Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Chinese citizens never had a credit rating before now.
This new system serves the same social control function that credit bureaus have in the West since the 1980s.
The orientalism-bait dystopian headlines make it sound as if this is some new line being crossed, but credit reporting agencies already do things like gather data from social media, this is just China catching up (http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/how-your-facebook-profile-can-affect-your-credit/npD9X/)
Also they make it sound like it's a government-mandated thing when it's more like private financial firms going pushing this stuff without any regulation http://english.caixin.com/2015-09-28/100859064.html
There's totally ways in which this could become really scary and go much further in the future, though, in China as much as elsewhere.

Bob le Moche fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

This is a good youtube video about gamification
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Q5uI0skfU

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Wow it's almost as if the state is a structure that exists to maintain one social class in a position of power to enforce its interests over society as a whole and that we live in a system called capitalism where this ruling class are the property owners :O

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

I still don't understand how people are connecting state-surveillance with capitalism.

Capitalism means a few people own and control everything and we all need to work our rear end off for them our entire life in exchange for the scraps we require to survive. That's a situation that would be pretty unstable and lead to revolt if it wasn't for the fact that the nation-state exists to enforce private property, repress dissent, and generally protect the interests of the ruling class through institutions like the police, prisons, military, and yes mass surveillance programs

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Warbadger posted:

Do you know the credit scores of your friends and immediate relatives? What about your co-workers and neighbors? Does your association with them impact your credit score?

Does your credit score track debt, credit, and similar fiscally-related factors or does it track your political alignment with the government?

I mean I was pretty sure my credit score wouldn't go down if I wrote an article criticizing the Obama administration's handling of politics in the Middle East on a website or re-tweeted an article about some local city government corruption issue. But I guess it must because clearly these two systems are the same thing!

Powercrazy posted:

The way credit reporting works is pretty hosed up too, but that is for another thread. This is for a system of social control that has been gameified to make it more appealing.

Um except all of this stuff about being punished by your friends for not praising the great leader on facebook is made up bullshit that that youtube video irresponsibly repeated without digging for any sources. This article talks about what is actually happening and it's completely different: https://www.techinasia.com/china-citizen-scores-credit-system-orwellian

Everyone gobbles that crap up though because look at these orientals they are so obedient and live in an authoritarian dystopia and don't even care they're like robots or ants or something, unlike us proud people of liberty who are totally in control of our lives and are free to determine our own destiny because society doesn't exist and we're all just individuals or whatever

Bob le Moche fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 25, 2015

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Guys I heard that in China they take children away from their parents during weekdays from a very young age, and make them go through mandatory years of indoctrination by specialized state functionaries. They force them to memorize what the government wants and are constantly being made to prove their commitment through "tests" administered to them, all throughout they get rated and evaluated with numbers that only serve to determine how fit individuals are as potential workers for different industries. If you obey and go along you get rewarded but if you resist you get punished and your scores get lowered. Everyone in China grows up with such "grade" attached to them that determine who you are allowed to become WOW!!! O:

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Friendly Tumour posted:

Anything bad happening in china is obviously just racis stereotyping accordinf to the stalinist retards that populate dnd. and Amerikkka is jsut as bad if not worse and furthermore

it's cool how you're still talking as if that youtube video is talking about something real as opposed to what is basically a work of science fiction originating from fraudulent journalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Seems to me more likely that the ACLU has access to specifics that this blogger doesn't, and that is why they are making the connection with Alibaba and Tencent. But even if they pulled that part of it out of their asses, there is room for concern for the reasons people are stating, rather than because of any kind of racism towards Chinese people or South-East Asians in general.

The original ACLU article was actually amended with this:

ACLU posted:

I’m starting to hear questions raised about the accuracy of the source on which I based this blog post. I did include a passing caution about my lack of direct knowledge of the source’s accuracy, but I wish I had been more explicit in offering that caution given the language and cultural barriers between the United States and China, and the scarcity of reporting on this system by professional journalists with direct knowledge of Chinese society. I hope to see such reporting soon. That said, the Chinese scoring systems still sound plenty bad, and we all still need to consider the danger that our own institutions will drift toward such systems and their potential abuses.

Not only do I agree that there's room for concern, but in my first post in this thread I referred to what is happening as serving a "social control" function and wrote : "There's totally ways in which this could become really scary and go much further in the future"

The other points I'm trying to make are:
- Stories like this one spread and are readily accepted as fact without checking because they confirm unconscious biases and play into existing narratives about China, this is an observable phenomenon irregardless of whether the story actually *is* true or not. See also that story a while ago about how beijing is a cyberpunk hellscape because to make people forget about all the smog they put up giant screens displaying clear skies, when it was really just... a normal ad display.
- We've already been living in what is in many ways a dystopian society of control for a long time, but we're mostly blinded to that structural reality by the ideological appartus (in itself a control method) and are only able to conceive of other societies as being unfree.

• Locked thread