Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Bob le Moche posted:

Chinese citizens never had a credit rating before now.
This new system serves the same social control function that credit bureaus have in the West since the 1980s.
The orientalism-bait dystopian headlines make it sound as if this is some new line being crossed, but credit reporting agencies already do things like gather data from social media, this is just China catching up (http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/how-your-facebook-profile-can-affect-your-credit/npD9X/)
Also they make it sound like it's a government-mandated thing when it's more like private financial firms going pushing this stuff without any regulation http://english.caixin.com/2015-09-28/100859064.html
There's totally ways in which this could become really scary and go much further in the future, though, in China as much as elsewhere.

It isn't a credit rating and does not function like a credit rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

McDowell posted:

It is not the same - we have freedom they do not. No why.

Do you know the credit scores of your friends and immediate relatives? What about your co-workers and neighbors? Does your association with them impact your credit score?

Does your credit score track debt, credit, and similar fiscally-related factors or does it track your political alignment with the government?

I mean I was pretty sure my credit score wouldn't go down if I wrote an article criticizing the Obama administration's handling of politics in the Middle East on a website or re-tweeted an article about some local city government corruption issue. But I guess it must because clearly these two systems are the same thing!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 24, 2015

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

McDowell posted:

1 & 2 - If I was snooping/rude I could get a report with the effort/money. If I wanted to employ someone I could get their credit score when considering them.

3 - If social media starts being used for credit scores your associations could have an impact.

People have pointed out that having a public leaderboard could encourage terrorism so it will likely go away in favor of more opacity.

So your answer is no, you do not in fact know these things and are aware that there are barriers between yourself and viewing these things. You also appear to be aware that currently the Chinese system in question functions differently!

Why yes, if credit scores worked like the Chinese system being discussed as a social media device they might be more similar! Good observation! The problem with your argument today is that is not how credit scores work.

Go ahead and answer the second question, I'm sure it won't be hard to show that a system tracking and rewarding political alignment while penalizing criticism is the same thing as a system that tracks debt payment and fiscal stability.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 24, 2015

• Locked thread