Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
The books weren't the best but I enjoyed reading them. Kiiinda got a little sloggy for me near the end but the first one was really enjoyable.

Tiggum posted:

Brakebills is the only magic school in the entire country/continent? That is the dumbest thing about the setting so far. With the number of hedge witches we've seen just in this one city, there must be significantly more of them in the world than actual magicians. There seem to be about as many young hedge witches in New York as there are students at Brakebills. How many must there be across the rest of the country? And how is magic kept secret from the general populace when so many people know about it?

How is there not a massive network of hedge witches though? The internet exists. In fact, you can Google real, working spells. There should be forums and reddit groups dedicated to hedge witches sharing their spells. And are there no real magicians feeding spells to them? Like, no underachieving magician who wants to feel like a superstar meeting up with hedge witches to show off and have them fawn over him?

Okay but imagine that there are a bunch of E/N rejects living in basement 'safehouses' trying to tell you that magic is REAL just come to this crack house equivalent and learn all about it or if the guardians of magic on the internet were depressed furry weirdos like Schmorky x10. You can google 'real' spells right now too but you don't because you (rightfully) think they are written by wanna be Wiccans or something. Now just imagine that if you took that secret ritual spell a bunch of internet strangers told you about and after practicing it hundreds of times it had some minor spell effect like making some light trails. Is it really so hard to imagine why only a certain few would actually take the time to a) track magic down and b) practice a seemingly psycho and useless thing to the point of obsession?

Idk I think you're getting a little too nitpicky over a book about magic. Most of those complaints apply to HP too but no one cares.

Fwiw in the books Brakebills graduates like what 15-20 people a year and they presumably scour the whole country for candidates? I don't think there's really all that many magic capable people really.

Also the fundamental difference between Brakebills and hedgewitches in the books imo is that the hedgewitches just practice spells handed down to them by the 'real' magicians, but they have no ability to either construct spells of their own or even understand the underpinnings of what they are doing. They're script kiddies basically; able to run commands on programs that other people have coded together but unable to make an .exe of their own or even write code. Yeah a very small few of them can get past that but for 99.9% of them it's just a fun hobby like 'check out this basic spell I can do that makes lights go different colors, cool huh?'

And I don't think a Brakebills grad cares about impressing a bunch of rejects as the books imply you can basically do whatever the hell you want; if you want to be rich and famous you can do that no problem so why bother impressing a bunch of basement dwellers?

e: geez lotta words sorry

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU