Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i'm excited for the "sansa abolishes the iron throne because monarchy loving sucks" ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i just want to know that the summer isles are ok

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

FuhrerHat posted:

i just want to know that the summer isles are ok

Isn't that where the black people come from in Gurm's bad books

e: read that as "what the summer isles are"

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Summer's Isle is doing fine, their harvest has only been ramping up since they paid proper homage to their gods. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHfv-NrPxnw

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Is the idea with the Others that if they overrun Westeros they'll bring on an eternal global winter? Because otherwise it's kinda funny that the apocalypse is about to happen and places like Qarth have no reason to care.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, I think the idea is that they won't stop at Westeros, hence even Asshai having prophecies about it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The long night was a global phenomenon the first time.

You know what's weird is that we still have no idea exactly how many WWs there are. We've only ever seen a very small number of them and several have been killed over the course of the show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think the time the greatest number of White Walkers was on screen at once was when the Night King was introduced.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Groovelord Neato posted:

the question is kind of silly because people tend to be super bummed when something good/great gets lovely. nobody cares about the final episode of seinfeld or the sopranos being lame if the shows weren't great before that.

same with say a book series that started promising and then had two books where nothing happens.

That's where I'm at. I've made a lot of cranky posts about GoT. I also missed a couple episodes last season and skipped probably half of every episode I watched.

Hopefully things will pick up and it'll become good at being what it is.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I can't really see any surprised impending... I think that GoT is going to be very predictable for the sake of ending as a good show. Any big shake-ups would be detrimental (which is good considering we don't like some of their previous shake-ups).

Please for the love of God though I hope we see less of Sam's moon face. He speaks unbearably slow.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Is the idea with the Others that if they overrun Westeros they'll bring on an eternal global winter? Because otherwise it's kinda funny that the apocalypse is about to happen and places like Qarth have no reason to care.

One of my favorite bits from the books were when the characters learned that no one outside Westeros gave a poo poo about their wars and political intrigues.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Alhazred posted:

One of my favorite bits from the books were when the characters learned that no one outside Westeros gave a poo poo about their wars and political intrigues.

You'd think those outsiders who trade a lot with Westeros, the Free Cities in particular, would care about how the wars affect their business.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kopijeger posted:

You'd think those outsiders who trade a lot with Westeros, the Free Cities in particular, would care about how the wars affect their business.

Well it seems the war has actually benefited them quite a bit actually

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
What happened with the Bank of Braavos?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Peanut President posted:

They financed the finest rowing boat in all of Planetos.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best ending would be i dunno jon and dany sit on the iron throne but a giant peasant revolt happens and all the remaining nobles are strung up.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Peanut President posted:

I bet they back Dany to overthrow the government that won't pay their bills

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Peanut President posted:

It's coming up again in season 7 so they haven't forgotten about it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

what happened to all guys who abandoned Stannis? Is this huge army just wandering around the north? Did Jon wave hi to them while riding around recruiting houses to fight the Boltons?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

banned from Starbucks posted:

what happened to all guys who abandoned Stannis? Is this huge army just wandering around the north? Did Jon wave hi to them while riding around recruiting houses to fight the Boltons?

Umm excuse me once something goes offscreen it stops existing

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

They became broken men, I'd imagine.

Septon Meribald posted:

He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain, or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them . . . but he should pity them as well.

Starting with Theon and the farmers' boys (the ones he hanged in lieu of the Starks), there'd been an incrementally-increasing focus on the smallfolk in the story, and it peaked in the books with the High Sparrow and his followers. I'd thought this was something that Martin would keep focusing on - eventually leading to Daenerys ending the monarchy at the end of the series - and the ruins of Stannis' army would've been a good place to show it in the books, but all we have is the show.

You want a good story but need the bad writing.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder if the series is going to have some kind of Oedipus Rex ending when Jon and Dany, neither of whom have shown any inclination towards incest, discover they're related. According to the spoilers they'll have slept together by the end of this season with Jon still not knowing he's a Targ.

Howland Reed is definitely gonna pop up to tell Jon he's a targbabby.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

A storyline about a bunch of extras that went home is probably not the best use of screentime.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Well I figure that story line was so loving stupid and nonsensical they'd at least give it 1 line of dialog.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They were sellswords so they probably joined the Boltons and then died in the battle of the bastards. Either that or they went to Eastwatch and sailed back to the free cities. Anyway, who cares?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

When are we going to learn how that girl whose father hosted Arya and the Hound learned to make such good soup? This show is trash if it doesn't reveal that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You can add "died on the way back to his/their home planet" to the GoT bingo card.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I hated the first book as soon as i gazed upon the cover, and the series was unwatchable once the first trailer came out.

Please proclaim me king of this thread.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

hitchensgoespop posted:

I hated the first book as soon as i gazed upon the cover, and the series was unwatchable once the first trailer came out.

Please proclaim me king of this thread.

Sorry but to become king you need to assassinate the old king, it is known.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

Suxpool posted:

Howland Reed is definitely gonna pop up to tell Jon he's a targbabby.

Was Howland Reed present? I thought it was only Ned.
Edit: by this I mean I thought Ned was the only person in the tower. Yes, Howland survived the battle and is currently alive (for now).

Valar Morghulis fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 3, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Valar Morghulis posted:

Edit: by this I mean I thought Ned was the only person in the tower. Yes, Howland survived the battle and is currently alive (for now).

Reed might not have been in the tower, but if Ned came out carrying a newborn baby, I think he (Reed) was probably smart enough to realize that it wasn't his own bastard son.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Valar Morghulis posted:

The show had at least one random slave woman or midwife or whatever in the room that is never acknowledged and it bothers me.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

The show had at least one random slave woman or midwife or whatever in the room that is never acknowledged and it bothers me.

**Ned strides out of the tower holding john in his arms. The camera lingers on a small brown haired girl in rags tending to the dead body of neds sister.

She slowly turns to face the camera. Her face revealed.....Arya.....She raises one finger to her lips and motions to the viewer..."shhhhhhh......."

Scene fades to black**

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Oops, wrong thread.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Reed might not have been in the tower, but if Ned came out carrying a newborn baby, I think he (Reed) was probably smart enough to realize that it wasn't his own bastard son.

Ned comes out with Wylla. "We had sex just now and had this baby come on let's go home."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lycus posted:

Ned comes out with Wylla. "We had sex just now and had this baby come on let's go home."

That certainly sounds like the best lie Ned could've thought of.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Valar Morghulis posted:

Fairly sure Ned's posse knew they were going to retrieve Lyanna Stark, and everybody knew Rhaegar was the one who "kidnapped" her.

But yeah there were 2 midwives in the room with Ned and Lyanna also.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

Comrade Koba posted:

Never thought of it like that.

Comrade Koba posted:

GRRM may very well write that Reed had gone off somewhere far by the time Ned got out and never saw the baby.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Phi230 posted:

Umm excuse me once something goes offscreen it stops existing

You shut up... Gendry is still there somewhere, my heart knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Manic X posted:

You shut up... Gendry is still there somewhere, my heart knows it.

Yeah he's in the new season.

• Locked thread