Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought these shits after stumbling upon the last 'dine thread:

As you can clearly see, I still haven't opened them. Judging from this thread, I made 2 rookie mistakes in buying cheap 'dines and also getting them in water. I don't remember there being much selection. Anyway, I'm not really into fish, but these drat threads make them sound so appealing. I have had and enjoyed the smoked oysters (on crackers w/ hot sauce), and our family friends brought some salmon from their annual trip to Alaska this last summer and smoked it and it tasted like delicious fish candy, which is not something you would expect someone who doesn't like fish much to ever say but that's the best way I can describe it. So good. So with that in mind, recommend me a good quality 'dine, 'dine thread. Obviously I'll go for something if it's smoked, but if the fishyness isn't super pronounced I think I can handle it. I would be willing to order a tin online if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Male Tears posted:

Feed these to a cat; don't even try eating them or they'll ruin sardines for you.

Good call, I've had a bad feeling about them even though they are still good for another 9 months. I'll try to locate some fancier looking ones for myself, and give these to our cats.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hmmm, skinless and smoked?! This seems like it might be the perfect jumping off point for my 'dine dining experience. I wouldn't say the bones freak me out too much, but I don't like the skin on larger fish.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can also get them packed in maple syrup apparently

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know, something about the fact that I can catch a fish, scale it and continue to scrape the skin with a knife for 30 minutes and it still produces slime is very off putting. I love chicken skin but fish skin turns me into a huge nancy

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just fed my cats those horrible water soaked bumblebee 'dines. 2 out of 3 of them didn't even want anything to do with them, and now my house fuckin reeks.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nooner posted:

Had some 'dines in harissa sauce from trader Joe's today and holy cow you all need to try these.

drat, I was there today and completely overlooked those somehow. I did pick up a tin of the lightly smoked in olive oil variety. Hopefully gonna post my virgin dine report tomorrow, though I am still considering ordering the smoked skinless fillets from 2 pages ago before I try these to ease myself into it.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright dine thread, I finally decided to stop being a giant pussy and cracked open that tin of Trader Joes lightly smoked dines. First impression was that the fish were a lot larger than I expected, there were three fairly large fish where I always imagined the can to be packed with a bunch of bite size fishes. They were a little fisher and a little bit less smokier than I had originally hoped for, but once I got past my initial squeamishness I realized that I was really enjoying them. My wife and I annihilated the tin of dines, and then polished off a can of smoked oysters afterward, which tasted super smoky in comparison. Can't wait to try some Mediterranean and jalapeņo variety King Oscars, but the ones I got at Trader Joes were $1.50 which is less than half what the KOs cost, so I'll definitely be back for more of those as well. 10/10 would dine again. I've got a 5 week old baby and I feel like my dad card has officially been stamped.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oven preheating to five hundred degrees Fahrenheit...

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was I supposed to dump the whole can, oil and all, into the hot baking dish? Because god drat that poo poo was popping like a motherfucker

E broke all 4 yolks, guddamn I suck at cooking :saddowns:

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 30, 2015

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I should've said exploding rather than popping. A piece of fish shot into my eyeball when I opened it up to add the eggs. Overall the dish isn't bad, but I don't think I would make it for breakfast. Would probably have it again for lunch or dinner when I'm alone, though. And it is very filling, I haven't eaten all day and I'm slowing down after having eaten just over half of it. I also just found a good segment of spine (didn't even notice it with the crackers yesterday) and crunched it up between my front teeth and I actually really enjoy the texture

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I forgot to mention that I bought the King O's this time and nabbed one off the top before I dumped them in the baking dish. Could just be that I'm a deen rookie, but I didn't think it tasted any better than the ones from Trader Joes. Usually, with trout at least, the smaller fishes taste better, but I probably couldn't tell the difference here unless I did a side-by-side taste test. For the price, I'll definitely be stocking up at Joes. The KOs cost more than twice as much.

e also I wanna nibble dat spine in the 6th picture, I might like the bones more than I like the deen

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean hot sauce doesn't seem that unreasonable, hot sauce is good on fuckin everything and some of them come packed in hot sauce

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
White onion?!

:frogout:

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I shared my first tin of deens with my wife and now she is begging me for the D(een) on a daily basis.

Mom food too?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't be sorry, friend. You ever been with a high maintenance bitch? I married this lady for a reason

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
The bones are the loving best part, your only option is sever imo

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eat them

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
The bones I mean

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Smoked salmon rules but is pricey as all hell if it's remotely fresh. I haven't tried any canned variety but the honey smoked salmon they sell at the store near the fresh fish is about $10-15 for maybe like a 6 oz cut? I don't remember the exact pricing but now that I'm talking about it I'm definitely going to pick up a piece tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a good canned variety for me to try while I'm at it?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

VendaGoat posted:

Tossed them on a piece of wheat bread, microwaved for 30 seconds, put some chipotle chulula hot sauce on them and ate them up with a fork.

I've been eating them with Tapatio, I feel like I could probably be doing better in the hot sauce department. Also how did bread in the microwave for that long not turn into a kitchen sponge?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thump! posted:

But the slimy skin is the best part :confused:

False

The bones are the best

Picked up some TJ harissa deen today, gonna eat them and watch footbawww tomorrow. Dad life

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also deen burps all day

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Give me them bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007