Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Goddamnit, I missed ground floor of the sardine thread.

Just got a smoker for my birthday. How are smoked 'dines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Ork of Fiction posted:

One way to describe
The unsaturated fats
Snake sucks they own dick

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

kazr posted:

light yourself on fire if you don't like them it's your own personal failing

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Android Bicyclist posted:

Those sardines look weird. Where are the bones?

Not a sardine. Mom says it's called galungong. Smells like mackerel.

It's a mackrel scad so you're basically correct.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
i know it's not sardines but i figured the thread might like it anyway cause its delicious fishyness

made two of those fuckers today and they're delicious

smoked salmon btw

look at dat oily goodness just glistening on there

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

My dad's wife looked at my Facebook page and saw that I'd liked King Oscars page.

Scored tonight!

Pro Stepmom

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Nooner posted:

There was some left over lutefisk and I tried to feed it to my parents cats and they were having none of it. One smelled it and turned around and just walked away, the other licked it once and looked up at me like "Wtf you gave me good rear end salmon yesterday you traitor" and then hosed off to the garage presumably to eat as much kitty food it could to get taste out if it's mouth

A smart catte. Lutefisk is loving foul.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

If you love the 'dines, do your part to reduce global warming.

Dinner was unsatisfactory, so later I had some Brunswicks packed in water on top of dollar store saltines. Eaten over a sink. The Brunswicks were firm & large (4 total fillets in the can). Kinda fishy but I love that.

I'm not sober enough to read that whole link but I thought 'dines were basically cool to eat since they're low-ish on the food chain. Or is that what it's saying?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Also, Fisherman's Eggs is just Shirred Eggs with fish instead of pork of some sort.

Imma sit on the fence here too and say that both 350 and 500 both work and the only real difference is how long that poo poo sits in the oven. This isnt bread or nothin where the temp really matters.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sizone posted:

Yeah, don't loving worry about it. Is, like, 1/20th a percentage difference in protein by volume going to make that big of a difference in your quest to get swole? If you want dines with a lower fat content then you need to get ones that aren't packed in a fat medium, ie. water, which are gross. Dines are good for you, don't waste your precious dine granted mental energy in trying to min/max the fuckers.

The only min/max you should be doing with dines is how many per mouthful.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

King of Bees posted:

Bela dines with Tom sauce.

Hmmm. Dines were ok. I had to deck it out with mustard and hot sauce. Sauce was too sweet. Three dines in the tins. Bigger fan of the KO two rows of little guys.

KO tiny tots seem to be the winner for overall 'dine.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Hello to you too, forums user a real jerk

Feel free to grab a tin from the shelf at Seafood King in Sacramento, CA.

Wait, what. I live here and I didn't know about this glorious place of 'dines?!!? Shopping trip tomorrow it seems.

e; Mostly cause Seafood King on google doesn't give me poo poo, where the gently caress is this place and what's its real name?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Whoops. Seafood City
6051 Mack Rd, Sacramento, CA 95823

:tipshat:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
King Oscar is the standard here fellow dads.

If you're spending less than what one of those would cost, you're buying bad 'dines and are probably gonna have a bad time.

Less than that is deadbeat dad and/or cat food.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

AEMINAL posted:

always use dijon

chinese mustard is pretty pro for dines too

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
just had myself a can of tiny tots on cracked pepper triscuits while i making salmon jerky/candy from this recipe here
http://honest-food.net/2013/07/15/salmon-candy-recipe/

i was hungry for fishy goodness when i smelt the salmon's delicious wafting on the smoker and just couldnt resist the king's calling

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
not sardines but if you wanna be a pro dad, get a smoker. smoking your own meat is definitely near the top when it comes to dadliness

you get to drink beer and slowly watch something turn into the best food you'll ever eat

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

pr0k posted:

I cure and smoke my own bacon. Once you try it you will be unable to go back to that poo poo at the grocery store.

I haven't made my own bacon yet but I haven't bought bacon that wasn't from a good deli in years though. It's definitely up on my list of things to make. I just found out a friend has access to the local restaurant only supply place and am making a list of meat I'm gonna buy there, pork belly is #1.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

King of Bees posted:

Made a KO 'chovy dad-only personal pizza with onions, peps and onions for dins tonight. Trip report: Delicious.

Bad phone pic.

E. Adding the KO "cross pack" I mentioned a few pages back. Look at that fish count! Will post when I open these bad boys. Expecting the littlest of dines.

Anchovy and pepperoni is possibly the best pizza combo there is. Lil salty umami bombs in every bite.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Burp them into your supervisors face. Everybody wins!

I ate a can of dines right before I had a wisdom tooth pulled at the dentist.

Serves that fucker right for messing my jaw up for the next few weeks.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

If eat that with you while making gross eye contact to your beshamed hubbo

dine cucking

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I should like to become an IRL dad, do you think 'dines will make me more fertile?

Maybe not more fertile but the ladies will be able to tell you eat 'dines and they'll be all up on you.

Some may soon walk the other way due to fish breath, but the one's that stay will be worth it.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
just had a pizza with 'chovies, pepperoni and olives. was delicious 5/5 would eat again

fake edit: going for seconds now

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

This thread is great and full of wonderfully dadly things. The recent pickle/kimchi talk makes me happy. However, have you heard about the good word of liptauer?

What is liptauer you ask? It is a wonderful dadly concoction of cheese and magical spices, utterly perfect to go with black breads, pretzels, etc. There are recipes out there to make your own, but I will stand by my opinion that the liptauer that Zingerman's makes is the best stuff on earth. Also, if you don't know what Zingerman's is you obviously aren't from the great lakes and I feel sorry for you.

The Lawson recipe you linked didn't really pique my interest but the Zingerman's one sounds loving delicious. Might have to make my own version of that.

e; the wiki link lead to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obatzda too which is similar but with a cheese like Camembert.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 23, 2016

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Stopped off at the local Asian market today to get some good soy and fish sauce and saw these lil bastards.

Oh sweet christ they were disgusting. They weren't crispy like advertised, more like stale pretzel and they didn't remotely taste at all like a canned anchovy. They had a kind of sweet yet metallic taste.

I washed the taste away with some delicious dried and smoked squid though.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Oh lord, are those even meant to be snacked on or are they meant for sauces/cooking?

They were in the snack section so I figured they were meant to be. Afterwards I'm not sure, but the can is in the garbage now.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Dude you don't just eat them you mix those with other snack type stuff then eat it. Like you roast and salt some peanuts then fry up some chiles and kaffir lime leaf and put that on there and then scatter some little fishes on there and then eat it. Only like a 70 year old Asian widower wearing a sarong in a rice field staring at a water buffalo would eat those unmixed.

They would have been just as disgusting in a snack mix as they were by themselves. It was a $2 crapshoot at the Asian market. I'm not worried

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Bipolar Transistor posted:

If you want to snack on sardines, just get some "Shrimp" crackers you weirdo.

I got some shrimp seaweed chips too. They're pretty fuckin tasty.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
But bluegrass is infinitely better than jam bands.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I'm not bothering to find the other dad thread cause this is the only dad thread in my heart.

I just got a charcoal grill today after having nothing but a lovely gas grill forever. Goddamn I love it already. I can get it seriously loving hot for once so my steaks come out nice and charred on the outside while rare-ish in the middle.

Had a perfect t-bone with brussel sprouts and herb-roasted taters tonight.

No dines with it, but I did buy a pack of KOs at the store I'll probably eat over the sink tonight while naked tonight cause my roommate is outta town.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Get a little bag of wood chips and soak them and toss them on the grill right before you cook on there brand new charcoal buddy. They sell em right there next to the charcoal.

I like apple wood usually

I have a whole pile of chips from the electric smoker I got for x-mas. Thanks for the good idea though.

What's some good dad ideas for the smoker btw? I've smoked salmon and ribs a bunch of times and if I could find whole 'dines I'd obviously do that.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

withak posted:

Can a charcoal grill even get to 500deg?

You're doing it wrong if your charcoal grill cant get to 500. I got mine to at least 600 earlier and it didn't stay closed long enough to keep going. 500 is what I expect out of a lovely gas grill.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

AEMINAL posted:

does anyone know when sardine season is? i live in northern europe if it helps

wanna bread and fry some fresh 'dines and dip them in poo poo.

Armchair Scientist Moment Here (Probably Totally Wrong)

Dines being a feeder fish, probably show up around March-May for northern climates. They probably hang out for 3 or so months before loving off towards the southern side.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Hey Sheep, I just found a problem with your 500 deg recipe. My oven takes forever to get to temperature and while i'm waiting, my cattes are trying to eat the dine mixture.

I had planned on being a bro and hooking up the cattes with some of the ends of my meal but they're already horking at it and that poo poo isn't cool.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

I ordered a pizza and put my own damned anchovies on it. Now that's a salty treat.

They never put enough on at the pizza place anyway so this is a good idea.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Still catching up in the thread but tonight's dinner is Wild Planet sardines in olive oil doused in tabasco sauce, carrots and hummus, cheddar cheese, and some crackers. Good times.

the 3rd dong is for the love of dines right?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've never heard of not being able to use cast iron on glass stove tops and Lodge says that it's fine. https://www.facebook.com/LodgeCastI...52629728755496/

Yeah I have a flat glass top stove and I use my cast iron on it all the time. Just gotta be careful not to drop it on there or something.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Planet X posted:

Anson Mills sells boutique grits and grains

Gonna split an order with my pal

Anson Mills is basically the best American cornmeal you can get, they use heritage corn for their poo poo.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
My supermarket finally got Tapatio King Oscar sardines. I gotta say, the hot sauce completely blows out the 'dine flavor. I'll stick with the mustard or just oil sardines from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

Yeah Tapatio is what I put on food when I don't want to taste the food. If that makes sense. It's a great hot sauce and it serves it's purpose, but that's what it's purpose is. It's not the hotness that overpowers either, it's the flavor itself.

I'm still a mustard man too.

I like hot sauce on all sorts of poo poo but these tasted like nothing but hot sauce. I had like 1/4 the tin before I chucked them down the garbage disposal. It was like shotgunning a bottle of Tapatio.