Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

marauderthirty posted:

I bought these shits after stumbling upon the last 'dine thread:

As you can clearly see, I still haven't opened them. Judging from this thread, I made 2 rookie mistakes in buying cheap 'dines and also getting them in water. I don't remember there being much selection. Anyway, I'm not really into fish, but these drat threads make them sound so appealing. I have had and enjoyed the smoked oysters (on crackers w/ hot sauce), and our family friends brought some salmon from their annual trip to Alaska this last summer and smoked it and it tasted like delicious fish candy, which is not something you would expect someone who doesn't like fish much to ever say but that's the best way I can describe it. So good. So with that in mind, recommend me a good quality 'dine, 'dine thread. Obviously I'll go for something if it's smoked, but if the fishyness isn't super pronounced I think I can handle it. I would be willing to order a tin online if necessary.

Those 'dines rank pretty high on the 'worst things I've ever eaten' list. Their mustard ones are tolerable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

These are p much my favorite but they're just so expensive on amazon.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Brunswick you can find anywhere and are actually good, Polar is a bit better, and Appel are amazing but so rich that it can be hard to finish because they're in oil vs water like most others. Their defining traits are smoke, salt and large fillets.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I love their black label reserve version, it's really unique compared to other habanero sauces I have because of tons of smokey roasted flavor and I use it on everything. That plus green tabasco, melindas, and chile lime cholula round out my most used list.

https://www.amazon.com/El-Yucateco-Black-Label-Reserve/dp/B00OV4VVD6

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 15, 2017

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I don't brillo my pan but scrubbing it with kosher salt and a paper towel when it's still hot works well and most importantly looks cool.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I made fisherman's eggs for the first time last weekend because with the warm weather I could finally afford to stink up the house since I could open windows and it was delicious. I did add a little lime juice and balsamic vinegar to cut the oil a bit after tasting the uncooked mash but I think it really ended up well. I had the leftovers today and it was still A++ would try again. My 6yo daughter also ate some and said 'it tastes better than it looks and smells' which is p accurate.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Had Tapatio KOs for the first time today. They're amazing and the best of the sauced dines so I ordered a case on amazon plus tiny tots, mustard KOs and a couple jars of Riga sprats since they seem incredibly convenient. If you like hot sauce on dines at all then just get a shitload of the tapatio ones because wow they're good. Hot and vinegar-y.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Hello dines thread. I was just organizing the pantry and it turns out I have 10 cases of KOs and 4 cases of Polar kippers. I had them on Amazon's subscription with some other stuff to get the 15% off and I guess I wasn't eating them as fast as I thought.

My daughter eats the kippers and tiny tots though so I'll have an assistant.

Most importantly, I picked up an offset smoker on black friday for 50% off and it's already paid for itself in smoked meats. Smoked salmon is particularly easy and turned out amazing so I highly recommend giving it a try if you're remotely interested. I started with a 3lb salmon side but this week I'm going to fill the thing up and smoke like 5+ pounds this week of salmon and trout.
:getin:

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 4, 2020

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Active stash:

This is what happens when you use Amazon's subscribe and save without really checking how the food stash is doing. "Who knows how bad Covid might get, no need to be stingy about non-perishables"

Mostly Tiny Tots with a few other flavors mixed in and an assload of Polar kippers.

Working on some tots with rice and lentils with harissa at the moment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
The tapatio ones are legit spicy with a ton of hot sauce but I only use them for mashing into rice and lentils as flavoring with a protein boost. They also have jalapeno dines which I think are a lot more balanced with the flavor infusing with the oil nicely.