Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I believe I suggested Seafood City for having a good selection. Bonus points for their cafe serving some pretty good Filipino food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Glad to see people are exploring more 'dine consumption.

Bought from the local bodega & eaten with the morning's eggs & kasha. Kinda sweet for my liking.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
'Sup, fellow Oregoon! Fubonn is a couple blocks from my place & is my go-to Asian grocery store that I'd go to. Up the street is Hong Phat, and their selection is smaller but has interesting choices.

Bonus: Hong Phat has balut.

Latest haul from them:

I'm excited for the Century 'dines because those are Filipino fishes. The crab & prawns were bought on a whim, so who knows what they taste like? Bangus is also known as milkfish & my mom would fry up those fatty fishies, so I'm interested in how they taste like when canned.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
drat, nice find! What's the name of this establishment? I may head over when I'm on the west side to check this out.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I dig that. I get salmon collars for hella cheap and make a pretty decent broth with it.

Kinda related: I went to Lincoln City for a friend's birthday & picked up some smoked oysters (not canned). What can I do with these?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I tried mixing this into my morning kasha.
I did not like it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Picked these up at New Seasons and I think they're pretty good. Used the oil to fry up the eggs for my breakfast that went with these 'dines. Sometimes the simple things are the best.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think SPAM is okay, but my canned meat of choice is corned beef. I remember taking a family trip down to Disney World from our home in Northern Maine & to save :10bux: we brought the rice cooker so that we could eat rice & corned beef in the hotel instead of spending money at restaurants.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Latest haul from Old Country Sausage up in NE Portland. It's a German market/restaurant and they have a small deli there too. I stopped by because I was across the street at Parkrose Hardware buying some specialty nuts & bolts.

Weisswurst from their restaurant section.

Sheep sausage for a friend's birthday party. Pretty tasty, where the sausage seasoning spices are what hits you first, then you're left with that nice lamb aftertaste.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Crab pizza is cool.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I've become a big fan of cod liver, though I'm increasingly concerned that I'm reeking of cod liver oil.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 1, 2017

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I didn't take a pic but here's a stock image that works:

Texture is soft, kinda buttery. If you've eaten foie gras, the texture isn't that far off. I don't think it's super strong in terms of fishiness (I would put mackerel over cod liver for that).

I've been mixing it in my morning kasha/fried egg breakfast. I do use the packaging's oil to fry my eggs, which is kinda nice. That said later on in the afternoon I feel like the cod liver oil smell is emanating from my body, either from my skin or deep down from my esophagus.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I didn't notice any membranes in it. To be honest it looks like any connective tissue was removed.

Luckily the last studio mate left so I'm the only one at work, stewing in my own stink.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Found this at Fubonn (the Asian grocery store near where I live in Portland). I like it, and I recognize that I will be stinky for the rest of the day.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

MetaJew posted:

How do you eat canned cod liver? On toast or something?

I mix it in with my morning kasha. I also use the oil to fry a couple eggs which then goes on top.

On toast is a good second option too. It's got the texture of foie gras, so a little crouton to bring it to your mouth would be a great pairing. Maybe even a little fruit preserves too to cut the fattiness.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

numberoneposter posted:

i bought a whole bunch of corned beef

will report back
What brand? Inquiring minds want to know…

Inkfish posted:

That's not sardines
…But pretty darn dadly.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Fm3rLGtjM
Really want to try this.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I wonder if you can make fish stick with the squid guts.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I also like smoked oysters. I think a tin is great in a salad, with the oil/juice making a good dressing base.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

MetaJew posted:

I also want to try KO cod liver but I haven't found it sold anywhere. Where to buy?

I found it at my local Russian grocery store. To be honest I haven’t tried it yet as I was going to save it for a Saturday morning breakfast treat.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Riga sprats are the bomb. I love packing them in my ruck for overnight hikes & eating them with a hunk of rye bread & some pickled veggies.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I have become a huge fan of whitefish salad sandwiches. The deli near my mom’s place here in Rockville, MD carries it, along with herring Fillets & chopped chicken livers.

I think I’m becoming a big fan of Jewish food.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I don’t know what that is but now I desire it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Can you order them online for her? It will be a nice gift for her to receive fish in the mail.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Post-workout shashuka. Had a tin of La Sirena sardines in tomato sauce with chilis so I used that as a base (along with a whole bell pepper & 1/3 an onion). My breath is stinky, my tongue is spicy, and my body is energized to shovel snow.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There better be ‘dines in that shashuka.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
👨🏻‍✈️: What do they have at Lesbos Island?

👨🏾‍✈️: Sardines, but not so big.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IIRC Mediterranean ‘dines are (slightly) more ethically farmed & there is an emphasis for quality over just mass producing for cheaper.

Speaking of which, I’m in the middle of moving so ‘dines are on heavy rotation as I don’t really have the ability to cook right now.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Feeling kinda peckish, so I head over to Park Kitchen here in Portland. Boquerones, castlevrtrano olives, potato chip, salsa verde aioli. Points off for serving it on a stone slab.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Rats like sardines and mint?

Neat.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Roki B posted:

Which Portland?

Which Portland would you think would be pretentious enough to serve sardines on a stone slab?

Oregon

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
For real, it's Park Kitchen. Hope you enjoy it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It goes well.

Eat those ‘dines!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Speaking of which, it’s important to remember what some sardines eat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nBY1FnSgPI

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There is a sweet spot where the heat and flavor is synchronized. Too much heat & you blow out your taste buds, lessening your ability to enjoy the subtle flavors a dish can have.

Honestly it’s why I like plain ‘dines over ones in hot sauce. I can add my own sauces to taste.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think the concept of a tuna melt is good, but old-rear end recipes leave poor goons with bad memories of them. Imagine a nice toasted bread, topped with a Mediterranean tuna mixed with a fresh aioli. Maybe a melty cheese like havarti.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hello ‘dine friends. I’m at an animation soirée & got to watch this gem. Figured you’d enjoy it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkMU_25PUXs

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like corned beef. My favorite is the stuff from New Zealand that is more chipped beef in texture.

One summer road trip to Disney World included my mom bringing a rice cooker so that we could eat corned beef & hot rice at the hotels we’d stay in throughout the trip.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Those Ligo sardines are good as a base ingredient for a recipe. Try making fisherman’s eggs with them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That’s a weird term to call your mouth but I commend your flexibility.