Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Against better judgement I bought some scrub tier sardines the other day, Pampa Sardines in Louisiana hot sauce. Opening the can revealed only 2 fish and a lot of red water, which was neither sauce nor hot. I checked the ingredients and it was water, no oil. Big fail there on my part for not looking before. I braved the China based fishes and made it two tiny bites. I bet it's what many people think dines taste like, fishy and tough in all the wrong ways. First unfinished tin I've ever chucked, luckily I had some King Oscars which brought me back to fishy goodness.

Learn from my mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Made the 500 degrees fisherman eggs with yellow onion and these 'spanish style' KOs.

Super good! Thanks thread.

I have yet to see this and want it. I have had KO in Olive Oil with Hot Jalapeno Peppers and it was quite tasty.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Managed to get in on one of the flash giveaways on the KO Facebook page and should be getting a couple free tins delivered soon. Thanks to whoever it was that suggested liking their page - they are awesome.

Just got my small box of happiness at the front door. Two cans of skinless & boneless, free dines for the win! :fork:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Storm took our power as soon as I got home, so what's for dinner? Tiny tots on saltines, some with mustard or sriracha. Even by flashlight a happy dinner.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The Snoo posted:

:3: omg I won some KO coupons from the instagram contest and also a royal taster's kit for the new hot sauce sardines. :kimchi: yaaayyyyy

This is my 3rd time winning, and since I haven't seen the hot sauce ones around I'm very excited. Once again this thread rules.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

bengy81 posted:

My local stores have really cut back on canned fish.
Went on a hunt for some of the cracked pepper KO's and I can't find them anywhere, hell, all I can find locally lately are single layer KO's. I want my brislings dammit.

Jalapeno KOs are my white whale, guess I'm too far out in the burbs.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Just won a tote bag for my lame FB haiku!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I turned down a wooden dine spoon for a tote bag, because I have no idea what a dine spoon is. Did I goof?

I went with the spoon since I don't need another tote, I figure another utensil to scope dines is a win?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I need to up my game, I've only gotten a wood fork and sardine lid. Does KO sell branded items for those who can't write poetry?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

cenotaph posted:

Are the king oscar double layers the same as the tiny tots?

IIRC, yes.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Clearing out coupons I found 4 for free King Oscar, free dines are the best even if I couldn't find the hot ones locally.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Anyone heard on KOs latest haiku contest, or are they still sorting through all our terrible poems?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Planet X posted:

(including a bootleg KO shirt from eBay)

The fact this exists makes me very happy.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Got a FB message I did win 3rd place in the last Haiku contest, I’m always down for more coupons. Got second place last time and it was a plastic sardine lid, which is never used since I always finish cans.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Almost let some free King Oscar coupons expire, whew. A few more cross packs in the cabinet.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Maybe a dumb question, but it's canned fish related. Do canned anchovies not age well?

Had a tin a year past best buy date, thought nothing of it until it was opened. Maybe 3 of the 6 fillets were together, the other half seemed to be mush. Only thing I figure is the oil to fish ratio is way more tilted towards oil in canned anchovies. Tasted fine, mush and all, used sparingly in a salad. KO brand if that means anything. Anyone else have any old anchovie experiences? Maybe just a bad tin.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
welp that beats my dollar store Chinese brand with two fish and a ton of water, yikes.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The Voice of Labor posted:

even in the deepest pits of hell, the light of the 'dine shines.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sardines/

On the one hand reddit, on the other hand spreading the good word.

:coolfish:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Found a store that carries Portuguese dines outside of Belas, grabbed some cans of Nuris and Moritz. Much bigger than my normal King Oscars but so very tasty. Worth the extra $2 a can.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Scrotum Modem posted:

It's been a while since I've bought some KO anchovies. I ate em plain out of the tin. The bones are more noticeable since it wasn't stored in olive oil but not too distracting. Completely safe to eat.

Suddenly there was a day a few years ago where I bought some and bit into it and the texture was... weird. Mushier than usual? I don't remember, other than wondering if this was sitting in a high temp truck for hours on end or something. I later bought more and gave it another try - same issue. That's when I stopped buying them.

Now that I'm speaking my mind about this past situation, I think I'll give em another try. They're pretty cheap price wise. Will report results

Been my experience with KO anchovies, not consistant at all. Decent purchase as an ingredient in something, alone I'd spend more on a better brand.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

kazr posted:

Managed to pick up a bunch of King Oscar Tapatio dines for 50 cents each. Are these good?

Clearance? I think KO discontinued them, they were a fav of mine. Great deal!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

naem posted:

if you get plain KO in olive oil and a jug of tapatio you can recreate the magic at home, in your underpants

But those didn't marinate for years in warehouses and a store shelf.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

What up 'dine thread

Got these in today. Not sure which to try first. Sorry about the shadows, overhead light in the kitchen and all is not conducive to pretty photogs.

Spiced olive oil is my favorite, but can't go wrong with any of them.

https://youtu.be/jpTwHAt0Zxw

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The Voice of Labor posted:

in the tinned fish cookbook by bart van olphen which is a real book with photos and everything and not something I made up at all the puttanesca recipe calls for choves and tuna. no one is denying the inclusion of the chove, but I'm reasonably certain that fish in addition to the chove is kinda expected

I have that book on my wish list, any good?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Yay I won another KO facebook contest. Maybe I'll get another apron.

Damnit I missed one, I usually win at least free coupons. Also I want to see their new white wine caper 'dines in my stores.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

naem posted:

that’s a heck of a nice shirt

I’d wear that, but the highest reward I’ve gotten from KO for my terrible poetry was a wood sardine fork.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Alright dads canned sardines are hipster food now, stock up before prices spike (looks back fondly on cheap aged whiskey).

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Roki B posted:

I've missed 700 posts of dine knowledge. My only update is that my local kroger affiliate no longer carries kipper snacks. If anyone has anywhere i can buy king oscar kippers not through big jeffy beezos that'd be greatly appreciated.

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/index.php/product/king-oscar-kipper-snacks/

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Planet X posted:

Is the link above essentially the place to buy tinned fish that aint Amazon?

That stuffed squid we chat about came from https://portugaliamarketplace.com/

Worth compiling a list of online shops, or is rainbowtomatoesgarden the one stop shop?

The place, no. It's a farm stand where the owner is really in to tinned fish. I've bought from them a few times, fairly priced and they always include extra goodies (like bonus tins).

I'm down for a online store list, I have purchased from other places also. Wish King Oscar sold directly, especially their vintage tins.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I only eat farm raised sardines. I’m hungry.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Nuris in tomato are pretty solid imho, only good ones I've had.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Planet X posted:

What yall doin

Did Mackeral on Triscuits for lunch. Yours sound better.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Bears get into the garbage cans here. Never mine despite the copious fish tins.

Obviously not dad bears.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

King Oscar just gave me a coupon from their haiku contest from last year lol

Same. I'll gladly accept more free merch and 'dines

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I want one of those magic sardine forks

I rarely use mine, bought a metal sardine fork from Rainbow Tomato Garden’s store and it’s superior.

Still seeking a KO tee and vintage cans, but my poetry is terrible :(

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Dad reporting a lunch of KO Dijon on Ritz. Best mustard 'dines to date, but still vastly inferior to just adding your own fav mustard to a plain can.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Apparently the Brits will do kippers in oil. Not sure why others won't, we need answers!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I've seen Pinhais/Nuris at local Italian markets, but yeah they charge. The Asian markets around me mostly sell brands like 555, Ligo or Titus. Solid brands for the price, but not premium.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Speaking of Nuri lol

https://shop.conservaspinhais.pt/blogs/blog/once-around-the-world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I love my preserved fish but have my limits. A whole jar of salted anchovies, this guy is hardcore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCmfR0x4tM4