good.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 14, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
From the trailer I was geared up for a Todd-centric episode where he's turned into the bumbling "hero" that the rest of the main cast have to cover for as they go on some dumb Fillory quest.

Not super happy or convinced by this Dark King turn into the completely loving obvious.

Also not super happy that Tik Pickwick's arsehole descendent was apparently NOT called Dick Pickwick. Hope he and his ancestor get a scene where they try to out evil-ambassador each other.

Generally I just want more cute Fillory scenes.The show could afford to be at least five percent fluffier sometimes.

muscles like this! posted:

Poor exploding Todd. Also it is kind of weird that they explicitly said that all the supporting cast came into the future with Eliot and Margot but they haven't really been around.

Maybe Rizwan Manji is busy? He hasn't been on Schitt's Creek for a while either.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the only cast members not to play alternate universe versions of themselves now are Margo, Eliot, Julia and Kady.

We've seen alternate versions of Josh and Quentin from the version of history where Quentin becomes the Beast, both Penny and Marina are refugees from that time, and there was the alternate Alice way back in Season Two. Surprised they've gotten so much mileage out of the concept tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Well, there was the Margolem and the manifestation of Angry Margot in Eliot's head. I'm all for more Margos to be honest. Summer's range could give them all unique personalities.

She really is the breakout member of the cast. She's obviously mega hot, but I reckon she's also by far their best actor.

I'm going through her imdb and this appears to be her breakout role, so more power to her.

Apparently she was Azula in the live action Avatar the Last Airbender movie, which is both hilarious -- because that film was terrible -- and actually kind of good casting in retrospect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Didn’t someone lose their shade to move the moon?

I remember that scene too, and it wasn't resolved, was it?

Or did they change the terms of the deal somehow?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah, they did their absolute best to avoid him using his mind-reading powers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So this is loving hilarious, and uh, not technically a spoiler but I wouldn't read this if I didn't want to be spoiled about where this season is going: Sir Effingham, the questing pig introduced this season, is played by Sean McGuire. The Dark King, introduced two episodes later, is also played by Sean McGuire. He's not only behind the Fillory Taker conflict, he's orchestrating the prophecy to defeat him as well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, IIRC the Library's frozen in time to stop it from falling into a black hole. The only way its inhabitants can age is if they leave (hence Zelda being younger than her daughter). Even a one week contract with the Library is going to be a long one if you can't get off-campus.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm pretty sure the show has lost track of the emotional arcs for half the cast (at this point Fenn is a glorified extra, if an absolutely adorable one) but any episode that focuses on Margo, Eliot and Josh is good, since they're the three the show still has a good handle on. Fun use of the body swap conceit as a metaphor for codependency, undercutting the "at least we have each other" moral with something a little more complex.

Added bonus: the fungus subplot was fun and thematically relevant. And the Penny as the Dean plot is, well, an obvious bit of latter season character rebooting, but it's beginning to pay off

Fauxshiz posted:

Do WE know how Quentin got that paper and I'm just blanking on it?

No, this is all new stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ThePagey posted:

I am feeling pretty close to 100% that the protags are the harbingers of the pigman's apocalypse at this point and kind of had a moment at a bit of dialogue in the last episode where it all seemed to click--I'm gonna have to revisit and see if I can't pinpoint where it is.

Well (casting spoilers) the Pigman is the Dark King, probably.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Happy they've found a way to have Hymen be in more of the show.

Kinda amused by the way the show wants to destroy the Library and write off Dean Fogg, but whoops, it'd be too expensive to strike all our sets and not use our regulars so we've got to find ways to keep them around. The endless Fogg variations are pretty neat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I hope she hooks up with Hymen. They've had good chemistry in that one scene I thought.

Shame that they (for smart reasons) minimised her role a lot this season, given that it's their last. She's a good character played by a good actor, and I think she's one of the few who still has a lot of unexplored depth.

Quite like Plum too, she's the kind of character I'd have liked to see more of. Plus, she's somehow avoided the dead-within-three-episodes curse pretty much every guest star gets struck down by.

Is Botany guy ever coming back you think?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They've done a good job of this being a final season. All the cameos these last few episodes (Hymen, Marina, Hades, etc.) and a return of a lot of jokes that I get the sense were very popular in the writer's room this most recent episode ("Act out!"). It's going out on a much more cheerful note than I ever thought the show would.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wow, really?

I thought this season's been fantastic, and much much better than the way last year ended up by this point. I laughed and was moved, plus all the callbacks were nice. Good time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

I also really love that the cat absorbing all of Fogg's craziness seemed to have no influence on it.

I thought it was a pretty funny callback to cancer kitty from the first season. That cat's fine now, but give it a few weeks and it'll turn inside out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think there's at least one dropped plot point every season tbh. Eliot's second book, Quentin's blood, the Alice doppleganger, the other travellers who fell into the mirror dimension, the faery pact and the McCallisters, Fenn's alliance with the Lorian queen...

It was always the kind of show that just did whatever, for good and bad.