Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Overall, I enjoyed the first two episodes. I liked The Beast's appearance. It caught the surrealness of his appearance in the book. That shuffle step was a great little quirk.

muscles like this? posted:

Well, so far it definitely feels like they've slowed things down. Seems like the breakneck speed was just for the pilot so they could get to the whole Beast part.

Yeah it's like they needed that to sell the series.

Emerson Cod posted:

The arc kind of makes me wonder if this is (book spoiler) one of Jane's earlier failed attempts at killing Martin that we hear about in the book.

More spoilers: if they did that in the show and could pull if off, it would be amazing, basically making it a Run, Lola, Run! type show.

Mouse Dresser posted:

The actress that plays Julia has said that they aren't going to shy away from the Reynard stuff. Although I couldn't find a link regarding it, I think she mentions it (in a roundabout way) in the SyFy channel talking head videos promoting the series/introducing the actors.

I'm cautiously optimistic regarding the series. The things that are pissing me off are the young Jane Chatwin stuff. The actress is horrible, her accent is somehow even more horrible, and I dislike the idea of Jane collaborating with the Dean regarding Quentin. We also really needed to see The Beast smashing the clocks in the classroom.

I really liked Julia's story in The Magician King. The ending of it was so heart breaking and tragic. More book I, too, would have liked more sleuthing by Julia to find that guy - not the other way around.

Yeah the Jane Chatwin dreams kinda are out of place; and I'm not a fan of the whole "Dean and Chatwin Conspiracy" at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

blue squares posted:

what the gently caress

The Beast scene in the books is genuinely the scariest scene I have read in YEARS. And this loving poo poo show hosed it up. They also turned Elliot into yet another TV gay nancy boy stereotype

Because they fought him off? Yeah, that was a bit of a copout instead of Martin leaving of his on volition after eating a student alive? Which is more terifying because it was so nonchalant.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

blue squares posted:

Yeah that was insane. Just being frozen in place and randomly devouring a student and we had no idea who or what did it? I got chills reading that and it has stuck with me ever sense. Such a good scene.

I like it more in the books that it was Quentin loving around than it was a "seance" that made things happen. It showed that magic had consequences especially loving it up while you're dicking around.

Edit: it also would be cool to see The Beast with 7+ fingers

geeves fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 26, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

So far there are no likeable characters in this show, everyone is a piece of poo poo. I guess thats the point maybe?

That would be keeping the spirit of the books. Actually there is one likable character in the books who isn't in the show.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah, where the gently caress is Josh :negative:

And who the gently caress is this new "Katie" person they replaced him with??

And what are they going to do with Penny? The Beast didn't kill Amanda, so why would we think The Beast would bite off Penny's hands?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Harrow posted:

I think the fact that I loved the books is keeping me from watching this, and hearing about how quickly it's tearing through the first book's plot feels like it's validating my decision. Other people who liked the books: is it worth a shot regardless?

It's worth a shot, yes. I really enjoyed the books and I'm enjoying the show so far. It's not as rigorous an adaptation as say, Game of Thrones (season 1); so aside from some major plot points, I accept the books / show as two separate stories that occasionally dovetail when necessary.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Oasx posted:

Have we seen Quentin do actual magic? He has done slight card tricks and the such, but i mean actual finger twisting magic.

He attacked Penny in a scene that was hilariously awful.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Yeah, book Elliot is notably kind of ugly.

I don't recall that. I do recall the out-of-nowhere gay D/s scene that cleverly is never mentioned again but a interesting character trait though.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, where the hell is Josh? Of all the characters they had to lose, why him dammit?

Josh is too pure for this world. But I kinda want to see a josh Eliot buddy comedy.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

"You killed Cancer Puppy?"

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

This show sure drops a lot of f bombs for a channel that doesn't allow them to actually say it.

They actually dropped "twat". I'm impressed.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Oroborus posted:

The wethers game was a bit confusing, was it better explained in the books? Why did Quintin win suddenly by casting a spell he needed the blond girl to stop?

The writers don't even know.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FRINGE posted:

I havent read the books, and I got the impression that the writers havent either?

I think they just read the synopsis on Wikipedia.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

mastajake posted:

You're not supposed to root for Julia, you're supposed to pity her. And in the books she doesn't ever trade tricks for magic, but she tries to with Quentin; he just turns her down.

Ummmm.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Alright I agree with all of that, and I would add that Quentin also becomes comfortable with his mediocrity, relative to other magicians. The stark contrast between "I can accomplish anything" in the first book with "I guess I'm just not that awesome after all" in the third book and the steady progression toward that endpoint is why I enjoyed the books. I mean he is still a magician and has all of the talent that that represents, but coming to the realization that he's not "the chosen one" or whatever was really cool and refreshing, especially since people were warning him about that at the start of the first book

Didn't Quentin do a bunch of neat poo poo at the end of the first book or was it just pretentious "making it sound better than it actually was" show boating?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The Magicians: A Bag of Working Dicks

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tiggum posted:

OK, so that was another episode where nothing happened. The whole gin/djinn thing was obviously a meaningless B plot. Gay best friend's new boyfriend is evil I guess? But since we have no real idea who the bad guys are or what they want, we don't know what that means. Penny's girlfriend left, but she hasn't really done anything anyway, so who cares. Doing the nail spell without words might mean something to us if we had any idea how magic works, but we don't. And the whole fox/sex thing was just confusing and meaningless. Can they turn into foxes any time now? Or do they have some kind of fox powers or something? What did that have to do with mind control? What did any of this mean or accomplish?

I saw it as The Beast had possessed the new boyfriend at the end - hence the moth or whatever on the mirror. Not that he was The Beast the entire time. This episode was really bad. The writers / showrunners have absolutely no clue what they're doing or how to adapt the material.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mouse Dresser posted:

But High King Elliott is going to be best thing ever. Why did they change Elliott's home from Oregon to Indiana? I live in Oregon and it's country as poo poo the moment you're 15 minutes outside of Portland.

High King Eliot and Fillory characters who appropriate Earth's vulgarity. This is all I want.

As to the reasons for every change: Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

:gonk:

This is goddamn creepy and tragic.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mouse Dresser posted:

It's an interesting take making Plover The Beast instead of Martin.

But they didn't and I don't think it would be. It thematically undercuts Martin's fall. Martin wanted to escape his life and become powerful enough to stop his expulsion from Fillory and returning to the abuse of Plover. As someone else said, Martin gained powers at expense of his humanity and turned into something worse than what he wished to escape. The show demonstrated this better by this episode instead of having Jane say a "blink-and-you-miss-it" comment about Plover diddling Martin. The show also goes one further and showing that Martin possibly cursed his siblings to an afterlife of torment out of spiteful jealousy when he returned to Earth to kill Plover.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

WarLocke posted:

You are going to have an interesting time if they take this to the same conclusion as in the book: (potential big book-based spoiler)the Free Traders finally manage to summon a god (Reynard the Fox, a trickster diety IIRC) who immediately begins killing the gently caress out of all of them and doesn't stop until Julia agrees to sacrifice herself so that the thing will stop tearing people apart. So Reynard bends her over a table and rapes her, ripping her 'soul' from her and filling her with god-power-spunk which is how she ends up being so magically powerful later on. Julia and Asmodeus are the only ones to not die horribly.

The mother goddess stuff comes later; since Julia no longer has a soul she begins acting less and less human, and in the end when it becomes obvious to her that she's going to become 'something else' no matter what, she calls out to the goddess and is remade as a dryad instead of becoming another rapey fox spirit or whatever.

What's even worse: That just as they were starting the ritual to summon the mother, Julia realized she has found what she has been looking for all this time: friends. It was that quick moment of happiness that made the Reynard stuff all the more horrible.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Naw, you're really not supposed to like anybody in the books.

Possibly you're mixing "protagonist" with "empathetic character"?

I think you're supposed to like Josh and by the end of the book Eliot as well. "If they have ruined my hairline I will bring them back to life and kill them again!" I also love Janet because she brought a goddamn pistol to Fillory and everyone freaks out about it

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hey it's Josh!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Magical Dachau.

I am liking how this is turning out. I know people were worried about Quentin being a "chosen one" early on in the series, but adding in the timeloop shenanigans it kinda negates that or more so makes it self-fulfilling in way.

Edit: Ember semen!

geeves fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 12, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

HughGRect posted:

Well, they went there with that scene. When I was reading the books, I got the idea that Ember was an actual talking animal, not a pervo-monster god. Was my impression from the book wrong?

Nope, you were quite right. Though they gave Ember more of Umber's personality I think.

I'm torn at the moment about the finale, I thought it was good and it was obvious we were not going to get the conclusion with The Beast. I don't think it's a bad idea for TV, give audiences a recognizable villain instead of just having a 5-10 scene to tidy things up when so much happens to the Physical Kids.

If they can sell the adventures of Julia and The Beast I think season 2 will be pretty interesting.

geeves fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 12, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, that was an interesting season finale. Overall I enjoyed the show, not as much as I would have liked, but for an extremely low budget Syfy show, they pulled it off.

- Looks like budget constraints not only gave us a low rent Fillory, and human forms of Ember and Ranier the Fox instead of the likely quite costly CG versions that the books described. And they pretty much gutted the whole adventure through the labyrinth, and what should have been epic boss battle.
- They went there with Julia's rape after all. For a second there I thought they were going to just gloss over that whole storyline. Janet is alive? And, is Julia pregnant? Or was that vaginal secretion just part of her transformation into a demi-goddess?
- Why did they bother to include Josh if he was just going to show up for 2 episodes, and do absolutely nothing?
- Penny lost his hands just like in the books! I'm looking forward to his magical replacement hands next season.
- They described Eliot as becoming the High King, but does this not mean that that Margot, Quentin, and Julia won't be up there with him? Did they give his wife a name? And I'm pretty bummed out that he can't ever get with anybody else ever again. They presented a fully realized gay character on the show, and they just deny him his sexuality just like that. I hope they have something good planned for this storyline.
- Alice didn't become a niffen, so she'll definitely be around next season.
- With the Beast still alive, I expect that they're veering in a whole new direction next season, given that half the book (Julia's story) was brought forward to this season, and the other half is the Kings and Queens of Fillory exploring their kingdom.

Here's to hoping that Syfy gives the show a bigger budget next season.

- I'm fine with Reynard "possessing" instead of being corporeal. That would have been a tougher sell to execs and audiences. But at least they alluded to his true form. As for Ember, same reason.
- I don't think Julia is pregnant. I think it was to mirror Alice and her "enhancement". It's up to the audiences to infer that they have been "impregnated with power".
- Josh is scheduled to be more of a regular next year. And after what he and Victoria experienced, do you blame him for leaving?
- Eliot's situation is interesting and I hope a way the show can explore some of those new barriers Eliot now faces.
- Alice - I'm not surprised.Thought I'm certain that there will be a future standoff with The Beast without some special knife.
- Julia and The Beast - what better way to make a villain for the end of next season while complicating him to audiences? Especially after only 2 or 3 appearances totaling less than 60 seconds.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Who played adult Martin/The Beast?

Charles Mesure http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0582351/?ref_=m_ttfcd_cl10

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

lurksion posted:

That's only stated in the last episode of the season. He's talking about the first 3 episodes, which were pretty poo poo.

A theme of the books is "everyone is a hero of their own story". Grossman has said it in interviews and it's repeated by Quentin in the TV show. Quentin was "The Chosen One" simply because he is the one who volunteered every time - because it was what he thought he was supposed to do and because he loved Fillory. Jane or Ember remark on this in the finale. This puts a spin on the first episode when Jane and Fogg talk about Quentin, it's why The Beast knows who Quentin is. I thought it was a nice way to subvert it and it parallels the book thematically.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, they haven't killed the Beast yet either, and I recall she turned into a Niffen in the process of killing the Beast right?

Yep. Plus they got a solid actor for The Beast. So why not explore more of the character? Julia and the Beast go on a god killing quest with Quentin and co in hot pursuit.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't want to be a jerk, but I would really like to be able to talk about The Magicians this year -- and the Expanse, ideally -- without being massively spoiled for upcoming episodes.

So could people please, please, please make use of spoiler tags throughout this thread?

I don't want to be a jerk, either, but you could read the books :v: I thought we used spoiler tags anyway for book talk that hadn't happened?

In all seriousness, the way that season 1 ended, it's probably veering way off course for the time being. There will probably be bits and pieces of the latter books used, but it's hard to guess what they're going to do. So I think those of us who read the books are in the dark as well.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

hangedman1984 posted:

I also don't want to be a jerk, but isn't there a separate thread for the books?

Somewhere in the archives as far as I know :shrug:. But so far book talk hasn't been banned like it has been in the Game of Thrones thread. If it's added to the OP, great. If not, it's likely going to happen here.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

That's an odd thing to say. I mean, the guys are way hotter in the show than I imagined them to be when I first read the books. But that's an odd thing to say.

The show is better at exploring Elliot and not-Janet. Also as others said above, the themes of the book don't really fit SyFy. The show would have to be at HBO or some other network to really explore the themes of the book.

That said, I do like the show for what it is. I hope season 2 pulls the rug on the chosen one thing and I can't wait for Julia and Beast shenanigans.

And Alice :allears:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I'm down with The Beast having a musical number every episode.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Harrow posted:

I don't mind cheaping out on Reynard, but I wish they'd made Ember an actual ram. I really think the reveal of his incompetence and selfishness would've hit much harder if he'd looked like this majestic, Aslan-like beast before revealing that he actually sucks a whole lot.

I think it keeps with the theme that magic isn't all it's cracked up to be and doesn't have the answers, either. Just that the world / universe / etc. is a bit weirder.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ember is loving amazing.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

"Where are my stuff touchers!?"

Edit: What knot does Eliot's tie have? Foggs?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

WarLocke posted:

... and then his specialty ends up being something stupid like 'mending small things'.

The entire point of Quentin is that he's a manbaby loser, basically the diametric opposite of the prophesied Harry Potter One. He doesn't even start growing up until the third book, and even then it's more about him coming to terms with how he's basically hosed everything up and wasted half his life and where to go from there.

And I love how everyone last year was jumping on the "Quentin is the chosen one? what?" BS (including me) but then it was all because of the time loop and Quentin thought he was the hero so the Beast did too :v:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

The implication was that the company was a place that Brakebills regularly sent traumatized magician washouts and there were other companies like it. It makes sense that Brakebills would have connections and place people who they felt some kind of responsibility to so they don't end up alone and desperate. It also means there's probably a couple of people at the company who might be on the lookout for other magicians.

As for her up-and-down reaction to magic I think its safe to say she's still working through her own issues with magic and her traumatic experiences.

I took it as more that Quentin performed unwanted magic on her. Not that he did magic in general. It was like a violation of personal space.

Granted it later all go sideways, but that doesn't excuse Quentin's presumptuousness.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I love the really stupid low brow puns in the show, because it reminds me of all the tacky terrible internet meme quips in the books

It probably won't happen in the show, but one of the things I love in the books is that the Fillorians pick up on some of the cursing that the Kings and Queens say. Nothing like the Map Kid yelling "Jesus Christ!" when he would probably have no idea who that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Josh is such a great foil for Eliot and Margo.