Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Batterypowered7 posted:

Also, one can seems like too little for four eggs, or is that just me?

Two eggs AND a whole can of 'dines per serving? Have you no shame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Overwined posted:

When you're eating it with your fingers over the sink in just your tighty-whities then one of your gray chest hairs falls into the dish but you don't care and you eat it anyway, well, you're a dad. Shame is no longer in your lexicon.

Gobbling he own pubes is dad final form

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
If you ever see California Garden tripoli style Tuna

buy that poo poo. This is the most delicious fish in a can I've ever tasted. I don't care if I get mercury poisoning, I'm eating it on toast every other meal for the rest of my life.
Found it at a med/palestinian market. The other flavors are also really good but the tripoli style is like :drat:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ROFL Octopus posted:

If you don't mind, around where do you live? I'd kill to get some spicy canned fishies.

I live near Dayton OH. I got mine at a place called Yaffa Market. I wouldn't mind sending some to within the lower 48 at cost. They're maybe on the upper end of "mildly spicy" but there's more to them than heat.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

How much was it, and where was this market? I don't even buy canned tuna anymore since I got into 'dines (and because my wife hates the smell), but I'd totally try this and the smoked variety, too.

They're ~$4 per can where I buy them. IIRC, in addition to tripoli-style, they've got lemon-pepper and plain. I don't think I saw smoked, but they seem like the kind of place that would order some for you. Also, they smell pretty nice compared to starkist or whatever.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...AE,lf:1,lf_ui:9

e: and they're really little fileted up slices of nice whole tuna. probably 4-5 mm thick, slices as long as the can. two stacks of four or so per can.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Chopsticks are the perfect sardine utensil imo.

vvv lol, touché

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 20, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Tried some sherried lobster pate on toast with some greens today and that poo poo was gross. Came in a little blue can. Tasted like raw sherry mostly. Raw sherry and an indelicate shellfish flavor. I spit it out and went out for lunch instead.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

B. Birdsworth posted:

I'm just getting into 'Dines.

Is King Oscar the most elite poo poo?

No but it is a very good and consistent brand that you can find in lots of stores.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

So ASIDE from the universally-appreciated King Oscars, what other brands do you all consider your favorites, and/or "the best"?

Riga smoked sprats are my personal fav. little golden beauties.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Look Sir Droids posted:

Omgomgomgomgomg

Lol hey man I got a real life hack for you...

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
🍣 🐖👍

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I made that spam sushi tonight but had it all rolled up before I remembered the pineapple.

Rolling sushi was a lot easier than people make it sound (this was my first time). Will try again. Would have been a lot better with the pineapple.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Q_res posted:

I've always wanted to try anchovies on pizza, but I'm afraid I'll hate it and have ruined an entire pizza. What are "complimentary" toppings for 'chovies?

Other strong flavors prolly. Banana peppers, pepperoni.

I love fish and every once in a while I get a hankering for anchovy pizza. I order one and have one slice and that's more than enough. It's like having a cigar every 18 months or so. That's enough - not necessarily bad, but I don't want that again for a long time.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Look Sir Droids posted:

KO picked a recipe of the month. Fishermans Huevos Rancheros:

http://www.killingthyme.net/2017/08/23/fishermans-huevos-rancheros

Fisherman's Rancher's Eggs lol

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
What do you do with this stuff. What does it look like out of the can? What does it taste and smell like, and what is the texture?

Its supposed to be super good for you but I've never had the balls to order any.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Android Apocalypse posted:

I didn't take a pic but here's a stock image that works:

Texture is soft, kinda buttery. If you've eaten foie gras, the texture isn't that far off. I don't think it's super strong in terms of fishiness (I would put mackerel over cod liver for that).

I've been mixing it in my morning kasha/fried egg breakfast. I do use the packaging's oil to fry my eggs, which is kinda nice. That said later on in the afternoon I feel like the cod liver oil smell is emanating from my body, either from my skin or deep down from my esophagus.

Yeesh. Does it have a bunch of membranes and poo poo in it? Like do you have to take it apart or could you eat it in the dark?

Sorry for all the Qs but im very curious. I love foie gras (of course) and I don't think mackerel is too fishy.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
The flavors of the different types of KO aren't really all that different from one another, in my opinion. If you're yearning for a certain flavor you're probably better off adding it yourself than paying a premium for a can.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Except the peppercorn ones but I don't know how you guys eat those. Tastes like anesthetic.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

naem posted:

sure you can pay extra for dines packed in pee but I usually just buy plain and pee in them myself

You'll never get that deep permeating piss flavor that you find in dines packed and pasteurized in piss.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

pahuyuth posted:

I got KO Mackerel in a Taster's Kit and really liked it, enough to annoy the grocery manager by handing him the included UPC card and asked him to stock it, but alas it has not been added to the shelf.

I really like Wild Planet's Mackerel though even more than their regular 'dines. I can't really fairly compare them since I've only had KO mackerel once. Also Wild Planet White Anchovies are fantastic but I don't find them often.

Same, with the taster kit and upc card. Amazon finally has the KO mackerel in stock.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I just toss a few unopened cans on the campfire and sit facing them with my mouth open until I'm not hungry anymore

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Rough Lobster posted:

I could see myself getting into pickling poo poo because I love pickled/vinegary things and also hobbies where I do something and let mother nature do all the hard work and time and eventually I reap the benefits appeals to me. Same with brewing my own hooch which I should get into. I'm not sure I trust myself to not give people botulism though

Check out the pickling thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also, I buy Riga Gold smoked sprats at Fresh Thyme markets. If you've got one nearby, they got the 'dines.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Herr Tog posted:

Goons help. Doc says to cut back on white gluten and I usual like a good sourdough and sardine open faced half sandwich or some of those Japanese tins with fish and nori flakes. What are good substitutes that aren't just brown rice?

I like to eat sardines in endive leaves. Little crunchy scoops.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hmmm... I have tried black bread and thought it was like eating plywood. Might be worth a try with some fat deenies on top.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Went to a place in Sharonville, OH called CAM International Market. They have all kinds of strange stuff, including a wide selection of mysterious and unusual sardines. Thought I'd share some pics.

I wonder if all Riga sprats are the same, or are the Gold sprats different from other Riga sprats?
They also have a bunch of frozen and fresh fish and unusual cuts of meat. Eight-packs of frozen squab, vacuum-packed "JELLYFISH HEAD," live Tilapia, all manner of gooey island sausages, a gallon of sambal for ten bucks, a crepe stand, weeaboo snacks like pockey and an endless selection of packaged noodle meals, twenty different models of rice cooker, a huge selection of frozen steamable and fryable dumplings, etc., etc..

Every time I go there I find stuff I've never seen before. I like to share mystery snacks with my coworkers. Something from the candy aisle with no helpful english on the packaging and a nonsensical illustration usually brightens a Monday. If it turns out to be disgusting, even better. Sweetened dried squid is my least favorite so far.

I don't know what these are, but I'm sure they'll fill my office with new and interesting aromas:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

berth ell pup posted:

i almost bought a can of that Old Fisherman eel at the asian mart a couple hours ago

never had the Nuri sardines but they carry those too.

I wonder if the eel is rubbery

vvv good to know! I did grab a can of those.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 15, 2018

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

cocoavalley posted:

It's not, it's actually pretty dry, with crumbly spine bones lining most of the fillets. The sauces are all the same kind of salty/slightly sweet base, and there's just enough to coat the fish. I like to put it on rice and steamed veggies :yum:

Nice! I was put off of eel a few years ago when I got a huge portion of real chewy stuff at a restaurant. Maybe I'll give one of those cans a try some time.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
They're right next to the pickes! There was some Ukrainian pickled cauliflower in tomato sauce that I almost bought. They also had huge jars of pickled apples. Maybe next time. And no vodka there but they do have kvass and other stuff whose labels I can't read.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Eat the dang hairs

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
They should make an apron that has a kitchen sink sticking out the front of it so you can wear it when you're eating dines on the go

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Inkfish posted:

You shouldn't eat fruit bats because of all the diseases they have

I don't eat them because of the diseases, I eat them because they're delicious.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
'peño the 'dine, yo

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
There's no such thing as pooping too much

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Some canned crab is okay. The stuff that is 50 bux a pound satisfies this Maryland expat in lieu of the real deal, for crabcakes anyway.

Yeah if it's bad you will be able to tell by the smell. My money would bet it is bad.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

good electric posted:

what are y'alls recommendations for the best and smokiest wood-smoked dines

Riga gold

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Bought some endives today. I like to use them instead of crackers for 'dines when I'm on a low carb kick. Looking forward to some fish for lunch.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
That's not a sandwich, it's a salad with one crouton

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

numberoneposter posted:

This one is the money. :discourse:

You're supposed to yell "corned beef" and whisper the "with juices" part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

numberoneposter posted:

gotta remember the holy can of sardinia is already cooked so any heat you add should be only for warming and to get the maillard reaction going

you bout to get hated on brother. it is impossible to convince these beasts that the fish are already cooked.