Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I don't get Julia's deal. Like magic is her core? In the pilot, she told Quinten to grow up, and failed the magical test because she stopped believing her talent right? I get the obsession over something you can't have, but I find her rationalizing really hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
If magic were an addictive drug, that school should be a lot meaner, not some ivy league deal.

You should have people always looking for more, better; but everyone looks pretty happy. Even quinten shows no desire to get more despite some dream girl telling him to.

If you want to paint magic as dangerous, the teachers need to show the effects of long exposure, but they are all calm and disciplined.

Julia is showing signs, but the 50 girl and suit guy seems like they are doing ok.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

WarLocke posted:

... and then his specialty ends up being something stupid like 'mending small things'.

The entire point of Quentin is that he's a manbaby loser, basically the diametric opposite of the prophesied Harry Potter One. He doesn't even start growing up until the third book, and even then it's more about him coming to terms with how he's basically hosed everything up and wasted half his life and where to go from there.

If he had no redeeming qualities, why does do such great people waste time on him then? Some "Being There" logic or something?

From descriptions from last year, he was painted as extremely hard working but untalented, comparatively. The narrative I interpreted from the book spoilers was that he was a loser who wished to be special. Being a wizard gave him this opportunity, but he turned out to be a loser there too, because talent means everything; and he had little. That's why I don't get how this whole thing is a critique of HP? He survived, apparently made friends with great people, and he turned out to not want to be special, by giving up being special to save the world? And some Machiavellian forces handpicked him, so he was special!

HP at least wasn't handpicked, circumstances just made it so he was the best bait.

Eliot is alright through. Still think Julia deserves to die, how many people has she killed on her quest for power.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
If you wanted to preach that power fantasies are bad or whatever, then Julia is really your example. Why judge quinton and sympathize with her?

All her trauma are self inflicted because she choose this journey. She was the hero at the beginning, and learned the harsh truth that she could not accept. I don't know whether the hedge witches were going to die even without her, but she does show up and they die. There was some kinda network of hedges, and he journey is destroying it, all because she couldn't accept not being special.

Why give her sympathy? Shes always been "better" than Quinton, so we think she deserve more or something? Why doesn't she learn to be normal also?

Quinton learned after Alice according to yall, hos many deaths and traumas should it take Julia before we can laugh at her for not accepting her fate?

Femur fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 18, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
But that is Quinton's journey, he grew up and accepts a quiet job.

Noone in this thread has offered any sympathy for Quinton, his trauma for being the moon next to the sun.

why don't we feel sorry for quinton for not being pretty and talented like Julia? we blame him for being whiny at about his station.

brackhill had a system to solve your problem, Julia choose yo circumvent and was unwilling to give up what she felt she deserved.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Do you also tell women it's their fault they got raped because they chose to walk down that dark alley at night?

No. that is real life. This is fiction that is supposedly trying to teach us to know our place.

Julia obviously acted due to selfishness. She was a Have, and refused to be a have not.

Quinton was a have not who learned to accept being a have not.

But we sympathise with the pretty rich girl over the poor dude with maybe mental problems.

don't know what pua is, but side with the pretty normal people more and redicule the poor and un well mannered i guess.

Femur fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 18, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I am just pointing out how their journeys should be seen in the same light.

Your personality and mental wellness isn't ingrain, as Quinton learned to improve his, so quinton wasn't born annoying. He grew that way because he felt he was a have not.

Julia experienced the opposite. And both are now doing dumb things to prove their specialness.

But Quinton's journey seen as a lesson, and Julia's as a tragedy.

I find both characters as equally selfish and dumb, I said that originally, but yall started making excuses for her. To me she commits the same sin as Quinton, she should be expected to learn the same lesson.

Both deserve sympathy for having their dreams crushed by a cruel world.

But Quiton is seen as the wrong one because it was dumb for him to even dream. this to me is our cruelness and lack of sympathy.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
She had a nice apartment, social life, and ivy league waiting for her. She wanted Quinton to grow up and give up on his dreams.

She then regrets giving up her dreams, ends up living it. Quinton ended up where he would have if he listened to her.

You would only feel sympathy for Julia if you felt she had worthwhile virtues, but that is not compassion. It is just a form of entitlement yall are painting my view as.

Compassion is empathy for the undesirables also, which yall do not have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That's because they were not the same journey. If Julia had Quentin's story arc, and vice versa, she would be the "lesson," and he the "tragedy." We would still be sympathizing with the character that had been raped and betrayed, because their respective genders are not carrying our audience reaction.

If those character roles had been reversed, so that the thread empathized with the male character instead of the female one, would you still be making posts like these? Probably not, I think.

How is it not the same journey? Both felt the real world was not enough. And both gave the same advice to each other, give up.

I don't advocate sympathy for either, but both deserve compassion for their failed dreams.

Why sympathize with Julia, who's turning into quinton, and not Quinton himself? He's been letting this bitterness of failure destroy him for a while? Noone has said anything good about him, he's completely worthless. But Julia is choosing the same path. She chose fantasy at the cost of her real life also. I don't sympathize with her suffering just as I don't sympathize with quinton, despite hers being displayed, which connects with yall.

You guys don't see that sympathizing with Julia is sympathizing with quinton like I do, so I seem crazy. But I am just following the stories narrative, where quinton wished for more, and the disappointment made him ugly; his best friend was happy until she too also wish for something more. This destroyed them both.

So sympathize with both if you want to be compassionate, they are both crushed by their dumb expectations.

Have and have nots obviously refers to their position. She was a have in the beginning and told him to forget his dreams. She became a have not after the interview and he, the have, told her to forget her dreams. both times, the haves had no sympathy for the have nots disappointment and bitterness at accepting their fate.

So since Quinton is worthless, and julia's advice was right. Why isn't her original point right for both of them?

So since they both feel compelled​ to go down this path, why feel bad for Julia and not quinton? Why is Quinton a personal flaw he has responsibility for that must be corrected, while Julia is some victim and not also flawed and wrong and in need of correction.

You only feel sympathy for Julia because pf her fall from grace, but that presumes that she deserved her original position. The show is showing you she is quinton in values, but just better genes.