Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
CotS tends to be a little softer and more broken up/less pretty which makes it fine for mashing into something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Avoid Pampa, a Dollar Tree thing if I remember right.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Birthday haul from Jungle Jim's today. There were a bunch of really nice tunas, but they were like twenty bucks each

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I got my friends into tinned fish with Caesar salad, they all thought anchovies were super gross until I made it this way:

Dressing:

1/2 tin of chovies (I like Roland)
1-2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup or so of mayo
Juice of 1 lemon
Bunch of black pepper

Blend the poo poo out of it, pour on Romaine, add shaved Parmesan, the rest of the anchovies chopped up, and croutons if you want

A local grocery store I started going to has a great deen selection. I was previously only getting King Oscar, and they were good, but wanted to try some other stuff. I was super impressed with these from Bar Harbor:

Firm without being dry, sweet, and nice mild flavor. I also tried the Ortiz in the jar, which were good but expensive, huge, and honestly not worth it compared to the Bar Harbor unless you want your deens to be big.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

Birthday haul from Jungle Jim's today. There were a bunch of really nice tunas, but they were like twenty bucks each

I'd be interested in what the cod's like, I've never tried that canned

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The last tinned cod I had was super super firm to the point of bouncy, with a neutral flavor. It's one of my favorite fishes in general, but I don't know if I'd recommend tinned unless you love it

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The one firm that packs sardines that way under 100 different names always produces a great product. Small, skin-on circular container, transparent top.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Remulak posted:

The one firm that packs sardines that way under 100 different names always produces a great product. Small, skin-on circular container, transparent top.

At Publix it’s sold under Brunswick for less than KO and I’ve kinda switched over

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Remulak posted:

Ok I wondered who was packaging them, since Maine is not exactly known for sardines. And I think I saw a review of a King Oscar variety that looked similar.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Remulak posted:

Don't know the company for sure but I think they're mostly from Latvia. Maybe ‎Brivais Vilnis?

edit: I've been slacking on canned fish consumption, I'll have to get back to it soon. I have been eating a lot of fish in the form of frozen fish balls (leftovers of a big batch of laksa noodles). Fish balls are so much better than I would have guessed back before I started using them.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 24, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Aldi here had some of those sardines with circular container, transparent top a few months ago. Tried it last month, and I didn't like them. Might have been a knockoff.

Does anybody know some good canned fish shippers for Germany? And fish brands and reviewers.
The offers and prices tend to be very different here. I generally get what I can find at local stores, but I feel like I should move up in quality.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

cant you just take a train to portugal or something sorry im bitter

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
This came up on my Instagram feed: poor man's Oysters Rockefeller.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

getting bpa poisoning just looking at that. trust fund hobos cookin' in the can

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

This came up on my Instagram feed: poor man's Oysters Rockefeller.

Hm I’ve never thought to broil dines in the tin

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
My tinned fish party was an unmitigated success. I have recruited two more to the fold.

Favorite quote from the night "You don't really notice the bones, and when you do, they're actually not that bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Roki B posted:

My tinned fish party was an unmitigated success. I have recruited two more to the fold.

Favorite quote from the night "You don't really notice the bones, and when you do, they're actually not that bad"

on the one hand well done, my goon

on the other, that's two more people who will eat dines previously destined for me