Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

I want to be that old man when I am old enough to give no fucks. Though of course, I'll have failed if I am ever the ancestor of such a pathetic manchild as the one behind the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

a starwar betamax posted:

what is the best dine to eat for breakfast

I had some bristlings in olive oil on a croissant with a glass of apple juice, that was pretty dope breakfast.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

numberoneposter posted:

people who identify as dads

Transdad, if you will

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I had some of the Polar kippers number 1 sexy dad sent me this morning. Alongside some dry toast and scrambled eggs, it was a fine breakfast. Even my parents' rear end in a top hat little dog got to enjoy the juices from the can poured on his stupid little dog food.

Kippers are basically like bacon except not going to kill me as bad, right? Right?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I like Bar Harbor's kippers best.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I made this sardine recipe for dinner tonight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTkVFNptRo

I had to butterfly the fresh sardines myself after the fishmonger refused (stating it was impossible to do, the jerk) but it came out pretty well.

Finish it under the broiler for a couple minutes and you've got a nice dish. Also, I now have fish hands. I smell like a gynecologist.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

Butterfly a dine damson that some fish surgery

To be fair, they're the bigger grilling variety.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

When I want to buy Chinese foodstuffs I will go through the poo poo on the shelf until I can at least find something made in Taiwan. Would never eat a Chinese food product if there was another option. The reason is I lived in China for a while.

We need to stop posting in the same threads it is decreasing the amount of things I can post without being repetitious.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Had some Angelo Parodis for dinner yesterday. Two huge beautiful sides of sardine. Very firm, pleasant flesh. Taste was fairly solid, too.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Had some KO sardines with jalapenos over a bed of my favorite new crop japanese rice (kokuho rose) the other day. Good stuff. Nice blend of heat and vinegar. It made of the rice leftover a tasty finish to a nice main part of the meal.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Ate my last can of sexy dad's jalapeño KOs. Hot drat were they good. Gonna drive down to the US with a similarly now addicted friend and buy a case :getin:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

"Reason for visiting the US, sir?"

"Lower prices on a particular brand of canned fish."

"Alright, pull through."

Even with the exchange rate, it's better than paying amazon for it.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

withak posted:

Rice cookers don't have settings.

A lot of the new ones do. Some even have vegetable, soup and meat settings.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I tried the can of KO kippers. Got to say, they're not as nice as the polars, or (shocker!) brunswicks. The texture was great, but I found the flavor to be too watery. Still a nice accompaniment to breakfast toast and eggs.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Make a toasted kipper or sardine sandwich and eat it with some dill pickle chips. You won't regret it.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

You might have a clause in your lease telling you not to put food and oil down the kitchen sink like an infant, right next to the clause about not flushing condoms down the toilet.

I think there's a difference between half a teaspoon of oil from a sardine can (or the remnants of oil from a cooking pan) compared to what these clauses usually exist for (people who deep fat fry regularly and use lard in their cooking -like the british).

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

numberoneposter posted:

These fuckers are horrible!

I felt worse than Mad Max eating a can of Dinki-Di dog food.

Strange, I'd have expected a can with perfect French in the logo to be better.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
So I made Fisherman's Eggs for the first time since the great 375 vs. 500 degree debate. And, well, at 500 degrees there really is no contest. The sardines ended up crispy-fried in their own oil and the egg cooked perfectly with a nice runny yolk. For those of you who have some, I recommend mixing in a dash of black chinese vinegar to the cooked dines (before you add the eggs) -it adds a tangy juicy taste to the whole dish.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

The Snoo posted:

What's the difference between these:

(which I'm excited to eat tbh) and the ones in a red wrapping? Besides being twice the price of the regular tins at the grocery store?? I'm stupid

The ones on amazon are all insanely marked up. It's a way to both encourage retail sales and gouge everyone else.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

I've become a pretty big fan of these. Yes, it's canned tuna. But it's also a pretty aromatic and flavorful can of fish with all the spices and herbs to add to pasta when you are in such a hurry you cannot prepare the entire dish yourself.

Add a bit of your own anchovy paste and you're sitting pretty with a decent puttanesca.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Forgive me, friends.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Kilo147 posted:

Well, poo poo. Didn't have my tablet with me, ended up at the store and bought Crown Prince instead of King Oscar. And in water. That's what I get for not writing this poo poo down. Should I just exchange them? They're unopened

When you make a mistake, you plow on forward and make as if that was your plan all along. Even if it sucks, you say it was a great decision and everything is fine. Your pride is on the line, here.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Yesterday marked Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Lenten season for catholics. Traditionally a time of fasting and self-sacrifice, in contemporary times it is mostly still around in the form of giving up a thing that is loved. This year, I'm going totally sober, and meat avoiding (whenever I am in charge of my own cooking). For a person like myself, of modest means, between jobs and in a snowy land, this means 'dines.

Remember: Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes, so a sardine sandwich is a good choice.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

AEMINAL posted:

i thought all dads gave birth tto their sons
Like the barbarians from Oglaf. It checks out.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Le matin, c'est difficile se lever. Mais il y a toujours du temps pour mes sardines.

Une canne de sardines brunswick à la moutarde. Un beau croissant de la veille.

Ouvrez les deux.

Mangez ça, mes petits pères, et vivez bien.

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 29, 2016

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I was trying to bring a bit of foreign (to 'mericans) dad style in recognition of the origins of the bread featured in my posts.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Sizone posted:

despite the commonly used term for it, la croissant is of Austrian origins. you should be flavoring your text in kraut
Yeah, there's a reason we call them Viennoiseries (things of Vienna) but :ssh: we will never concede this.

Also we just made it through like 6 pages of picklechat, last thing we need is more kraut.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
My dad would make this thing called "Egg-and-bread-and-cheese" that was essentially a thin omelette onto which a slice of american cheese was placed and then bread to cover that. You flip it over and the bread gets all cheesy and fries a bit in the butter from the omelette.

Good use of an egg.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I bought some phò broth cubes at the market. Think I'll cook up a soup and toss some greens and 'dines in it with some soba noodles. Any variations to recommend?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I went to the market today. Fishmonger was out of sardines - "Not before april", she said -so I bought half a pound of smelts for about 4$. Hot drat do smelts fry up nice. just put em in breadcrumb or flour and pan fry em real fast in a heavy cast iron pan and, well, speaks for itself, don't it?

edit: afore anyone says anything: my kitchen is a horrible mess because of reasons, among which poverty ranks highly.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

DiggityDoink posted:

Hey Sheep, I just found a problem with your 500 deg recipe. My oven takes forever to get to temperature and while i'm waiting, my cattes are trying to eat the dine mixture.

I had planned on being a bro and hooking up the cattes with some of the ends of my meal but they're already horking at it and that poo poo isn't cool.

That's why God invented bathrooms as temporary cat storage.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I found Riga Sprats at the store. Look forward to discovering this fishy delightful.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Trip report:

RIGA SPRATS ARE AMAZING.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I ordered a pizza and put my own damned anchovies on it. Now that's a salty treat.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Overwined posted:

Sweetbreads.

If you're lucky, and live in a heavily anglo area, sweetbreads can usually be bought for cheap from a reputable butcher. Make em yourself with a nice mustard or cream sauce.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
My roommate came home late last night and was hungry. He asks me if he can have the can of kippers I previlusly offered him. "Sure" I says, "Why don't you have them with that nice fresh baguette I bought". Soon he will be one of us. He will love the 'dine.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I could see a bit of 'chovy paste in a devilled egg mixture though.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Some of you may remember that Number 1 Sexy Dad mailed me a bunch of King Oscars and other fine sardine treats a few months ago. It is now time for me to return the kindness in the only way I can:

BY MAILING THE FIRST REQUESTER SOME STRANGE FRENCH CAN FISHES! That's right, I'll mail the first taker on this offer whatever weird Canadia-land French fishes I can find. I'll PM the first taker.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Shithead Deluxe posted:

Has no one taken you up on this yet? I'd love some strange french can fishes, please.

Check your pms, buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Skulduggery posted:

Millionaires are pretty dec dines even though they're like 3 Canadian dollarydoos a tin.

I avoid millionaires because some of them are packed in china.