Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Open Marriage Night posted:

If you guys hate Game of Thrones so much, why don't you watch and post about something else?

No

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't watch anymore. I just watch clips on youtube.

I don't even have HBO, I just read all the spoilers. I do have the series on blu ray though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Just praying for more hot dude rear end tbh

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

If you guys hate Game of Thrones so much, why don't you watch and post about something else?

We don't hate GoT we hate the show, which is run and written by morons.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm halfway through season 1 of Rome now in case anyone was wondering

Where the heck is Crassus

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Dead before the series starts

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

He's name dropped by Mark Antony once.

That's it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

They need to get Chris Judge a role on GoT.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/TroyGoodfellow/status/858333751117586434

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Bobby Digital posted:

Dead before the series starts

And it literally starts after Vercingetorix was captured without actually showing the battle of Alesia with the double wall fuckery that is literally amazing

what is wrong with the people who made this show. yeah Crassus was already dead irl but they have no trouble making other poo poo up so

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't watch anymore. I just watch clips on youtube.

Well, you can easily watch the whole show that way.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just watch the Real Negus' episode recaps.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Around season 3 I started just watching clips of set pieces on YouTube and it's a much nicer experience than actually watching the show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the show didn't actually get bad until season 5 duder.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The earlier you hate a show, the cooler you are. You're just not as cool.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ah, like simpsons.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Phi230 posted:

We don't hate GoT we hate the show, which is run and written by morons.

I also hate the book series at this point, which is run and written by a fat rear end in a top hat.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i prefer the show to the books. the prose can be a little weird sometimes and grrm's editor seems to have lost her ability to restrain the author's worst impulses

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Phenotype posted:

I also hate the book series at this point, which is run and written by a fat rear end in a top hat.

Actually it's written by no one at this point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

i prefer the show to the books. the prose can be a little weird sometimes and grrm's editor seems to have lost her ability to restrain the author's worst impulses

Words are wind.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Around season 3 I started just watching clips of set pieces on YouTube and it's a much nicer experience than actually watching the show.

Personally I prefer gifs.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

"Heh", Joqen Hoggar smirks, looks into the camera and winks. Cut to credits

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

QuoProQuid posted:

Well the books are really awfully written, when they were still being written of course. And I always rather see an armor or a dinner table on the screen instead of reading a 4 page mind-boggling boring description of it. Also, the show is going to be finished

At the other hand, the show devolved into something that barely has a story, and the little it has seems to have being written by a 12 years old

Everything is terrible

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i never got how the books became popular, i tried reading them and the writing is very not good. like i've said before joe abercrombie is better at both the writing bit and the crafting stories bit.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

well, let's not be hyperbolic. the books have good world-building and, while the writing isn't great, the story is satisfactory up through storm of swords.

a feast for crows and a dance with dragons is where the story starts to lose its momentum and grrm starts piling on the archaic fantasy slang.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hopping around into all the different characters heads is an extremely effective technique when combined with the setting and power struggles.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i never got how the books became popular

I think it was mostly a money laundering scheme in the beginning. They got really big after celebrities like Tom Cruise started endorsing them and hipster got into them "ironically".

Seriosuly, the books are utter garbage and some of the worst poo poo I've ever read, on par with Mein Kampf

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i never got how the books became popular, i tried reading them and the writing is very not good. like i've said before joe abercrombie is better at both the writing bit and the crafting stories bit.

I thought I saw somewhere that they're thinking of doing a First Law series. I don't think that will work at all since being in the characters heads is what makes them interesting. How can you portray Glokta with out hearing his thoughts?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought I saw somewhere that they're thinking of doing a First Law series. I don't think that will work at all since being in the characters heads is what makes them interesting. How can you portray Glokta with out hearing his thoughts?

the handmaid's tale on hulu is managing it with amazing skill

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 30, 2017

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

They love it and they can't stop talking about it. They just think they hate it. Most of them will own the books (and will pre-order the next one if/when it becomes available), will have bought Blu-Ray boxsets (and moaned about those) and will inevitably buy the complete sets of both when they come out too.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

virtue signaling

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the question is kind of silly because people tend to be super bummed when something good/great gets lovely. nobody cares about the final episode of seinfeld or the sopranos being lame if the shows weren't great before that.

same with say a book series that started promising and then had two books where nothing happens.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 30, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

And of course, mixed in there are people that think AFFC and ADWD were perfect and any deviation, no matter how much it's near-universally praised by viewers, spurs anger.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if the series is going to have some kind of Oedipus Rex ending when Jon and Dany, neither of whom have shown any inclination towards incest, discover they're related. According to the spoilers they'll have slept together by the end of this season with Jon still not knowing he's a Targ.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Nobody ever finds out about Jon. Series just sort of ends without it mattering.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Why should it matter that he's half Targ? That's not what made him great, which is kind of a great statement in and of itself. You don't have to know you come from a great lineage to accomplish great things, titles and knighthood are a lie, etc.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah that's not what's going to happen though. Unless the season 8 cold open is everyone in Winterfell dying right before Jon and Dany get there. I guess it's not impossible given that the Wall comes down at the end this season but in general I really doubt someone won't tell him.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Chickenwalker posted:

Why should it matter that he's half Targ?
Because the story is set in a feudal world that is ruled by powerful families and where events are heavily shaped by political machinations?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

Why should it matter that he's half Targ?

well you see the series is titled....

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ned was an honorable man, he only cheated on Cat while in Ghost's body, that is why Jon is half targ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

LemonDrizzle posted:

Because the story is set in a feudal world that is ruled by powerful families and where events are heavily shaped by political machinations?

I'm saying that maybe the intention is to purposefully undermine that tradition?

• Locked thread