Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

sitchensis posted:

God this is depressing. Can we even call this a totalitarian state? It seems to me that all of this is the state in service of capital.

Late-stage capitalism is essentially totalitarianism in a nutshell. Capitalism is very opportunistic and non-preferential when it comes to extracting wealth and the fruits of labor. If democracy achieves this, that works; if totalitarianism does it better, then so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Adar posted:

Sure, but it won't give you one total "trustworthy citizen" number and tie it into your credit score and shopping habits or going to look at how much of a Democrat you are compared to your friends. It will definitely do a large part of that and check how jihadi you are compared to them (which is fine IMO) but overall, it's not the right kind of profile to be used for what China is trying to do. It also helps that there are two parties so neither of them can safely Orwell the other half out of top secret clearances and bureaucratic appointments.

"First they came for the Muslims, and I did not speak out— Because I was not a Muslim."

• Locked thread