Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

marauderthirty posted:

I bought these shits after stumbling upon the last 'dine thread:

As you can clearly see, I still haven't opened them. Judging from this thread, I made 2 rookie mistakes in buying cheap 'dines and also getting them in water. I don't remember there being much selection. Anyway, I'm not really into fish, but these drat threads make them sound so appealing. I have had and enjoyed the smoked oysters (on crackers w/ hot sauce), and our family friends brought some salmon from their annual trip to Alaska this last summer and smoked it and it tasted like delicious fish candy, which is not something you would expect someone who doesn't like fish much to ever say but that's the best way I can describe it. So good. So with that in mind, recommend me a good quality 'dine, 'dine thread. Obviously I'll go for something if it's smoked, but if the fishyness isn't super pronounced I think I can handle it. I would be willing to order a tin online if necessary.

Those 'dines rank pretty high on the 'worst things I've ever eaten' list. Their mustard ones are tolerable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is it funny to call them "Sars" instead of "dines?"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The mustard sardines from Bumblebee are all right if you're on a budget. Nothing can help water though, that's why those varieties are always cheaper across the board.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just opened my Christmas gifts (we did our Christmas early so people with jobs could attend) and I got a box full of King Oscar sardines and kipper snacks!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Okay a couple weeks late, but hey, glad there's a new 'dine thread to post these in. While I was in China I got the urge for sardines so I went to the store to look for some. These are all I could find.

http://imgur.com/a/mJ589

Grody, huge, boney. And yet they still tasted okay. They were two different kinds; the slimmer kind was a little better and easier to manage/debone. I ate the ribs but removed the spines. Adding some chinese chili powder helped considerably.

All in all I am glad to be back in the land of easily available KO royal dines

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Admiral Bosch posted:

Okay a couple weeks late, but hey, glad there's a new 'dine thread to post these in. While I was in China I got the urge for sardines so I went to the store to look for some. These are all I could find.

Grody, huge, boney. And yet they still tasted okay. They were two different kinds; the slimmer kind was a little better and easier to manage/debone. I ate the ribs but removed the spines. Adding some chinese chili powder helped considerably.

What in the gently caress have they done to that fish :chloe:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
There's a sardine thread
On something awful dot com
Goons eat the damned bones

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Bardeh posted:

What in the gently caress have they done to that fish :chloe:

looks smoked/dried. pr'lly still pretty good.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Male Tears posted:

Feed these to a cat; don't even try eating them or they'll ruin sardines for you.

Good call, I've had a bad feeling about them even though they are still good for another 9 months. I'll try to locate some fancier looking ones for myself, and give these to our cats.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
ya hosed up son

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Just ate my last two cans. Checked the second one, best by 2014. Lmao.

First can was best by 2013.

Will let you know if I get violently ill

Smell fine, taste fine. Whatever. A year or two past isn't the same as a day or two, it's be obvious if they were.. Rancid.

God drat sardines are good.

Update

I'm fine. No regrets

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Checking the cans at the store with Best Buy dates in 2018 means I prob bought those two cans in 2010 and 2011. Those cans have made it through several moves.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Admiral Bosch posted:

The rarest 'dines :staredog:

I can sme,ll them from here

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Admiral Bosch posted:

There is no God.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
hey do you guys think hermoine from Harry Potter ever said the n word??

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Nooner posted:

hey do you guys think hermoine from Harry Potter ever said the n word??
the actress or the character????

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

poo poo man I haven't had a sardine since my late father was pushing them on me a couple years back.

I think I failed to pick up some wisdom from that man, of course he would pluck minnows out of the water at the beach and eat them whole so...

Aight gently caress it I'mma run up to the store and get some sardines, I don't want my arteries to rot after all.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Isn't Texas where they legislated that Tomas Jefferson wasn't a founding father because he believed in the separation of church and state? Just nuke it already. We wouldn't even need oil if a bunch of redneck idiots weren't so afraid of nuclear power because they can't correctly pronounce "nuclear".

naem
May 29, 2011

Male Tears posted:

There's a sardine thread
On something awful dot com
Goons eat the damned bones

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

numberoneposter posted:

the actress or the character????

The character

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Um bones are good quit being a bitch

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Oops Awful app is awful sorry for the doubles.

Thump! fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 21, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Holy poo poo these KO dines are tasty as poo poo.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

this is what british people look like and the food they eat

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I had fisherman's eggs and miso soup for dinner twice last week. I know it's theoretically a breakfast thing but I roll out of bed about 10 minutes before I should be out the door so I don't have time to bake anything.

Anyway it's a tasty and filling dinner and takes very little prep. A+ will eat again probably semi-weekly for the rest of my life. maybe less if I find a lady friend that doesn't want me to have garlicky sardine breath when we make sweet love every night but I dunno it might be a dealbreaker.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thump! posted:

Oops Awful app is awful sorry for the doubles.

Images uploaded through awful go super big. Protip is to just edit in the timg tags after and it'll be good to go

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I put Anchovies in my dinner salad tonight.

I also bought a can of Bumble bee sardines in mustard.

And so it begins.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

dad gay. so what posted:

this is what british people look like and the food they eat

your av is a walrus so im pretty sure youre just mad theyre stealing your lunch

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

I've been participating in the KO Haiku contest throughout the day and I think I can identify which of the other commenters are goons with 90% confidence.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

I put Anchovies in my dinner salad tonight.

I also bought a can of Bumble bee sardines in mustard.

And so it begins.

there will be a goon backlash against sardines every bit as bitter and harsh as the backlash against bacon

it's coming

enjoy your dines in the open while you can

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
"Oh goody, another fat human being goon rhapsodizing about goddamn canned fish. SO WACKY."

that's the kind of posting you can expect

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

cram me sideways posted:

there will be a goon backlash against sardines every bit as bitter and harsh as the backlash against bacon

it's coming

Ride the dines till I die

Lowtax can suck my dine

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

cram me sideways posted:

it's coming

Whatever, even if sardines become uncool, they'll still be healthy. That could never be said for bacon.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh no my stinking dad fish is no longer on trend

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What are the best sardines to get at Sprouts?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Male Tears posted:

Whatever, even if sardines become uncool, they'll still be healthy. That could never be said for bacon.
i think they arnt cool at all they are kind of a weird underdog of snack foods enjoyed by dads and people who identify as dads

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

numberoneposter posted:

people who identify as dads

Transdad, if you will

naem
May 29, 2011

My dad and I never ate sardines together, ever. I was 100% making all that up in the previous thread.

My dad was a copywriter for years at multiple ad agencies and wrote touching descriptions that made you want to buy products however and I have honored his memory by tricking you all into eating stinky fish

Jokes on me though because it turns out sardines are awesome and I can't stop eating them

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

sardines are the loving poo poo, has anyone said this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know smack was talked about Brunswick earlier in the thread, but I have the occasional tendency to get these and eat them with crackers out of the tin.

Sardines can gently caress off, though.