Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I gotta say that I love sardines, bones and all, but there's little I find more insulting than the new restaurant trend of cracking a tin of fish, charring bread slices and slopping it with a lemon wedge and a pile of salt onto an old cutting board. And charging :20bux: for it.

Also from this thread's recommendation I ordered September's deal from tincanfish and I'll post a stash shot when it arrives tomorrow:

https://tincanfish.com/products/septembers-catch-of-the-month-fall-flavors-colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
As promised my stash shot, with bonus hot sauce:

I use Seasons for cooking stews and soups etc, and the rest are essentially sink dines. I just discovered the only European specialty store in town (Cyrillic flavored countries only lol) and picked up all the Latvian sprats and matje, so I haven't tried those yet.

Luckily pre-plague I got to travel to Lisbon and (among other awesome things) visit the Conserveira and tinned fish museum:

That's from Atlas Obscura as I lost all my photos (and ate all the fish that I filled my bag with returning home) but it's amazing as a shop. The "museum" portion is just a couple old pieces of canning equipment and a photo gallery, but it's free and they have samples sometimes

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That box art on the left is baller af.

Trip Report!

This was my most anticipated from the tinfish September package, and overall a slight disappointment -- expectations were high. I opened the tin to this:

Just brimming with oil. Now you may be asking yourself "Why it's spicy oil, the very thing you would be excited about!" But friends it is not spicy. It's like if somebody left some black pepper in olive oil. That said it does have some building piperine heat but it needed hot sauce to make it go.

You can also see the fish is kinda just tossed around and looks rugged, but the flesh was nice and super oily. Very obvious spines (which I love), but overall less fish than oil by volume I'd say.

The most exciting part for me was the pickles, which I had little idea what to expect of. The tin includes one (1) wavy-cut carrot, one (1) wavy-cut cuke, and a lil chunk of chili pepper. None of them had much texture (as you would expect from a vegetable cooked at least three times), but there was a slight tang that would have been a bright spot if I was eating them without hot sauce.

I made a little smorgasbord with pistachios, seed crackers and a little piece of cheddar and made for a good snack.

Overall I would give my experience 4 (and the tin itself 3) out of five dines.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's an awesome gift idea. Unfortunately I'm the only one in my life who'd appreciate it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Nope just cocaine tincture and red food coloring, sorry

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Okay what's the fish that tastes the most like seafood to you then?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's weight, not mass, and each peppercorn is filled with helium. Eazy peazy walla

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ooh cherry peppers are a good idea

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think you might be mistaken as this thread has always been dadly serious

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Porthos are extremely good fish quality. They have this freshness that I associate with actual non-tinned seafood

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Last week I made a Russian New Years feast for myself and some friends. There were a couple tins of sardines but also homemade mackerel escabeche, marinated anchovies, twelve kinds of pickles, two kinds of caviar, golubtsi (stuffed cabbage), smoked salmon devilled eggs, Olivier salad and kholodets (pork trotters jelly). All these count as dad foods in my mind and belong in this thread:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol that's the whole dining room table right in the kitchen, and my perch for the night was indeed over the sink. Pickles were all quick-pickled:

Fennel and radishes with pink peppercorns and red wine vinegar

"BBQ" themed cucumber pickles with garlic, cumin seed, ketchup, apple cider vinegar

Szechuan green beans with sesame oil, ginger, garlic and rice wine vinegar

Masala cabbage with cardamom, turmeric, cumin, a million other spices

White anchovies marinated in the fennel/radish liquid with olive oil

Traditional kosher style dills with fennel, juniper berry and celery seed

And somebody else brought marinated mushrooms and pickled asparagus.

The bread was challah and "Russian black bread" from Whole Foods. The black bread was a rye with poppy seeds and both were infinitely better than if I'd tried to make them myself

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm so excited for leftover pickles and sardines when I'm off work tonight

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
С наступившим Новым Голом!

Wouldn't be dadly if there wasn't beer. Also extra points for being able to keep it on the back porch for the perfect blue-mountain temperature

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In my experience you're right on track because it just gets you a hot can of sardines. Restaurants have been just popping a tin and broiling it for a minute for years now. You always get a little pile of salt, some lemon wedges, "charred bread" and usually a smear of butter. And it's always like $16 for a single tin. Waste of money!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
They're not great but of course they're worth getting. Mustard are best from them imo, unless the sale includes Kipper Snacks in which case you're in for a treat

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Water packed fish is bad news mang

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Gar are a nightmare to clean, and canning is a great idea to fix them. Tastes a lot like sturgeon. It doesn't strike me as a "luxury" fish item though?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Thus adding the oil in post facto

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I love sardines as much as anyone here but something about sardine salad seems... too much for me. That said I have a ton of herring in cream sauce in my fridge now so I'm sure I'd like it

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Mmm I was talking like tuna salad -- with mayonnaise

E: yeah sardines on a leafy green salad is delicious and not what I was thinking about at all

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 16, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Those look extremely delicious

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Portuguese food is amazing.

Also I finally caught the triple trout:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Turn your oven to 450 or higher with a cast iron pan inside. Chop a whole bunch of parsley with stems and a medium onion. Mash those in a bowl with two cans of whatever fish product in oil you want. With the oil from one can.

Pour all that into the sizzling cast iron and throw back in the oven for five minutes. After five minutes or when everything's getting browned and crispy, make four divots and crack an egg into each. Back in the oven for four minutes or until the eggs are done how you want them. Serve.

E: with sambal. Serve with sambal please

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 6, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
You worry about pathogens on fresh herbs? In a dish that features runny eggs no less?

Nobody mention tabbouleh or how it's really good with sardines

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I rinse them when I buy them from the store and store in paper towels in the fridge or a glass of water on the counter.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I mean, I eat bacalhau as often as possible so stockfish is just that with an EZ-Carry handle. Also I've seen multiple of his videos already that involve essentially confiting whole chunks of meat in butter, so double would.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think if they used actual hot sauce the fish would be pickled rather than just canned, from the vinegar. The texture would be firmer and bouncier from the acid.

Wait why don't they do that!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Taste the "mustard" out of a can of sardines and then taste it from a bottle. It's not the same thing. Also the pH of tomatoes is definitely not enough to escabeche

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
God speed I'm genuinely really curious!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again Tabasco is gutter trash. The variants aren't bad but it's an embarrassment to the International Hot Sauce Community

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
All hot sauce is pepper vinegar. Tabasco uses trash Tennessee whiskey barrels sanded down to make it weird. Barrel aged hot sauce in general isn't my thing but Tabasco is like a pelican poo poo in an open Jack barrel of Frank's.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah this poo poo:

is dope, is not what people think when Tabasco is mentioned, and actually isn't what I even think about when I think about hot sauce, but I'd use it the same way. On a sardine sandwich? :kiss:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh hell yes with the pineapple and garlic. I had a buddy that spent like four years at Rikers that kept a bottle on him at all times. He would eat literally anything, up to and including trash, like a goat except he refused to eat peanut butter because "that's what he ate on the inside"

One time we went fishing in Sheepshead Bay and caught some gnarly looking chum fish that he brought home and made into fish head soup that everybody except his mom refused to eat. His mom loved it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Cassius Belli posted:

I'm pretty well convinced that almost anything Tabasco does well, Crystal does better.

:emptyquote:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Literally any other hot sauce is better for the cutting through vinegar aspect than Tabasco. If I had to eat an entire plate of hot dog poo poo by gunpoint I would use Tabasco because it covers the flavor of whatever it weakly sputters on to. If I want to eat something I'll respect it more.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think I have a different palate than normal because actual spice levels don't make a huge difference but I really need the SOUR on my food. Like achoor powder and lime juice and tamarind and apple cider vinegar and jiankiang vinegar and loving citric acid on gummies all call to me. I'll eat a moruga reaper to the face but it won't be delicious without that tang yo

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just pry off the dasher top and piquant treasures await your fork

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

pr0k posted:

Buy some malic acid powder. Thank me later.

Uh yeah don't worry about me dude

I bought the malic for an attempt at an NA French 75 that came so close to working with the Hoshizaki highball machine at work but it just never came together *sigh*

Tabasco is still trash. This is pretty good on dines though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I got the variety pack and was kinda disappointed until I tried them as marinades and then I loved them. This was the best condiment sauce of the four for sure