Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know smack was talked about Brunswick earlier in the thread, but I have the occasional tendency to get these and eat them with crackers out of the tin.

Sardines can gently caress off, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Picked up a can of Brunswick kipper snacks at the store today - they didn't have a great selection, and I'm easing myself back into the world of canned fish products.

Keeping an eye out for King Oscar at the recommendation of this thread.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nooner posted:

There was some left over lutefisk and I tried to feed it to my parents cats and they were having none of it. One smelled it and turned around and just walked away, the other licked it once and looked up at me like "Wtf you gave me good rear end salmon yesterday you traitor" and then hosed off to the garage presumably to eat as much kitty food it could to get taste out if it's mouth

When I initially read this post I missed reading the word "cats" and I thought you just had weird parents.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ligo dine are decent food, a rare thing in Pilipino foods

I'm not completely familiar with the cuisine of the Philippines, but I love these things:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I like using fresh white onions in sandwiches and stuff. It has a cleaner, crisper flavor than yellow and doesn't have the often excessive sweetness of red.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Had a tin of KO Tiny Tots on crackers with sriracha sauce for lunch - it was pretty good. Pretty mild flavor - not as fishy as I was expecting. Probably would've been better if I was using something less sweet than Ritz-type crackers, though.

Also had a tin of KO kipper snacks a few days ago, and can definitely say they are better than the Brunswick version. Better color and flavor in every way.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Picked up two more cans of KO Tiny Tots yesterday along with some saltines - I really think they will work better than the Keebler Town House I used last time. Still have a tin of Wild Planet in reserve, too. The store I was at only had Brunswick kipper snacks, so I passed on those - the KO are so much better that the Brunswick just don't seem like an option.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Had some Wild Planet sardines in extra virgin olive oil for lunch today on saltines with sriracha sauce. Pretty good, would consider getting again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jimson posted:

Anyone here have experience eating this with a busted up mouth? Really wanna get down on some tiny rear end fish, but my dad said the worse pain he ever experienced was when a bone lodged itself into one of his cavities, and my mouth is ALL cavity.

Is your dad bubble-boy? Because that is a pretty scrub-tier pansy-rear end intense pain story.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Needed a snack and just ate a can of these - they were quite tasty:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Made a half-assed sandwich with a can of Bumblebee sardines in Louisiana Hot Sauce today and it was actually pretty good. The Bumbledee dines are clearly not good and kinda mushy, but slapped between two slices of lightly toasted bread they made a reductionist sort of dine salad sandwich that was fairly tasty.

I ate said sandwich over the kitchen sink for extra dad points, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Had some Brunswick kippered snacks yesterday, and happened to notice that apparently they are a subsidiary of Bumblebee. I've been kind of enjoying slumming with sandwiches made from the Bumblebee sardines in hot sauce, so this didn't strike me as too bad a thing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sirspankalot posted:

I ate some sardines after the recommendations itt. Ended up hurling for 7 hours afterwards. Never again.

:shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I like to use lightly toasted white bread, usually cheap. I think that gives me extra dad cred, at least on the American side.

(As an aside, finding white bread that isn't like goddamn angel food cake has become a chore. Looking for grams of sugar per slice has become my rule of thumb, and finding white bread with fewer than 2g of sugar per slice takes some searching. My local Rite Aid has loving Hostess brand bread, which has at least 3g of sugar per slice. I have a certain morbid curiosity about it, and toy with the idea of wasting the money on a loaf just to find out what a sickly-sweet abomination it is.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mortimer posted:

had some jalapeno KOs on crackers

NOT OKAY they hurt my butthole and made my stomach gurgle like crazy

other KOs are okay but jalapeno mexican style whatever can go bristle themselves elsewhere that isnt my dinner plate!

Are you from the midwest or some other bland cuisine hellhole?

If you don't add raw jalapenos to your Mexican food then you should just hand in your dadcard right now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

Finally had the King Oscar/Clover Leaf Sardines in olive oil.

Good but not worth the $$$.

My favorite are still the Portuguese ones and honestly the cheapo Brunswicks do the trick for me.

I've been pretty happy with the Brunswicks, too. Unfortunately I'm lucky to find just the olive oil and mustard ones in the stores here, if they carry Brunswicks at all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just had an odd experience - was making a quick and half-assed sardine sandwich and found that it appeared the fish still had their livers in or were otherwise not completely cleaned. It was a tin of Bumblebee in hot sauce, which I have eaten a lot of, and all three fish had a long, oblong, slightly crumbly organ still inside the belly cavity, almost the length of each fish. When I noticed the first one I thought I would just pick it out and chalk it up to random chance, but then discovered all three had it.

Ended up ditching that can and falling back on a can of Chicken of the Sea dines that I had in reserve.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

Heinz?

Dads prefer Ranch Style Beans

This is incorrect. These are indeed the proper beans:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

IMO there are a lot of good canned beans out there and I switch between them for the biannual beanie weenie feast of shame

I'll do it a little more often than that but it is with the Heinz beans, decent hotdogs (nothing lower than Nathan's), and enough sriracha to give it a little bit of a bite.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

An electric kettle is one kitchen appliance that I would find it hard to live without anymore. Had a few over the years, and you really get spoiled by having the ability to boil like a liter and a half of water in a short span of time. Compared to doing it on the stove or in the microwave it is practically instant. Also helps to shorten cooking time for a lot of things, because you can boil the water in the kettle rather than waiting for it to warm on the stove.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

Does it get grody inside

No, but we have great water here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

I had a water boiling thing in college and it wasn't any better than a stove and I haven't bought one since maybe they're poo poo here in the US and ok overseas

Maybe I had a poo poo one

I'm in the US - Pacific Northwest. Pretty sure my current electric kettle came from Costco for like $20 or so. A halfway decent electric kettle really is about the fastest way to boil water there is.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Here is the outside - trying to use my crappy phone camera to take a picture of the inside isn't working very well.

It comes off the plastic base that provides power just by lifting it - it's really handy.

And here it is with some tinned fishies to provide scale.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Bumblebee in hot sauce are my go-to cheap dines for half-assed sandwiches. They are much better and more reliable than the Chicken of the Sea.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Renegret posted:

My hands took the brunt of the scent and I eventually got the stink out with enough hand washing that now my eczema is now acting up from my dried out skin.

Eczema: The dadliest skin condition? At least that I can handle.

Still, I'm going to smell that stench in my nightmares. When I told one of the people who works there, the guy immediately turned to his subordinate and told him to have fun.

I can sympathize with the eczema thing. A lot of hand soaps will just make mine flare up almost immediately, so I've gotten used to trying to avoid touching things as much as possible when I'm outside to avoid the need for frequent handwashing. Those handicap accessible doors are a godsend, so I can just hip-check a button and not have to grab a doorhandle. One of the few things about Fall and Winter that I appreciate is that I can wear gloves and nobody thinks it is weird.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Renegret posted:

I have a prescription that I swear works using witchcraft. If I have a flare up, I'll use it three times in one day and it'll be like the flare up never happened. That being said, I still have to make sure I don't do anything to cause a flare up, which usually involves anything that dries it out. Washing my hands, the dishes, and for some reason the laundry are what do it the worst as far as daily tasks go. In the winter I'm basically hosed.

On that note, why are all dish gloves made for women's smaller hands. I bought an XL and they still don't fit. Men want to protect their hands while doing the dishes too :argh:

Cortisone 10 makes an eczema cream that works for me, but other than that it sounds like we have very similar experiences. I did finally manage to find a pair of dish gloves that fit me okay, if still a little snug.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

Just grabbed two 99¢ tins of Chicken of the Sea sriracha 'dines. Gonna hafta try 'em out tonight. :getin:

I have to say that for the really cheap dines that Bumblebee is much better than Chicken of the Sea. I'll only get Chicken of the Sea if they are all the store carries.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

I have the exact opposite experience. I got a bumblebee can once that smelled bad enough to make me gag but have enjoyed all the chicken of the sea cans I've bought.

Weird. It could be luck of the draw, I suppose, but in my experience it has been pretty consistent that Bumblebee are better than Chicken of the Sea.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Snoo posted:

Eat the drat tail

Agreed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This stuff is amazing on roast beef:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ceciltron posted:

Collectable European drinkware! Forgive me, m'lady I knew not I discussed canned fish 'mongst royalty!

Yeah, that's a little regrettable, but I swear that's a really good condiment.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I recently had a can of Trader Joe's sardines in spring water, which I got just because they were on sale. I wasn't expecting much from them, but they were surprisingly good. Bigger fish than I would have liked, but had excellent taste and texture. I have avoided fish packed in water, but these were unexpectedly decent.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm fine with raw oysters, but have never cared for them cooked. It also doesn't help that the last time I had fried oysters it resulted in one of the weirdest gastrointestinal events I've ever had.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

havnt had a mighty deen in months

Repent.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Had another can of the Trader Joe's sardines in spring water this week, partly to see if my previous experience with them was an anomaly. Nope, I actually think they are surprisingly good. Sort of big and oddly-shaped, but the texture was good and they were tasty. Back to slumming with Bumblebee this week, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I had a can of Trader Joe's 'dines in harissa yesterday, they were pretty satisfying on a hung-over Sunday.

Does anyone have some dad advice (dadvice?) on how to open and drain a can without making a huge loving mess? I generally crack the can open, then pour out as much oil as will come, then peel back the lid and remove. However when I'm draining the oil, it's running all over the outside of the can, and when I finally pull the lid loose it tends to jerk and spatter some oil around. I'd like to do 'dines for a work lunch more often but the risk of getting fishy olive oil everywhere makes that a challenge.

This is one of the few places where I actually have grown to appreciate adhesive labels covering the lid - Bumblebee almost never do the whole jerk and splatter thing. I've mostly held other cans as deep in the sink as I could while taking the lid off to minimize splatter.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

thathonkey posted:

i was starving today and remembered i had a tin of the trader joes skinless dines in oil left and ate it with some ritz crackers. great snack but im gonna stick to the kind with the skin i think ... Still need to try some king o's

King Oscar is pretty much the benchmark, particularly the Tiny Tots. I've posted a couple times that I have been pleasantly surprised by the Trader Joe's dines in spring water, if you happen to be in there again soon. Just had a particularly good tin of Bumblebee in hot sauce as a sandwich - if I hadn't known better I would've thought this particular can was from a better brand.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bengy81 posted:

If you have one around you, Trader Joe's sriracha sauce is fantastic and IMO it isn't as sweet as the one with the rooster on the bottle, just something to throw out there.

Are you deliberately trying to troll this person? Trader Joe's sriracha should be labeled as ketchup - it is inferior to Huy Fong sriracha in every way.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

dreadspork posted:

Submitted for your approval: the laziest fisherman's eggs:

(with KO spicy black pepper sardines)

Holy poo poo, I might try that. Thanks to being of English extraction :britain: I have a deep fondness for beans and egg on toast, and could certainly manage putting together some variant of 'dines and egg on toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

There are a bunch of places here that make decent fresh salsa that you can buy in grocery stores in plastic tubs, like the size of a container of cottage cheese or sour cream. I haven't intentionally consumed jarred salsa in a very long time.

Addendum: On the other hand, I have a deep and defiant love for this stuff: