Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

These jarred mackerals were our absolute favourite until about a year ago everywhere local stopped selling them. They were very pricey, like 8eur a jar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Yooper posted:

Happy Dads day, 'dine dads. My kiddo did well.

A good haul

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm never buying sardines in water based sauces again. They're just never as good as the ones in oil, plain olive oil > every water based option (and most of the other oil ones as well tbh)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't enjoy canned tuna no matter how fancy it is. Just tastes like tuna.

It's just so much worse than seared tuna steak that it feels like a waste to me, on top of being suspect for health/environment.

Tinned/jarred mackerel and sardines OTOH are their best form of preparation.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Today's sardines. Pretty good but nothing exceptional. I enjoyed the paper wrap on the tin

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A CRAB IRL posted:

What are the best dines easily available in the major UK supermarkets

And failing that, where should I be buying specialty dines online

I've definitely seen Ortiz ones in the UK.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

isaboo posted:

Friends, I just had some Ortiz 'El Velero' spanish dines and by gawd were they excellent. Three big, firm, meaty fishies with nice big spines in a very delicate olive oil. Definitely rank up there with the best I've had. A little pricey at $7 but good for a treat once in a while.

Their mackerals in a jar are also excellent (and expensive, like 8eur a jar).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bought one of these from a local fish and chips shop, was excellent. Strong braised/almost smoked flavour made it quite different from a normal tin. Still have a ginger and miso one to try

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Roki B posted:

A couple friend of ours has been watching some guy on youtube review canned fish and have been tempted into the dine world. It seems people will both produce and watch this sort of content. Strange world. They informed me that they have tried the 'dine gatway drug (Tiny Tots by KO) but haven't advanced much farther than that. So I made an RTG order and I received a big shipment of various exotic dines and assorted fishies as well as one of their sterling silver dine forks.

So I'm hosting them for a big fish fest in a few days. If you all have recommendations for preparation and serving above and beyond crusty country bread, mustard, pickled onions and champagne I'd love to hear them. Obviously I'll take a look through my tinned fish cookbook as well, but I want to hear what got your trepidacious buddies hooked.

You could serve them over bits of rice like a pseudo-nigiri. (a lazy weekday lunch for me is tinned fish, rice, peas/beans, laoganma crispy chili sauce all mixed up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

Birthday haul from Jungle Jim's today. There were a bunch of really nice tunas, but they were like twenty bucks each

I'd be interested in what the cod's like, I've never tried that canned