Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Tiggum posted:

What can magic even do in this world?

It can, like, give you meaning to live. To be that thing that you wake up thinking of :emo:

Books were bad, show is terrible. Aging people up only made everything look extra silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I didn't finish the first book but the game made no sense at all to me, it came across as one of the very big examples in my mind that I was reading a really lovely "adult" Harry Potter knockoff where he looked at quidditch and thought "I can make something like that" when no, you clearly couldn't. Then tried making it as meta as possible by saying how a lot of the characters didn't even understand it.

I was almost ready to give up when they played the psych ward trope but the Taylor Swfit song saved it. This week's episode was a lot better though. I think this show is weird because the only way I can describe it to myself is "aggressively mediocre". Not quite terrible, so far away from good, aggressively mediocre.

Also I think Julia was designed to hit every MRA fear possible.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 17, 2016

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Mind raped my former best friend to get revenge over something he had no hand in doing, but I apologized why won't he just drop it!

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I don't remember enough about Book Julia to say if it's accurate but from what I do remember she seemed more sympathetic than the show version. She's straight up super villain at this point in the show, attacking Quent, purposely putting James in danger for blackmail, etc.

Plus Stella Maeve has resting bitch face, that never helps.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Na'at posted:

And the main difference between hedgewitches and magicians is like getting a scientific education from Cal-Tech vs trading books from a 50 year old editions of the Encyclopedia Britannica with other hobbyists.

This isn't true though? A level 250 hedgewitch is supposed to be just as knowledgeable as a graduate of Hogwartsbill.

Also I just unironically said level 250 hedgewitch. Kill me now please.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

STAC Goat posted:

Part of my impression has been that hedgewitches simply suffer from having no safety net. Like, Quention should be dead like 5 times over now but the school structure keeps bailing his rear end out. On the flip side Julia was loving around and nearly set her apartment on fire. Given enough time she's either going to kill herself, piss off that mean magician lady and get killed, or just burn out in general. So basic Darwinism probably keeps the hedgewitch population low while Brakesbill gets them through some of those rough patches until they learn how not to kill themselves.

This doesn't really make sense though because Brakebills is constantly having people die. Hell they had an entire drat year of students die.

What it all boils down to is Lev Grossman being an Ivy Leaguer and instead of working it into every conversation he has like normal he decided to make a whole book out of it. Then two more.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

There is no logic behind his decision to make Brakebills "The' place. It holds up to no amount of rational thinking whatsoever.

You're literally looking for reasoning from a hack writer who got busted spamming Amazon with fake names to give his books positive reviews.

For less negativity, I want more Dean on the show. He's the one good actor and they need to start putting him in every scene even if it doesn't make sense.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 19, 2016

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Rhyno posted:

Hahaha what? This sounds amazing.

It was

quote:

in response to his novel Warp receiving largely negative customer reviews, he submitted fake reviews to Amazon using false names. He then recounted these actions in an essay titled "Terrors of the Amazon"[9]

Want something even more damning? He gave glowing reviews to all the Twilight books and called Meyers "the next JK Rowling". I guess that means he plans to copy her too :smugdog:

I'm sure the people ITT who liked Magicians will want to argue about him not being a hack so I'm not going to say anything else about it. The show seems to only be taking very small amounts of the books so it's probably meaningless what I think of the books anyway.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

This is neither a good show nor good books but we're all good posters here, pull up a chair and join us

Except for me, I'm not a good poster