Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was so nervous about proposing to my girlfriend today that I had no appetite but my kid said I had to eat something so I dadded it up with some Canadian Cloverleaf dines over the sink and it was perfect.

She said yes, and I didn’t even fish-burp at her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

isaboo posted:

did you put the ring in the empty tin and present it to her??

btw for which anniversary are sardines an appropriate gift?

I did not think to use the tin. Maybe next time.

I plan to celebrate our love with sardines weekly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Walked to our local fishmonger to pick up some celebratory oysters, but they were out. They had some dine-and-dine-adjacent things I hadn’t tried before, from Portugal and Spain. Looking forward to a voyage of discovery!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

These were all unexceptional and fine except for the cockles which were metallic and gritty. Maybe I was supposed to soak or rinse them?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I picked up a couple of things at the fishmonger and mentioned that I’d liked the Riga smoked sardines, and the guy recommended that I try

Which was quite nice in terms of texture and taste (trimmed tails, fancy!) but for $9.50 Canadian I don’t think I’ll be making a habit of them. (They are also nothing like the Riga other than the rough size of the fish, as far as I can tell.)

I am looking forward to the scallops from the same brand, though…

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gasmask posted:

I'm going solo camping and I want to eat dad food. I was going to have tinned chilli but i'm now considering dines.

What do I need? Couple of cans and a pack of Ritz??

Bear spray.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m used to stern bear warnings for a lot of local hikes, so “fish fillet for a snack while in the wilderness” sounds sort of like complicated suicide to me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Android Apocalypse posted:

I don't have baking powder at this beach house I'm staying at this week & I want to make biscuits. Let's see how this goes!
:cheeky:

Mmm, umami.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just dumped a can of Portuguese stickleback into a scramble of eggs and vegetables, and it was fine. Not sure I’ve ever had stickleback before!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hadn’t until I saw this at the greengrocer, and then I really had no choice but to pick it up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fishmonger had some things that looked interesting!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

had the marinated sardines today, on crackers, and they were super good. they’re packed in oil and vinegar so you get a nice balance of richness and acid, and the delicate meatiness of the butterflied sardines. goddammit I just had dessert and I’m thinking about trying the anchovies right now

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

borrowed time, my friend

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fartington Butts posted:

This is the situation where they are good in water:

Monterey? That place always makes me hungry.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If anyone is in Toronto, preferably west end, and knows where they sell KO dines, I would deeply appreciate a tip.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brolander posted:

Not sure if distribution has changed to where you can get KO there, but in Canada you'll want to look for Clover Leaf, King Oscar supplies their dines

Oh, I have a bunch of those in the cupboard! Thanks, I can stop chasing my tiny, delicious white whales.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can get Riga at the fish market near me, happily.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man it is so nice to be able to just grab a can of delicious fishies and crack it open and wolf it over the sink—or toss them in a bowl with some diced onion and a squeeze of lemon—or fork them onto a cracker with a dash of hot sauce—or no doubt a bunch of other easy preparations…

…and have a delightful, high-protein, mostly nutritious snack. I don’t have a point beyond wanting to sing some praises. I might have some now to see how they pair with a beer. God bless the ‘dines.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Our usual fishmonger is closed this week for a well-deserved break, so we hit a new-to-us one the next neighbourhood over. Got lots of great stuff, and as soon as I saw these beautiful packages I knew I had to have them.

I don’t think I’ve had razor clams before!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m on this diet thing that keeps recommending tinned fish and I’m like “OK, if you insist…”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

how much tinfish could you be eating if you have that much left?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ll take three

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Now I’m thinking about getting out of bed for some dines, but instead I’ll save them for lunch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roundup Ready posted:

Must lead to absolutely legendary farts too

Apropos nothing, air quality sensors are coming to Android phones in the moderately-near future.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crossposting an incredible site

Leperflesh posted:

Dunno if a straight up web store is allowed, but: https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/ is a store that sells every single kind of canned fish (and cephalopod etc., just think seafood in a can). It has tools for sorting through the 700+ different tins of fish, and by "tools" I mean a Google Sheets spreadsheet linked directly from the site page. So without buying anything you can actually use this site as a tool for figuring out which eighteen brands sell gristling sardines packed in tomato and spice, and how big each can is and what it costs etc.

It also has tagging with filters, so you can click the "SARDINE SIZE BIG (CHONKERS)" tag to get this page https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/product-tag/large/ or "tin level: advanced" to get https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/product-tag/advanced-tin/ which lists some cans of fish that cost $45
or

how about all the stuff talked about by instagram/tiktok canned fish influencer "daywithmei"? https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/product-tag/daywithmei/

it's loving amazing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think my upcoming birthday party will demand RTG-sourced tinfish as cover charge

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tried these fried (?) mussels on a basic green salad yesterday, and used the packing oil/sauce as dressing. Very good, though smoked mussels are a bit firmer in a way that I prefer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder how one pays from countries that don’t have Zelle! I hope to find out soon

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VictualSquid posted:

They had a stack of Moroccan sardines with chili on sale an I grabbed a few. Now I got around to trying one and they taste amazing, they will probably be no longer in the store when I have the next opportunity to go there. And I can't find them on the internet, though while good they are not at the worth mail ordering tier.

Please share the brand in case others get lucky!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Remulak posted:

crisp in olive oil

I guess, if you’re out of duck fat

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Remulak posted:

Good idea in general, but in retrospect I put a chunked Spanish tortilla with sardines inside Mexican tortillas, olive oil was correct.

Let’s compromise with a recommendation for use of lard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hollismason posted:

What? I can't eat bones or cartilage

if you have an allergy, I don’t know that the processing methods for tinfish are precise and thorough enough that you’d want to trust them