Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
It's kind of amazing how well this show turned around between seasons 1 and 2.

Also, Penny's face as Gaeta just shat out in the open. And then Gaeta's "Your welcome :smuggo:" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, I think the show does pretty well for itself as long as you don't compare it directly to the books. Which was the problem with the first season, they had this weird thing about trying to hew straight to the books - except when they didn't for some random reason.

They got the balance right in the current season - things are different, but in a more natural way, not just 'lol we changed this because' like it was coming across before.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Show Julia is a completely different character from Book Julia. But this is the same for Penny, Josh and Margot (Penny was off doing his own thing for most of the books and only intersected with everyone else a few times, Margot is different by having a personality in the show, Josh had basically one scene with his rich house in Italy or whatever).

Even Alice is a more socialized version of the book Alice. Really, Quentin and Elliot are the closest to their original versions.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Quentin didn't come into his power until the third book? For real? I guess you must've fallen asleep during the end/epilogue of the first book where he got healed by a centaur and spent a bunch of time basically in "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" and became a seriously badass wizard (with a wooden shoulder).

If you meant my post, I said he didn't grow up until the third book. Wizardly power isn't the same as maturity, and in fact one of the premises of the series is that magic can't fix everything.

It's not until the third book that Quentin sets aside his adolescent wish to be 'the hero' and buckles down to do the one thing that really matters to him - he becomes an instructor at Brakebills in order to research ways to un-Niffin Alice. Note that every time in the preceding books that he tried to be a big glorious hero he hosed it up (notably the bit with the the ship/outer islands and getting the key, where he proves he has magical chops but gets that one cartographer kid killed with an arrow through the neck because of it), it's not until he realizes that wanting to do good while also being the Big drat Hero is where he falls flat, and he instead buckles down to do drudgery for an extended period of time that he finally manages to truly do something right and get his 'happy ending'.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fun fact: In the books the black hole spell was all Josh IIRC

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

... Because nobody that finds out that magic is real and, hey, you can do magic is gonna be satisfied to go back to a 'normal' life?

You can take your premise and turn it around and say that Brakebill's is responsible for everything that's happened to Julia since they turned her away after she beat their mindwipe and came back.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Femur posted:

No. that is real life. This is fiction that is supposedly trying to teach us to know our place.

Julia obviously acted due to selfishness. She was a Have, and refused to be a have not.

:eyepoop:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I mean, nobody in this show is a 'good' person (possibly with the exception of some of the teachers, who are mostly plot props). Elliot and Alice are probably the 'best' of the main crew, and even they are pretty damaged.

Julia is surprisingly stable considering what she's been through.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Saying that someone is a "have" or a "have not" really makes me not want to engage. Is that some MRA dog whistle?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pretty sure the magic-as-drug allegory is from the books. I don't remember if Julia specifically was turning tricks for spells, but I'm like 90% certain it was mentioned as a thing that happened quite frequently.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The BeastReynard's magical anti-choice curse or whatever is somehow even creepier than how it happened in the books. :wtc:

e: I should check posts before I send them in. :downs:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 24, 2017

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I guess it seemed more like she was upset at him magicking at all, rather than that it was her shirt he magicked.

Up to there it seemed like she wanted to bitch with him ('co-bitch'?) about magic, as someone who no longer did it and here's a guy who she can actually talk about it with. So yeah, him just idly magicking I can see upsetting her.

But then they go back to her apartment and she magicks him into Mayakovsky and then fucks him. And THEN magicks herself. So I don't know what the gently caress the intent is there anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

but now Jane is dead so we're stuck in this timeline

Final episode will be Quentin reversing time back to before Jane dies and telling her off. "Your poo poo didn't work, try something else"