Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Okay a couple weeks late, but hey, glad there's a new 'dine thread to post these in. While I was in China I got the urge for sardines so I went to the store to look for some. These are all I could find.

http://imgur.com/a/mJ589

Grody, huge, boney. And yet they still tasted okay. They were two different kinds; the slimmer kind was a little better and easier to manage/debone. I ate the ribs but removed the spines. Adding some chinese chili powder helped considerably.

All in all I am glad to be back in the land of easily available KO royal dines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I was at the Christmas party for my old job yesterday. It was at the bowling alley like we do every year. Top three high scores got a gift card. I got second place; 25 bucks at the local grocery chain. 25 dollars worth of dines here i come

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

, along with some really fancy looking Bar Harbor sardines, which I am told are the Johnnie Walker Blacks of the canned fish world.

post the pics

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
look who stocked up, dad thread

pretty stoked about the spanish style and the bar harbor

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

these are hella good everyone, way better than the jalapeno packed ones. not hot sauce needed. get em

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I am disappointed in the taste of wild planet dines. Good size and texture but something seemed off. :/

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Myron Baloney posted:

I'll have to try those again soon, I used to really like them maybe something has changed.

Just had KO boneless/skinless "Spanish style" with chiles for breakfast, I didn't see they were boneless when I bought them. Pretty tasty though, 4 big fish, very firm and meaty, just the right amount of chile heat in the olive oil. Mild enough that I could give some to the dogs and not feel bad. I was still hungry but didn't have another can of the same style and switching to Riga sprats didn't sound good.

I really liked the spanish style. I hope they come put with a regular non-boneless version.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Holy gently caress bar harbor is the motherlode

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Anybody done any cheapo dine shopping at Aldi's? I've never been in one but I'm thinking of starting to do my grocery shopping there to save money.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
I also won top prize in the haiku contest! I get the feeling a ton of people did, but here was my winning entry:

I won a gift card
At a work Christmas party
Gonna buy some 'dines

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

deadwing posted:

KO apron is a strong option tho

tonights dinner: one hot pocket, one can of oscars in olive oil with wheat thins as mouth delivery service

I went with the apron. Although my next apron if I can find one is probably gonna be

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
^^ they actually act pretty adorable and so usually at least get a small piece

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

You know who else eats sardines out of the can? That's right, THE PUNISHER

perhaps not the most ringing endorsement

edit: further evidence

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 23, 2016

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Boneless skinless sardines pretty much all suck, just get tuna in oil if you just want "pure fish"

wrong

i make my sardicado sandwiches with bonelessskinless a lot

spanish style KO in particular > regular jalapeno KO

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Do you think the bones are icky or something

not at all BIG DICK BUTT gently caress, i just like the flavor of the spanish style, they're pretty dang great

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

FREE DINES

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I like to use lightly toasted white bread, usually cheap. I think that gives me extra dad cred, at least on the American side.

(As an aside, finding white bread that isn't like goddamn angel food cake has become a chore. Looking for grams of sugar per slice has become my rule of thumb, and finding white bread with fewer than 2g of sugar per slice takes some searching. My local Rite Aid has loving Hostess brand bread, which has at least 3g of sugar per slice. I have a certain morbid curiosity about it, and toy with the idea of wasting the money on a loaf just to find out what a sickly-sweet abomination it is.)

I went looking for hot dog buns the other day and couldn't find a single brand(or off-brand) that didn't have HFCS in it. It's pretty aggravating.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
^^undadly

So the non-dine dad food thread disappeared... but I have a dad food question. I think garlic qualifies as extremely dadly, as it is delicious and makes your breath smell horrible. I watched the episode of Bob's Burgers where he makes a 'black garlic' burger and I have a hankerin' to give this black garlic stuff a try, if I could find it in a store. Is it actually really dope or is it just a gimmick?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
So 'dines in tomato sauce is IMO pretty lowbrow but I think that's what this thread is kind of about. California Girl brand makes a large can with some bigass dines in tomato sauce and lemme tell you they are real good eatin, particularly roadside with some crackers halfway across the country. I am thinking about using two cans to make a pizza with some good cheese.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

pahuyuth posted:

"California Girl" does sound pretty lowbrow. Are you a Dad? Did you have any idiot kids screaming "how much farther"? I once ate a tin of 'dines on the shoulder of a major interstate in the loving US desert wasteland while waiting for AAA to show up and fix some poo poo with my 5 goddamn hellspawn screaming at me. Wife was drinking wine. She has her escape, I have mine :coolfish:

I am not, but I remember being one of four hellspawn, complaining vehemently I'm sure, when the ol vista cruiser broke down yet again on another family trip to the beach or wherever. I inherited many dadly qualities, but I don't think I'll ever pass them on.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
if we're rehashing recipes, it's a good thing ~~*my girlfriend*~~ asked me to make alton brown's sardicado sandwiches at half past midnight, because she is a good woman with good taste

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
It calls for sherry vinegar; usually I use cider vinegar since it's cheaper but this time I got some red wine vinegar. You don't need much so the bottle lasts a long time. Also IMO zesting the lemon is a must.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Renegret posted:

my girlfriend, on the other hand, is a terrible cook, so together we're going to have a hard time not starving to death

fortunately you can just eat the dang dines out of the can

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If you go camping without bringing a half dozen tins of various dines, kippers, and smoked oysters, then brother, I don't know how to fix what's wrong with you.

I would love to eat outdoor dines but that's a lot of stinky oily cans I have to pack out. Plus that sounds like an invitation for a curious bear to come sniffing around.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
What about frying canned dines? Or is that just gonna stank up my apartment?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Beach Cliff mustard sauce dines is better than I thought. Hot sauce still reigns supreme tho for cheap dines

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Went on a climbing adventure in Wyoming over Labor Day weekend and I brought myself a delicious Baltic treat to the crag.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Lathespin.gif posted:

Work til midnite, get home, mostly empty fridge. This calls for a fuckin' sandwich

KO mediterranean 'dines, avocado, cream cheese, dab of mayo and some good hot sauce, sweat some red onion, toast some sourdough in the oniony/buttery pan after

gently caress yeah, next time I think some garlic too for the bad breath trifecta

doing this monday after i check out a local bakery that i was previously unaware of

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Made a sardizza tonight with Riga sprats. I don't think shredded smoked gouda was the right choice, but I was following someone else's advice. I think it could use something bright and citrusy, so I was actually thinking pineapple would pretty good. I'll probably end up doing that later this week and if it works I might have the ultimate pizza sensibility offender.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
eat them. with a fork. but also on crackers with hot sauce. and on toast. and in a salad. just put them inside you. the kipper snacks are loving great

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Coworker that works in the shipping department told me he gets unsolicited 'dine chat from one of the UPS guys, up to the point where he got a free tin of Season brand 'dines that he re-gifted to me. Which one of yall is a UPS driver

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
oilchat, just mix the can oil with red wine vinegar and drizzle over your greens and such. my goto is spinach, cherry tomatoes, and either feta or goat cheese. so god drat good

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

Wish I could do goat cheese and blue cheese. I know I’m missing out but my brain and tastebuds say “This is rotten - do not eat this”

you get that from nice smooth creamy(or crumbled but still creamy) chevre? drat dude

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
As the world turns I am coming back to my sardine craving. Google says World Market carries Nuri, so next time I have some other reason to be in Boulder I will pick some up and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Nuri dines confirmed really god drat good. The spicy tomato sauce is fuckin amazing.

Picked them up at World Market so if you have one in your area go check em out.