Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

KIND OF A KIM DEAL posted:

He'd be a shoe-in for Secretary of Transportation.

Is... is that good? Is he all into light rail and poo poo?

I feel we'll know pretty much where we stand on Trump and weed in the first few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I feel we'll know pretty much where we stand on Trump and weed in the first few months.
He shut down a bridge for political purposes.

:thejoke:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gobbeldygook posted:

He shut down a bridge for political purposes.

:thejoke:

Not even political - it was pure personal spite.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The latest rumors are that there was a "Stalinesque purge" of Christie loyalists and Giuliani just ruled himself out for AG, looks like the AG position is totally up in the air.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

The latest rumors are that there was a "Stalinesque purge" of Christie loyalists and Giuliani just ruled himself out for AG, looks like the AG position is totally up in the air.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-staff-factbox-idUSKBN13A04V

quote:

ATTORNEY GENERAL

* Rudy Giuliani (out?)

* Jeff Sessions, senior member of the Senate Judiciary Committee who takes a hard line on immigration

* Chris Christie, Republican New Jersey governor (out?)

* Pam Bondi, Republican Florida Attorney General

* Trey Gowdy, Republican congressman from South Carolina who headed the House committee that investigated the 2012 attacks on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya

Of that lot remaining Gowdy makes the most sense, but honestly I never allowed my brain to think directly about Republican administrations and their appointees.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Brother Friendship posted:

Of that lot remaining Gowdy makes the most sense, but honestly I never allowed my brain to think directly about Republican administrations and their appointees.

Well, Gowdy doesn't look good. But I trust some random anti-weed dude more than Giuliani.

edit: oh gently caress.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

it is a bridgegate joke

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Brother Friendship posted:

i hear it will be Sessions but who knows

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Is this just rumor still, or is Canada looking to have a legalization referendum in 2017 rather than just legalize outright?

https://www.mtlblog.com/2016/10/canada-to-vote-on-legalizing-recreational-marijuana-in-2017/amp/?client=safari

It's not a general referendum, the Liberal government campaigned on legalizing weed in our latest election, which they won. Parliament will vote on the legal weed bill that the Liberals are going to put forth in Spring 2017. Since the Liberals have a majority of seats in the house, the bill will pass. The question at this point is what their timeline is beyond that - pot might not be actually in stores until 2018, or 2019 before the next election if you're cynical.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
One bright spot is the federal government simply doesn't have the raw manpower to wipe out the marijuana industry nationwide, especially at this point now that it's had more or less 8 years to proliferate. The DEA has like 5,000 agents total, you'd need 10 times that, never mind the lawyers and other admin systems you'd need to create. The Republicans have pretty effectively crippled the judicial system by stonewalling nominees so it's not like the DoJ has the time or money to prosecute a million dispensary cases either. Throw in already pissed state governments that will push back very hard on the feds cutting off their new source of zero-complaint tax revenue and it'll be a very interesting standoff.

I suppose they could throw a shitload of money at the DoJ to hire a ton of people, but it would be 2020 by the time this goatfuck of an incoming administration gets that ball rolling.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
If they prosecute dispensaries and growers are they going to indict state governments for racketeering or Microsoft for conspiracy to traffic narcotics?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

potee posted:

One bright spot is the federal government simply doesn't have the raw manpower to wipe out the marijuana industry nationwide, especially at this point now that it's had more or less 8 years to proliferate. The DEA has like 5,000 agents total, you'd need 10 times that, never mind the lawyers and other admin systems you'd need to create. The Republicans have pretty effectively crippled the judicial system by stonewalling nominees so it's not like the DoJ has the time or money to prosecute a million dispensary cases either. Throw in already pissed state governments that will push back very hard on the feds cutting off their new source of zero-complaint tax revenue and it'll be a very interesting standoff.

I suppose they could throw a shitload of money at the DoJ to hire a ton of people, but it would be 2020 by the time this goatfuck of an incoming administration gets that ball rolling.

The DOJ is explicitly banned from spending money to prosecute or investigate marijuana in states where it's legal.

That could change with a simple law, however.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Cross posting from GBS weed thread:

Update for any Northern Nevada folks:

quote:

RENO, Nev. (News 4 & Fox 11) — Nevada prosecutors disagree on whether to continue prosecuting low-level marijuana offenders now that Question 2 has passed and recreational marijuana will be legal in January 2017.

Reno City Attorney Karl Hall said he agrees with the Clark County District Attorney's office, which halted prosecution of pot offenders with small amounts of marijuana in their system.

"I don't know that I'm going to expend a lot of resources on prosecuting a citation for a minor amount of marijuana," Hall said.

"A person can come in and have that conviction erased from their record, and so I don't know that there's any purpose in requiring a person to go through that process when it's going to be legal in a short period of time."

Here in Northern Nevada, Hall is in the minority. The Sparks City Attorney and district attorneys for Washoe County and Carson City disagree.

"If my police officers continue to cite people ... it's my job to continue to prosecute people," Sparks City Attorney Chet Adams said.

Adams said that although it will be legal to possess marijuana as of Jan. 1, 2017, there still won't be any legal method of obtaining pot.

"I don't see how the sale of marijuana can even be facilitated until the state Department of Taxation can come up with its set of regulations," he said. "So you're going to have almost an entire year where the sale, let alone the possession, of marijuana ... is still going to be illegal."

Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks said there are very few cases involving less than one ounce of marijuana where other, more severe, charges aren't also involved. However, he said for those few cases, he will continue to prosecute normally.

"I don't get to say 'I don't like this law, I do like this one,'" Hicks said. "My job is to enforce the laws, and if I can prove (they violated the law) and if the facts are there ... I (will continue to prosecute)."

Carson City District Attorney Jason Woodbury said his office will continue prosecuting these marijuana cases under the current law. He said the fact that Carson City voted against Question 2 factored into his decision.

Lol. So "legal" marijuana will actually be illegal until dispensaries are setup in 2018+, despite the fact that the state voted for legalization of marijuana. OK then. I'm genuinely curious if this dickbag can actually prosecute for possession after January 1st 2017.

I'm really confused though, since the consensus has been saying at least growing would be legal. I'll need to check out the law again, because I thought a grow post Jan-1 was supposed to be legit.

Just as a note MJ has been decriminalized for awhile here. I'm guessing that this is all about citation revenue.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That last sentence is mind-boggling. My city went blue in the election, can we change which party our electoral votes went to?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

I'm really confused though, since the consensus has been saying at least growing would be legal. I'll need to check out the law again, because I thought a grow post Jan-1 was supposed to be legit.
I'm sure the state will continue to prosecute people who are selling weed until the day the stores open, and even then it will still be open season when it comes to unlicensed street dealers and large scale growers. Adults will be be protected from prosecution by state law for possession of an ounce or less and will be allowed to grow six plants come Jan. 1st 2017.

These prosecutors won't have the legal standing to bring cases against most people once the law comes into effect.

Word is the Maine recount is unlikely to change the outcome, it passed by just over 4,000 votes in the end.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jeff Sessions is Trump's AG, and that doesn't bode well for hopes of a "hands off" federal response.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Jeff Sessions is Trump's AG, and that doesn't bode well for hopes of a "hands off" federal response.

Yeah :rip: legal weed.
Could there be any legal challenges or are the states boned?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

There are, but all that really needs to happen is congress makes a law to get around the 9th circuit decision against the US spending money to prosecute people in states with legal medical cannabis. Once that happens, :gas:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like how the GOP is all about states rights until it is something they want to control

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Yep, came here to post the news about Sessions. It'll be a non-dank, non-woke 4 years =(

Truly Clinton's biggest failure.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

theres no way they can crack down on the 30% of the nation's population in legal weed states or whatever the number is

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

theres no way they can crack down on the 30% of the nation's population in legal weed states or whatever the number is
It would be a tremendous waste of resources and an ultimately futile effort with nothing but downsides, unless you're an investor in the private prison industry. And that's been good enough for a lot of people up to this point, sadly.

So it's going to happen, or at least there's going to be a bumbling effort to try and do it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Saying this means they will.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

He won't go after you personally - but sorry for the farmers and the dispensaries. This guy is hardline Alabama style anti drug and pro prison.

And in a speech on the Senate floor earlier this year, Sessions criticized President Barack Obama for not being tough enough on marijuana, saying the U.S. could be at the beginning of “another surge in drug use like we saw in the ’60s and ’70s.”

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Were we honestly expecting Trump to appoint someone who isn't an authoritarian turd? We still don't know how Trumps administration plans on handling this and we won't know until they enter office.

They may still keep the current status quo for practical or political reasons. These guys can read polls, they know public opinion strongly favors legalization and they are likely smart enough to see that it's a fight that isn't worth picking. 2020 will factor into their thinking.

Don't expect the states with legal pot to just drop their laws at the first sign of a fight either. They aren't going to want to give up the revenue and nobody in D.C. can just change state laws, they would have to engage in a long legal battle that will take years to work its way through the courts and will gain them nothing but strong public disapproval.

And even if the absolute worst comes to pass and people within Washington manage to force states to dismantle their recreational marijuana programs we will see the eight states with legal revert to decriminalized and we will keep making progress on that front both at the ballot box and in state legislatures until the situation on Capitol Hill becomes more favorable. Don't expect them to even try fighting medical programs at all, they are way too popular to touch at this point.

This ain't over by a long shot.

fat bossy gerbil has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Nov 18, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

935 posted:

He won't go after you personally - but sorry for the farmers and the dispensaries. This guy is hardline Alabama style anti drug and pro prison.

And in a speech on the Senate floor earlier this year, Sessions criticized President Barack Obama for not being tough enough on marijuana, saying the U.S. could be at the beginning of “another surge in drug use like we saw in the ’60s and ’70s.”

You don't have to tell me that, I live in Alabama already :v:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I sincerely hope you're right, but the "assume the worst" way of thinking hasn't been wrong yet on the new administration.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah :rip: legal weed.
Could there be any legal challenges or are the states boned?

Legally, the States can't do anything however State and Local Law Enforcement can't be compelled to enforce Federal Law. I have a hard time seeing Federal Law Enforcement arresting otherwise law abiding citizens and putting them in Federal Prison.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

fat bossy gerbil posted:

And even if the absolute worst comes to pass and people within Washington manage to force states to dismantle their recreational marijuana programs we will see the eight states with legal revert to decriminalized and we will keep making progress on that front both at the ballot box and in state legislatures until the situation on Capitol Hill becomes more favorable. Don't expect them to even try fighting medical programs at all, they are way too popular to touch at this point.

DC is a good case-study for this. Voted to legalize in 2014, and Congress was unable to stop that happening but was able in the Cromnibus Bill to tack on a rider preventing any further changes to DC's marijuana laws. So DC right now it's totally legal (locally) to grow plants at home, gift and receive (but not trade/buy) cannabis, use it on private property not open to the public, etc.

I don't know if eight other states want to follow DC and just go "welp, we'd really like to have a regulated cannabis economy, but since you won't let us do that we're just going to let people do whatever provided it's not passing someone a handful of cash right in front of a cop, so whatever." DC has limited ways to get back-talky with Congress because of its status, but actual real states have a lot more latitude.

I was going to say "Sessions has to get *confirmed* first" but as of this morning Politico is saying that the Dems lack the leverage, and would need defecting Republicans to block Sessions: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/jeff-sessions-attorney-general-confirmation-231602

This could be a bumpy ride.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Legally, the States can't do anything however State and Local Law Enforcement can't be compelled to enforce Federal Law. I have a hard time seeing Federal Law Enforcement arresting otherwise law abiding citizens and putting them in Federal Prison.
No, instead federal law enforcement will periodically raid the largest and most successful cannabis businesses, seize their assets, and jail their management/ownership.

This will obviously put a damper on the industry, artificially inflate prices, and deter some people from entering the industry in the first place.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

shiksa posted:

weed becomes ultra-prohibited, all citizens must report for mandatory drug testing 5 days after the election and any with traces of thc in their system are imprisoned just long enough to load enough guns for the mass firing squad.

remember when this was a troll post

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Seems to me like the majority of states have at least medical marijuana, there might be a path there to pressure republican senators to try to push for a less anti-weed AG.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
What about the Vicinage Clause? How are they going to reliably get juries to convict when 60-80% of a state doesn't agree with the federal government? Wasting millions of dollars is bad optics.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I think that Sessions will try some BS but the states will push back hard, it's going to be messy.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

I think that Sessions will try some BS but the states will push back hard, it's going to be messy.

Good

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

Good it will make the Dems have to embrace ending federal prohibition.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Jeff Sessions, Donald Trump's new attorney general, said the Ku Klux Klan 'was OK until I found out they smoked pot’

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Crowsbeak posted:

Good it will make the Dems have to embrace ending federal prohibition.

It will have to be one of their platforms in 2020 to have some legs for voter appeal probably.

And to do that, they have to adopt the progressives.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lastgirl posted:

And to do that, they have to adopt the progressives.

ahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oh so apparently people in Colorado can smoke in some public places now legally? That's nice I guess. What's the deal with that law, I heard there were a million conditions.

• Locked thread