Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ceciltron posted:

Trip report:

RIGA SPRATS ARE AMAZING.

They are pretty perfect.

WatermelonGun posted:

The black pepper king oscars are good poo poo. ate a tin for lunch and got a big boner.

They make my teeth feel weird and give me a headache. I regret buying a 12 pack. I was sure I'd like them and they're my least favorite KO flavor so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
hell yeah that's a good deal. I want that deal.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
hmm i see the deal and it's a different can than the ones I'm used to. I wonder if the "Riga Gold" with the printing on the lid is different than the $20/12 rigas w/o the printing on the lid.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Tried the belas with the red pepper on the tin. Fish were large but decent. I detected no pepper flavor at all. Disappointed.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

pahuyuth posted:

Bela is by far the best brand I've had yet, but the Lemon Olive Oil flavor is a bit too overpowering for me. Still the Bela fishies are big and tasty on their own. Way better than King Oscar IMO.

Yeah I was excited to find them (found @ fresh market) because I've read good reviews and have never actually seen a can of them anywhere before. I was disappointed in the free-space in the can, the roughed-up appearance of the fish, and the lack of the advertised flavoring. The fish tasted fine though, and they weren't overcooked, and I found no scales at all..

Smaller 'dines are nice if you're eating in public and don't want to look extra-gross smashing up a sardine for a cracker at lunch, but I do think I like the Bela fish a bit more than some of the smaller KOs I've had. I think riga golds are the best though, and they're small.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Fister Roboto posted:

Protip for Easter: You can't make real deviled eggs without sardines.

i think you're wrong. i googled 'sardine deviled eggs' and found this

four things come to mind:
:barf:
:chloe:
the word "why"
the word "no"

vvv I concur

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
looks like sweaty tumors!!!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Capoeira Capybara posted:

So I've got some juice left over from some peppers and some pickles, and I want to make pickled eggs. Do I just boil them, shell them, and brine them?

That would be the way to do it but reusing brine is a bad idea for eggs. You can make fresh and sterile brine very easily. the time consuming part is loving around with the eggs, so you're not really gaining anything much using leftover brine anyway.

Also eggs don't really quick-pickle so if that was the plan save yourself the effort. Gotta leave those shits in there for like 2 months to get any flavor

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Also I should mention I use canning technique for p. eggs but I assume plenty of dads slop it together and survive just fine

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ceciltron posted:

Some of you may remember that Number 1 Sexy Dad mailed me a bunch of King Oscars and other fine sardine treats a few months ago. It is now time for me to return the kindness in the only way I can:

BY MAILING THE FIRST REQUESTER SOME STRANGE FRENCH CAN FISHES! That's right, I'll mail the first taker on this offer whatever weird Canadia-land French fishes I can find. I'll PM the first taker.

Rock on, Ceciltron. May your strange fish swim straight and true to their destination goon. I salute you.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Dirt posted:

Hello Sardine thread. :coolfish:

I read this whole drat thread at work the other day on my phone for some reason, and now I have a craving for a food I have never tried. I also googled a bit about dines, because I was bored, apparently they really are very healthy to eat! I am not a big seafood guy, so this is all new to me.

Picked up one can of these bad boys today:

Probably gonna eat as a snack later tonight. I will let you know how it goes. I have no idea if I will like it or not.

Ya done good

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Look Sir Droids posted:

Okay, Sardudes. What do I do with smoked kippers and smoked oysters?

Eat the kipper with a fork. I you have been working on the car and you have grease under your nails, you may use your fingers.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

AEMINAL posted:

gently caress, just dropped a dine on my pants and it fell on the floor and splashed all over everything

Always Eat Dines Over Sink

You ate it anyway though right?

Right?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

sirspankalot posted:

I ate some sardines after the recommendations itt. Ended up hurling for 7 hours afterwards. Never again.

you did it wrong / more for me

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ceciltron posted:

Garlic man, it's all about the raw garlic.

Those are actually pickled, which takes a lot of the edge off.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Tried the Riga smoked sprat pate yesterday. It was a homogenous, gray, firm, very light mousse that smelled like oily fish.

Have you ever imagined what canned cat food tastes like? This stuff is like your most optimistic estimate. Smoke and sardine heads. It was too firm and light to spread into a presentable form.

I tried it on vegetable Ritz crackers. My dog got most of it. I did not care for it. Will not buy again.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Cody Banks posted:

What are the best crackers to go with dines? Just regular ol' saltines?

Wasa is a popular brand with a selection of flavors. They are cheap, bland, durable, and seemingly never go stale. They're also big, so sardines fit easily.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Tried the Alshark in tomato 'dines for an afternoon snack. Thought they were gross. My Wasas were stale as gently caress and disgusting but i feel like using that as an excuse for not eating the 'dines means I have Low T or something.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Is that the Ina Garten lentils + mirepoix + dijon vinaigrette? Cause if so, I bet it was drat amazin.g

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

naem posted:

I bought some random lentil salad from a Walgreens refrigerator thing near work and had some dines on me lol. It was good

Huh! I had no idea you could get lentil salad at the drug store

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
David attenborough taught me that clams and oysters are pretty much just worms with shells. Enjoy your worms.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

cloofish posted:

Tried dines for the first time today. Not really in the dad territory (going on 23 next month), but I figured what the hell, might as well get a head start. Growing up, my mom loved sardines and my dad hated everything about them. Go figure.

Basically I just bought the recommended King Oscar's in the OP and toasted some Thomas Whole Grain English muffins and put sardines on it and :tviv: where has this been in my life. The taste, the health benefits, the price, the it's all there. I've been wondering why one of GBS's biggest threads is about some dumb fish for a while now but now I've been enlightened. Probably going to have the same thing with an egg tomorrow then try out some dine recipes over the weekend.

e: And I was worried about the bones, but I didn't taste or feel them at all except for the occasional spine, which was actually a treat.

Congratulations and welcome! You don't have to be a dad to eat a 'dine.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ferroque posted:

Had my first dines today and they were good. This is going to be the start of a long journey I think

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Art-dines: the Dadliest Craft
So I'm a starving artist who, thanks to this thread, loves the dine. Not only for its sheer tastiness, but it's cheap protein for my broke rear end... and I also can re-use the tins for art supplies.

Yeah, I've taken to making goofy art dines out of dine tins. Would any of y'all be interested in buying one, if I set up an SA-Mart thread? Father's Day is coming up...

I would very probably buy a few of these.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hmm... groaty

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

nawcom posted:

no where to be found locally. i might order some through amazon, but gently caress this. I've honestly had every variation of their dines other than these. I've even tried their mackerel through facebook awards. that poo poo ain't sold locally either.

bah, i'll probably order a pack from amazon in a few days. i'm looking for goon support on whether it's worth the price

also, at my local Mejier (Michigan) they've raised the price for KO anchovies ($1.50 -> 2.00) and i think a few of the sardine cans have gone up in price too. Nothing close to $3 or higher (I'm bitching at you, Kroger).

I have a bunch and will send you some for free if you live in the continental US. I don't care for them. If you PM me a name and address I'll send next week.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Herr Tog posted:

may i have one?

Sure! Just send me a PM.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Herr Tog posted:

email acceptable substitute?

Sure. Hero dot juicebox at google's emailz dot corn

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Man, I loving hate tabbouleh. Ain't it supposed to be all lemony too? I like parsley just fine but it's terrible as a main ingredient IMO.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Also I have seen PMs and emails about my KO pepper dines. Give me another day to get my poo poo together and I'll reply. Thanks!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Sheep-Goats posted:

No it ain't lemony

I think parsley has some of the stuff that cilantro has that makes some people with defective genes hate it but I think it's great

The best salad I had was in an Egyptian restaurant near Astoria that was kinda like an Israeli salad (tom, cuke) hosed into tabbouleh (parsely, onion, a little grain) with some arugula and dill too I think, all pretty well balanced by volume and fierceness. Normally the best food is home food not restaurant food and I have a different salad I make good but that one was pretty close to perfect

Maybe I should give it another chance. I've only had it at a place in Ohio and I think it was literally just parsley, barley, and lemon juice. It loving sucked. Will try it again somewhere else.

E: it might have been chickpeas, not barley

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 14, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Turdsdown Tom posted:

tonight i am slamming a cross pack of KO extra virgin oil with a sleeve of ritz crackers

I did that the other night. It's good.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

thathonkey posted:

how do y'all eat sardines on the go without making a huge mess of yourself and surroundings ?? need smoe tips

I usually put mine in a blender bottle without the metal springball and slurp them thru the hole in the cap.

Or you can get GoSard, it's like gogurt but with fish instead of yogurt

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

BeanBandit posted:

and I've failed as an old man. :(

I didn't like 'em either. That's why i gave them away. :shrug:

In cooking things sous vide, a lot of people say that putting pepper in the bag for a long cook can give your meat a nasty funk. I wonder if it's the same for canning. Too much time in the can and the pepper leaches some of its otherwise subtler flavors?

But yeah, poo poo's dank IMO. Please don't feel obliged to eat the other can. Same to the others to whom I sent pepper 'dines.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Male Tears posted:

Got my cracked pepper sardines in the mail yesterday from Number 1 Sexy Dad. Good timing because I've been under the weather and some 'dines are just what I need to restore my normal shine. Thanks, Number 1 Sexy Dad!

You're welcome :)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

thathonkey posted:

:hellyeah: thanks. i am kicking myself for not discovering dines sooner they really are delicious. found myself craving a tin today so i am going to stock up next time i get the chance.

Please post a pic of the head-on sardines. I have never seen them canned like that.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Android Bicyclist posted:

Wild Planet 'dines are indeed good. I used them in my breakfast.

Cooking them over low heat while the kasha heats up.

Add eggs, watch as kasha comes to boil (15 minutes).

Top egg/sardine mix over finished kasha, eat with coffee.

That is one hevay-rear end-lookin' breakfast.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Android Bicyclist posted:

It's my post-workout breakfast. Leg day makes one hungry.

Ah, please excuse my rudity

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Wasa makes "thins" now.

I bought the sesame ones. They are very flavorful and still sturdy enough to hold some 'dines. I recommend getting some if you see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

shoophobo posted:

I too have an acorn grill and this contraption interests me. Got more details KoB?

Looks like a mini Weber and a dryer duct and some duct tape. Seems like a lot of cleanup for a couple of salmon filets.