Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know why all SyFy shows are cheesy and poorly made and poorly acted? Even their better stuff just comes off as flat. Other networks and Netflix seem to do more with less or similar. So, what the gently caress is the issue is with SyFy?

I really like the books but I am very OK with a show departing from the books but not when the show has poo poo-tier acting, effects, plot, etc. Elliot and some of the older actors are the only decent ones; everyone else was just hired because they're really pretty. Really, Elliot carries the show whenever he's on-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

Because they have no budget.

Sad that he sold the rights to SyFy. The show would've been great on HBO.

Also, I think they've changed a lot from the books because we'll never get to see Fillory. Everything is going to take place at the school.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

Low budget trashy Syfy channel is exactly where this belongs to me.

Because you don't like the books?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

I liked the first one enough to read the second one and haven't gotten around to the third, so it's not as if I hated them. But the books (that I did read) were pretty trashy and I think SyFy is going in the right direction with all this.

Magic is a drug *dubstep breakdown*

You're insane. Even if the books are trashy - and I don't think they are - it doesn't have to mean poorly cast, poorly written, and poorly produced. The show is just garbage and it would be garbage even if it stayed close to the books.

The books aren't even some of my favorites - my wife likes them a lot more than I do - but they are pretty good books while the show is just very poorly made.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 5, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

WarLocke posted:

The Expanse is a pretty drat awesome show, and while I haven't read the books people have been saying in the thread for it that it's almost a direct scene-for-scene adaption. And the production values for that show are NUTS.

Syfy can make good shows, they just don't seem to care about putting the effort into this one I guess?

I guess it just comes to production company - Magicians has an entirely different, and seemingly shittier, production company. I'll have to watch The Expanse.

Here's the writer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McNamara_(writer)

And the creator (whatever that means): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sera_Gamble

Not really any good previous work between them.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

WarLocke posted:

The niffin stuff seemed extremely bad since it basically mangled a pretty important plot point from the third book. Not only has the show jettisoned everything leading up to it, it was given to the absolute worst character (considering what happened in the book) and then it went and guttered out like a wet fart.

Whoever is making these plot decisions is confusing the gently caress out of me.

A pretty lovely TV writer I linked in my previous post.