Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Brunswick is an okay dine. I don't mind eating the Bruns, or if I was not white, the B diddy reruns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ate another can tonight and Chased it with salty vinnies

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Ate another can tonight and Chased it with salty vinnies

:swoon:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Brunswicks are caught 'n' canned really close to where I live, and I am very okay with that and them.

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 22, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh no my stinking dad fish is no longer on trend

whelp, time to start a new burger thread then. or a beef tongue thread

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jymmybob posted:

Those 'dines rank pretty high on the 'worst things I've ever eaten' list. Their mustard ones are tolerable though.

Even the mustard ones are a gamble because there's about a 50/50 chance that the mustard has any flavor at all. When you open a can it's entirely possible you're just getting low quality sardines in flavorless yellow goop.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Always get a pair of dine cans when at the store. You never know when lazyness will strike and the hunger sets in.

Pop that poo poo open, pour some Tabasco in it, eat it with a fork and then slurp the tomato juices.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Sardines can gently caress off, though.

disrespectful imo...................

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

a starwar betamax posted:

disrespectful imo...................

mario's lesser known brother

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
hmmmmm king oscar Mediterranean dines were pretty bland; still tasty but not much diff between them and regular dines in oil

the jalapeno and black pepper ones though.... *makes exaggerated italian kiss gesture*

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I was at the Christmas party for my old job yesterday. It was at the bowling alley like we do every year. Top three high scores got a gift card. I got second place; 25 bucks at the local grocery chain. 25 dollars worth of dines here i come

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Made Fisherman's Eggs today. Really delicious, one of the best ways to eat them. Hot out of the oven in the small cast iron skillet, and kitty got to lick the tin too :cabot:

Thanks for the suggestion, I had not done this before with sardines, I been a cracker and avocado man until today

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Sardines are canned in many different ways. At the cannery, the fish are washed, their heads are removed, and the fish are cooked, either by deep-frying or by steam-cooking, after which they are dried. They are then packed in either olive, sunflower, or soybean oil, water, or in a tomato, chili, or mustard sauce.

:staredog:

Has anyone had deep fried 'dines? I bet fresh, breaded 'dines would be amazing.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

AEMINAL posted:

I've had breaded and deep fried 'dines and they were amazing. Fresh dines though, not canned.

Also great grilled to a char, cleaned with head intact.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know smack was talked about Brunswick earlier in the thread, but I have the occasional tendency to get these and eat them with crackers out of the tin.

Sardines can gently caress off, though.

fry that poo poo up with an egg for a good breakfast

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Smoke my "kipper" and I'll make you breakfast.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

Smoke my "kipper" and I'll make you breakfast.

stfu noob

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My favorite book is Sardine Etiquette: The Sardo's and Sardon'ts of Proper Sardine Snacking

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I actually started searching for that book before I realized that it was a Nooner post :(

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I couldn't keep any food down from being waayyyyyyyy too hung over, no joke, until I started thinking about 'dines. No cans of dines at home, but had one KO Mackerel left from my taster. King Oscar's Olive Oil Mackerel is delicious, but needs the Frank's more then the Mediterranean did. I got some actual full fillets in this one as well!

Sardines in some way cured my gut problems.

What can I say thread? You Goons got me hooked. :coolfish:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

"Why does the kitchen smell like cat food?" -GF

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nooner posted:

My favorite book is Sardine Etiquette: The Sardo's and Sardon'ts of Proper Sardine Snacking

DO: Eat the dang bones.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

What's the best way to fry up a dine, anyways? Is it okay to just toss it on a pan for a few minutes straight from the can orrrrr....????

I'm not a cook and I don't want to burn my kitchen down trying to get some fried dine goodness :ohdear:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

AEMINAL posted:

I've never seen fresh sardines sold in a grocery store where I live but I do occasionally see fresh caught river smelt and I can tell you they are delicious fried, I posted about them in the last thread:

quote:

Saw some fresh caught river smelts at winco the other day for 3/lb, made some breading by grinding up some fresh garlic with flour, salt, cayenne pepper and mixing in an egg, pan fried em whole and ate em bone and all with my girlfriend. Turned out super good a+ would recommend.

You can either yank the head off (and the spine will come with it) or just eat it whole if you enjoy the crunch. Easy to do too. The gf in question is from taiwan and can eat with the dadliest of dads, apparently cutting heads off seafood is kind of a western thing and people think it's kinda weird over there, cooking with whole shrimp/fish/etc is much more common.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BaconCopter posted:

I couldn't keep any food down from being waayyyyyyyy too hung over, no joke, until I started thinking about 'dines. No cans of dines at home, but had one KO Mackerel left from my taster. King Oscar's Olive Oil Mackerel is delicious, but needs the Frank's more then the Mediterranean did. I got some actual full fillets in this one as well!

Sardines in some way cured my gut problems.

What can I say thread? You Goons got me hooked. :coolfish:

Get that Sambal Olek and ditch the filthy Franks

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Get that Sambal Olek and ditch the filthy Franks

o7 shall report back soon. Definitely trying that cracked pepper dine pack. Sounds sooo good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Thump! posted:

What's the best way to fry up a dine, anyways? Is it okay to just toss it on a pan for a few minutes straight from the can orrrrr....????

I'm not a cook and I don't want to burn my kitchen down trying to get some fried dine goodness :ohdear:

From the can get that pan hot (medium high, maybe even high if you're a bold bro) drop in some can oil put that dine in there for 2 min if it's small dine, 3 min if big dine carefully turn over, 2-3 more minutes, put into mouth. Also can broil.

Then can dines are already cooked, you just wanna maillard them up a peench.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 23, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

From the can get that pan hot (medium high) drop in some can oil put that dine in there for 2 min if it's small dine, 3 min if big dine carefully turn over, 2-3 more minutes, put into mouth. Also can broil.

Nice, I might try that tomorrow morning with some eggs.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Did you do the fisherman fish from second post??

Do that first it's real hard to gently caress it up.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finished my second can of the lovely chicken of the sea sardines in "hot" sauce. (Bumblebee sardines from Poland (they have to be polish, the Canadian ones aren't nearly as hot)) are my usual go to.)

I cracked a KO olive oil and jfc the quality increase is unreal.

Just check the presentation :

Vs

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Did you do the fisherman fish from second post??

Do that first it's real hard to gently caress it up.

Do you cook the fishes in their can or do you pour them into the dish? I don't want to blow my oven up amigo.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dump them out bro

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Fister Roboto posted:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Thump! posted:

Do you cook the fishes in their can or do you pour them into the dish? I don't want to blow my oven up amigo.
Also don't do his recipe 500 loving degrees lol are you making a pizza or what haha???

use this one and go nuts with the garlic and presley.

http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/03/25/fishermans-eggs/

obviously you can add more to it, ive used hot peppers as well in the veggie mix, you could even GO CRAZY and add some curry powder for an ethnic twist!

quote:

Fisherman’s Eggs (serves 2 or 1 hungry dad)

125g can sardines
4 large eggs
2 tsps fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
1/4 small, white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 375, place an ovenproof dish inside while you assemble the ingredients.
Flake the sardines together with the parsley, garlic and onion. Season generously with black pepper and tip into the heated ovenproof dish. Put in oven for five minutes.
Gently crack the eggs into a bowl. Remove the sardines from the oven and carefully pour the eggs on top. Season generously and return to oven for 15 minutes until the eggs are cooked but jiggly. Let sit for a few minutes before serving so they congeal further.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

Also don't do his recipe 500 loving degrees lol are you making a pizza or what haha???

use this one and go nuts with the garlic and presley.

http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/03/25/fishermans-eggs/

obviously you can add more to it, ive used hot peppers as well in the veggie mix, you could even GO CRAZY and add some curry powder for an ethnic twist!

Do 500 bitch boy

375 is for anemic women

E: Holy poo poo I kinda read that recipie flake the dines how about lol no

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

how about thanks for the OPs but i bet you suck balls at cooking, how about them dines????

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

how about thanks for the OPs but i bet you suck balls at cooking, how about them dines????

How about anyone afraid to put small precooked fish into the five hundo SUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

hmmmm ok time to cook with the oven, lets see, well the dial goes up to 500 id be a fool to set it to anything less