Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm glad that they've found an unused plot line from the books to bring back in! This season has been largely devoid inspirations from the books this season. I wonder if it'll end the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GreenNight posted:

So they finally went to the same god drat rock quarry that I've seen in a dozen Vancouver productions. Killjoys uses it all the time, just with different colored lenses.

I'm sure they used it a million times in X-Files and Battlestar Galactica

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I don't know any of these songs. :(

I kind of wish they could have just done Under Pressure again.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

eke out posted:

im glad this guy is still getting work he was so good in orphan black

Oh right. I remembered him as the rear end in a top hat neighbor dad in Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Even while obsessed with Orphan Black, I forgot that's who he was.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Now eventually you might have graduates on your, on your magical graduate school, right? Hello? yes?

For all the jokes about first years this week, I don't think Quentin, Alice and Penny have even completed first year yet, right? Compared to the books where they're all graduated before they even go to Fillory.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Super bummed that they're putting Quention and Alice back together instead of Quentin and Eliot. This is some straight bullshit.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Woden posted:

Ya'll are haters.

You don't spend a whole season teasing a queer romance, only to yank it out under everyone's feet and give us back a toxic straight romance.

Woden posted:

Besides, they could always do some polyamory thing when Eliot is back anyway.

That would only force the narrative that romance is only possible when a woman is present.

Argue posted:

I got a bit lost at the start; where did the sister come from? So the monster kidnaps a doctor from a bar a few episodes ago, then next we see her she's unconscious or dead on an altar, then he pushes his sister's spirit into Julia. What did I miss?

Oh, was that the woman from the bar? I guess I missed that too. They've been a little sloppy with the editing this season, if that's the case.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

J33uk posted:

poo poo. Articles covering it are up. It's for real apparently. Wow

Edit: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-magicians-showrunners-explain-that-deliberate-and-1834107404

gently caress.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ThePagey posted:

There's definitely a good deal of that, too, from what I've seen, though I actually think the criticism about the way the queer romance was handled is justified, at least in a more metatextual sense. In-text, it's heartbreaking and very REAL that Eliot's realization that he does love Q comes at a point where it's already catapulting towards catastrophe in one way or another. Which, I guess, is the entire series, but everything Q did was to save Eliot, and his friends, and it's pretty much one of the most perfect series-wide arcs I've ever seen.

Metatextually, there's a huge amount of criticism to be said about having a queer relationship represented in such a hopeful and realistic (sans magic) way, only to have it functionally ignored post-Peaches and Plus Motherfucker. Especially with the Alice plot at the end--which I genuinely think I would have preferred to finish in a kind of mutual respect and affection, but I don't think it's out of character for Q since he's never not been in love with Alice, he was just hurt by her.

There's going to be a lot of conversation coming up about Queerbaiting and BuryYourGays, primarily because of just how 11/10 the Life in a Day and Eliot-centric episode from this season were. For queer viewers, seeing a queer romance play out without toxicity has (functionally) never been done in a genre show before, and even if the plot was important and satisfying, it sucks to have the potential for that kind of catharsis set up and have it mostly ignored otherwise. I'm sure next season it'll be a focal point, if the interviews I've read are a thing, but that's next season.

This was very well said. I think a lot of people are unfairly dismissing this because they are mostly seeing the criticism on twitter and tumblr. But the thing is, this is so common that it is a trope in itself. Queer character on a tv show finally finds happiness and love, only to be killed off immediately after. It happens all the time on these types of shows.

That said, the episode was still very well done, and I can understand that the showrunners said that Quentin had completed his story arc.

I was also reading a lot into all of the interviews with the show runners today. They were very careful with their language. They made sure to say that Jason Ralph is no longer a series regular, but never said he would never be back on the show again. One interviewer asked them if we would ever see an alternate timeline of Quentin again, and they said that right now there are no plans. But given the way that the show has always managed to bring back characters from the dead, and the fact that HBO did the same thing with Jon Snow before bringing him back, makes me hopeful that we will see Quentin again, and eventually Queliot.

My theory: Quentin will be absent from almost the entirety of season 5 as the rest of the cast try and find themselves in this multiverse without his presense, only for him to show up in the final 10 seconds of the season finale, leaving us with a massive cliffhanger.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, the author of the books Lev Grossman went on facebook today to explain that he understood why people are a little confused about the sort of things that the producers of the show were saying regarding Quentin's death. He said that they're not very good at talking to the press, and he was even confused by the things they've said.

But, he did go against what the producers have been saying, that they came up with the idea to kill off Quentin, and went to Jason Ralph at the end of last season to bring the idea to him.

He wouldn't go into detail because he wanted to allow Jason to be allowed to share his story, but apparently Quentin was killed off because Jason Ralph wanted off the show.

Which, I respect. I still think that they could have handled the Quentin-Eliot-Alice love triangle better.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tokubetsu posted:

We love the show here! We're still crying too.

I assume that's why the thread has been so dead. We all shorted out our keyboards with our tears.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Loucks posted:

I imagine it felt final to those who need a white dude to identify with.

Not an attack on anyone here necessarily. Those ones will out themselves eventually.

Peaches and plums

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DaveKap posted:

Like, say... if SyFy decided to drop the show despite how popular it was. Y'know... like that other super popular original they had... The Expanse?

Thankfully, the issues with The Expanse don't exist with The Magicians. With the Expanse, SyFy only had first run rights in the US. They didn't have syndication or global distribution rights. They would only make money on advertising the first time around. As it's a very expensive show, it (sadly) made sense for them to cancel it.

Thankfully, none of that is true for The Magicians. Plus, The Magicians is cheaper, so they make a lot more money on that show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
HIMYM was at its best, cute. I never saw an episode where I laughed, but it certainly had a charming cast.

BBT was actually dumb. I don't understand how it last so long. Someone else put it far better than I did, but it wasn't a show about nerds that would use nerd culture to make jokes. It made nerd culture the joke.

Blonde Neighbor: What's your favorite movie? Mine is Dirty Dancing.

Nerdy Neighbor: Star Wars

AUDIENCE LAUGHTER

Blonde Neighbor: I work in sales. What's your job?

Nerdy Neighbor: Nuclear Engineer

UPROARIOUS AUDIENCE LAUGHTER

I think all the worries about The Magicians being canceled are premature. SyFy renewed the show for this upcoming fifth season just days before season 4 premiered. It's SyFy's highest rated show, and while its budget has gone up, it's still not super expensive. I'd be surprised if they canceled it, unless season 5 was just really bad.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Whalley posted:

It was a totally accurate depiction of the kind of nerd who gets jobs in Silicon Valley or Washington DC and anyone who disagrees ain't never lived or worked in one of those places, or has huge blinders on and exists solely on a diet of denial and lack of self reflection.

e: It also sucked and wasn't funny, don't get me wrong, but it was spot on.

Shrug. I'm a nerd who works in Washington, DC. Maybe I have those blinders on.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just remembered that there was another pilot for The Magicians developed by a different production team years ago for Fox. It obviously wasn't picked up, but from what I remember, it was apparently a little more faithful to the book. I'd be curious to see any footage they shot, or at least read the script.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rocksicles posted:

Even the first season is good, and i'll defend this hill with my life.

I mean, I only stuck with season one because I was a fan of the books. Whenever I recommend it to friends, they all want to giveup in season one, and I encourage them to power through because it does get better.

Yes, there are good things about season one, but it is tonally inconsistent, the characters are underdeveloped (particularly Margot and Eliot), had a pathetic budget, and it struggled with how to adapt the books while making it its own thing.

They've overcome all those things, but season one was rough.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rocksicles posted:

Everyone is about 20% more attractive this season.

They all absorbed Quentin's attractiveness :(

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

eschaton posted:

My wife said she looked less like she was in the depths of depression and more like she’d just had some of that good fuckin’.

Well, she does have that golem in the making sitting down in the basement. Who's to say she didn't get a head start?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Inspector 34 posted:

Picked a hell of a week to quit drinking

Heh, someone posted that exact thing in the reddit live thread.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I miss Quentin, and I wished that they would have let Eliot and Quentin get together.

But at this point, what would his story be if he came back? They seem to be giving his remaining stories from the books to Alice and Penny.

Eliot had better get a bomb rear end boyfriend.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd be very happy seeing Eliot get a sustained love interest too, though I'd also be keen on seeing him get a hair cut lol. He's still got his Monster hair lol.

Yeah, he definitely looks better with shorter hair. This long hair just looks unkempt, which is not Eliot's look.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
A strapping man named Todd.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are the two episodes a week going to be standard moving forward or was this just a special thing?

No, it's back to one episode a week. I think they only did that last week because the two episodes were so connected. I think now they're going to deal with the apocalypse in Fillory for the rest of the season, and uncovering Quentin's mysteries.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

Didn’t someone lose their shade to move the moon?

Nope. Mayakovsky's daughter asked for one of their shades to help them remove the ward from the moon rock. They simply didn't take the deal, and Kady disguised herself as the daughter.

It was a little convoluted.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DaveKap posted:

1: Is Q's acquiring of that important page anywhere in this show or just a this-season magically appearing macguffin?

It's a book thing. I'm guessing they weren't planning on using that storyline when they still had Jason Ralph around, so instead they're using it as a, "Whoa, Q was more of a mystery than we pegged him to be!"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, while bummed, I'm certainly not surprised that the show has gotten the axe. Based on what the season so far, and spoilers from the final book, here are my predictions (heavy book spoilers! beware, although I might have some details wrong):

In the final book, after Quentin was ejected from Fillory, he arrived in the Neitherlands in disarray. He finds a random page from a book written in an unknown language, featuring a mysterious plant. We've seen this page and plant in the show, with some mysterious plant creatures trying to steal the page from him, calling it the World Seed. These plant people aren't in the book, but Quentin and the newly de-niffenized Alice figure out that it is part of a spell from a book on how to build worlds. They use what they learn there to build their own world, having grown tired of Fillory.

My guess is that Alice remains the one to work on this, maybe with the help of the new botanist at Brakebills.

One of the interviews with Sera Gamble today about the end of the show mentioned that the penultimate episode will be a magical musical heist. In the book, Quentin is recruited on Earth by a talking crow to work with a team of other magicians to steal a mysterious object under heavy magical protection. They don't know what it is, or where it is, just that several parties want it. One of these other magicians turns out to be Plumm Chatwin, and another is Asmodeus (in the show, Asmodeus is combined with another book character to form the character Kady). They track down the object, and end up having a magical battle in the air with groups of other magicians all trying to steal it for themselves. In the ensuing battle, they open the object (a briefcase that turned out to belong to Rupert Chatwin), and within was a magical god killing knife, which Asmodeus absconds with to go and kill Reynard. Also in the briefcase is a manuscript written by Rupert Chatwin telling the true story of the Chatwin children, much of which has already been revealed in the show.

I'm sure the show will just come up with some other McGuffin for the heist.

Finally, the end of Fillory. Eliot and Janet (our Margot) reigning over Fillory learn that Fillory is ending. Along with Josh, and Poppy, they track down Umber on the dark side of Fillory who leads them on a chase. I forget the exact chain of events, but it comes out that there is nothing they can do, Fillory is dying. I don't remember exactly how it comes about, but they recruit the help of Quentin and Alice who are reluctant. It turns out that Ember was actually the one to hired Quentin and Plumm for the heist, through the use of one of his helpers, the talking crow. Turns out that Ember wants that page that Quentin has ("the world seed"), because he just wants to start anew. In order to save Fillory, he and Ember would have to sacrifice themselves, and he doesn't want to die, so he just wants Quentin's spell to build himself a new world to lord over. During all this, Fillory is literally dying, with all the people and magical creatures doing battle, and even demigoddess Julia comes back from the far side of the world to do battle. Quentin is like gently caress all of this, Umber allows Quentin to kill him, and Quentin takes in his god power (maybe? I don't remember exactly) and turns into a giant dragon and does battle with Ember. He finally kills Ember and takes in his power (I think?), and becomes an almighty god himself. God Quentin brings all the Fillorians back to life, rebuilds the land and Castle White Spire to the best of memory, adds some of his own touches, then relinquishes his god power to have a new Ember and Umber be born, and he and Alice return to Earth.

I'm sure they could probably just have Julia do this part. She has a history of being a god, and in season 3 she talked with that other god about how they have the power to create worlds.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

muscles like this! posted:

You would have hoped that after the whole thing with Josh two years ago (or however long it was in show time) that they would have learned their lesson in disregarding the feelings of other members of their group.

Also next week is the musical episode.

So is that just 2 episodes left then? I thought I saw that the musical episode would be the penultimate episode.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
See, I feel like they squandered a lot of this season going in too many directions to wrap everything up neatly. Knowing what happens in the book, and knowing that they are liberally taking some of the major plot points from the final book, it seems like they're going to have to cram a whole lot in.

I love the show, it's one of my favorites, and I still recommend it to everyone, but knowing this is the end, I think that the show definitely peaked in season 3, and while still entertaining, the show just hasn't reached the same heights since.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

DaveKap posted:

O! Now that it's over, I have one question that has been stuck in my head since season... 3? Old Alice. Who the gently caress was that. Why the gently caress was she there. What the gently caress happened?

I think it was just a dropped plot point that they threw a bone to in the series finale last night. The producers have been very open about admitting they didn't have an overall plan. They'd wrap up a season, and throw a wrench in it to see how they could get out of that predicament the next season.

Anyway, it was a more effective series finale than I expected. I went in thinking I was fine with the show being over, but with that ending, I'm down for more! Even if we have to wait a couple of years.

Also, while I'm glad Eliot got someone in the end, I feel like it was kind of forced in there. It kind of came out of nowhere for me.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eltoasto posted:

I would have liked to see underworld Q or Penny again, especially Penny since Katy has been in the background for a while now. But it would have been hard to do that without knowing it was the finale and making it a major plot point.

Quentin has moved beyond the underworld. He can't be reached. At least not in any in universe way explained to us yet.

I think underworld Penny could have been possible if he had greeted Zelda as she moved down there, but I think that it would have taken away from the flow of the overall plot.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lupus Rufus posted:

Also, i know the mystery of Eliot's two books wasn't explained explicitly, but thinking about it, maybe it kinda makes sense that he had two books because he was "living two lives" while he was going back and forth between his fleshbody and his golem-body when he couldn't leave Fillory. Just a theory i had.

I prefer the idea that one is for this timeline, the other is for the one where he lived with the love of his life Quentin.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rhyno posted:

So Grossman is writing a comic series that takes place in the book continuity. Did anyone read the Alice graphic novel?

I did. It wasn't very good. It told the exact plot of the first book, but from Alice's perspective, without giving any further insight or information. And it read very quickly. I was pretty disappointed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
No I agree. I think the show definitely peaked with season 3. Season 4 and 5 were still definitely good, just not as good as it was.

I'm still angry with how they handled the Quentin and Eliot storyline.

And I hope thst they end up doing season 6, given that they ended the series in the way that they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Just thinking fondly on this show. I wish more people enjoyed it.