Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Trying to lose that dad bod??? for your health.

http://locallemons.com/local_lemons/2010/01/sardines-and-avocados.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I'm also going to make an effort to get some fresh 'dines soon. Will report back on how that goes.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Secks Cauldron posted:

Thread has gotten me interested in trying sardines. What other foods go well with them?
rye bread. mayonnaise. hot sauce. red onion. aquavit/schnapps.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 19, 2015

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Admiral Bosch posted:

Okay a couple weeks late, but hey, glad there's a new 'dine thread to post these in. While I was in China I got the urge for sardines so I went to the store to look for some. These are all I could find.

http://imgur.com/a/mJ589

Grody, huge, boney. And yet they still tasted okay. They were two different kinds; the slimmer kind was a little better and easier to manage/debone. I ate the ribs but removed the spines. Adding some chinese chili powder helped considerably.

All in all I am glad to be back in the land of easily available KO royal dines
There is no God.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Nooner posted:

hey do you guys think hermoine from Harry Potter ever said the n word??
the actress or the character????

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Male Tears posted:

Whatever, even if sardines become uncool, they'll still be healthy. That could never be said for bacon.
i think they arnt cool at all they are kind of a weird underdog of snack foods enjoyed by dads and people who identify as dads

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Thump! posted:

Do you cook the fishes in their can or do you pour them into the dish? I don't want to blow my oven up amigo.
Also don't do his recipe 500 loving degrees lol are you making a pizza or what haha???

use this one and go nuts with the garlic and presley.

http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/03/25/fishermans-eggs/

obviously you can add more to it, ive used hot peppers as well in the veggie mix, you could even GO CRAZY and add some curry powder for an ethnic twist!

quote:

Fisherman’s Eggs (serves 2 or 1 hungry dad)

125g can sardines
4 large eggs
2 tsps fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
1/4 small, white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 375, place an ovenproof dish inside while you assemble the ingredients.
Flake the sardines together with the parsley, garlic and onion. Season generously with black pepper and tip into the heated ovenproof dish. Put in oven for five minutes.
Gently crack the eggs into a bowl. Remove the sardines from the oven and carefully pour the eggs on top. Season generously and return to oven for 15 minutes until the eggs are cooked but jiggly. Let sit for a few minutes before serving so they congeal further.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

how about thanks for the OPs but i bet you suck balls at cooking, how about them dines????

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

hmmmm ok time to cook with the oven, lets see, well the dial goes up to 500 id be a fool to set it to anything less

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

hmmm the oven goes to 500 obviously that can only be for pizza a hurrr a hurrr
lmao the list of things you cook in an oven at 500 is pretty short is your parsley singed when you take it out? how are the eggs like not artery clogging hard? you are wrong but im not going to keep arguing

instead ill make a sardine pizza, dough and sauce from scratch, in janurary and SHOW YOU ALL

im thinking the sauce is going to be garlic, chili flake, anchovy sauce

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

just sampled a tin of these sardines in soya oil with chilli peppers from portugal. the brand advertises that its existed since 1890.

good for something i found at the chinese corner store and havnt seen anywhere else. very salty, very firm fish but good flavor. would probably be good for a salad in that sense.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Five hundred. … 500 degrees, that’s the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 degree sardines and eggs and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that’s what you are.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

cant wait to get home, get a bit boozy and full of 'dines, watch some eps of jessica jones, and then get pedantic and rilled up about sardines on the internet!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

cram me sideways posted:

i wonder if i should even bother trying all these other dines - crown prince, ocean prince, chicken of the sea, hill country - or just donate them to the food shelter and stay buddies with my man, king oscar
Tape like 5 sardine tins together with a bottle of Luisiana Gold. Merry X-mas single working mothers!!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the fam, among other things, put smoked oysters and hot sauce in my xmas stocking

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Oil sardines drowned in habanero sauce kinda dad here.

Tomato and mustard? Never touch the stuff.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I'm going to try some more mustard dines. I love mustard but I was less than enthused by the Brunswick mustard.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Phone the wife and get her to star pre-heating the oven now. Crank that fucker to full mill power. Your oven should be rumbling. Your kitchen should be like a foundry. LONG LIVE FISHERMAN'S EGG.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

You guys are going to go loving crazy when I finally make my sardine pizza @ 500 degrees. Maybe this weekend. Pizza dough is a pain in the old beehive and I like my pizza dough but I don't like making it so I might just buy some from this local bakery that sells fresh dough balls but otherwise I'm gonna make the sauce putanesca style.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 30, 2015

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

sardines are healthpacks for real life

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 30, 2015

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I want to believe.

But any ways I wish I had taken a picture of the steaks I cooked the other night. I know they arnt the mighty deens but I had been dreaming about steaks so I thought it healthy to pick some up, like the only way to get a song stuck in your head unstuck is by listening to it.

The steaks were like $15 each on sale so I really didn't want to gently caress them up. Cooked them on a huge rear end cast iron. More or less the Ducasse method of searing then basting in butter except I used a little more heat than what most directions say because I wanted that good crust and then I finished in the oven on a balmy 300 degrees. With sautee garlic mushrooms and steamed green beans I think I could die tomorrow and feel satisfied with life.

Sorry to derail. :tipshat:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

Bang your window open and yell GET KIPPED out it and throw the empty can at a loving Greek

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

AEMINAL posted:

Sardines are so loving good, who else is cracking a tin open as the clock hits midnight???????
I'm going to splash open the cheapest bottle of champ I can get my hands on. Not even gonna drink most of it. Most of it is going on the loving street! HAPPY NEW YEARS!!

Going to make some sardine based got dern caesars for my hangover tho. Any clues??? Let's craft it.

A caesar is the superior version of bloody maries because is has gat darn clam juice in it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Nooner posted:

make a michelada
tomorrow might be the day. finally. 2016. year of the michelada.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Sizone posted:

this used to be a serious thread and now you fuckers are talking about sardine based cocktails. knock it the gently caress off. though some anchovy paste in a bloody mary would be kickin rad
you must be tons of fun at parties

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Sizone posted:

yeah, cause you know the shithead puking up bacardi and dine is the guy all the girls want to go home with
the sardine caesars are for the morning hangover but thanks for coming out

happy new years not trying to be a dick sorry!!!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

after careful introspection ive decided to leave the sardines out of the drinks and just make some fishermans eggs and get drunk on the spicy bloody ceasars

happy new year

im so drat tired

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

czarmonger posted:

My roommate is mad because she left when I was starting to bake muh dines at 10am and the house still smelled like fish when she got back at 6pm.

Based on past experiences, it will probably still smell tomorrow. Is there any way to bake fish without stenching up the house for multiple days?
Cook something with a lot of curry right after. Like a crock pot full of chicken tikka masala. Spicy curry will mask everything.

edit: better yet sardine curry.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 4, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

things to buy today:

-rye bread
-some kind of mustard (i havnt decided yet)
-red onion
-mayo
-pickled herring

welcome to scando smorbrod flavor town

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

THIS IS DISCRIMINATION :mad:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

for a meager loonie

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Brunswicks are firmly middle range deens. But for $1 CANADIAN I dont think you can find better value.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Went for a 2 hour bike ride and then ate sardines, a cliff bar, and an apple for my post ride. I've gotten festively plump over the holidays, no complaints, but it's time to do something about it!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Male Tears posted:

Consuming 600 calories after you exercise is probably not going to help you much in that regard.
How do you figure? If anything it's not even close to refueling after a ride

An hours of "easy" cycling burns like 600 cals. Combined with a BMR of about 2500 I'm not even close to breaking even.

A harsh ride (or run or anything that gets your HR to zone 4-5) will burn close to 1000 calories an hour.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Male Tears posted:

Yeah, sorry I was mistaken. My BMR is significantly less so if I ate 600 calorie snacks I'd end up obese and/or reverse the good of any exercise I did. My bad.
It's all good. I race bicycles, not very well, and I'm getting old, 31, so besides just adding volume of exercise which I've done in the past I've decided to start paying more attention to my diet. Plus I'm a bit of a drinker but that's a horse of a different color.

Besides that you should run a budget on your calories in vs out and see where it ends up. You still need to feed yourself at the end of the day but if you can feed yourself calories from good meat (sards, etc) and clean carbs (brown rice) and also veg like broc or sprouts or spinach it becomes a bit of a game. How can you make a cup of brown rice and can of sardines plus some kind of green thing delicious? The possibilities are endless!

My start on calorie counting has made me realize how much I'm working to burn off the beers I've been casually drinking.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 15, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I use a rice cooker and use 1/2 cup more water than it calls for. Also boil with a packet of Bovril. Good ol' beef tea brown rice.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

BaconCopter posted:

Man I saw 15 new posts in this :coolfish: thread and its all bout FUCKIN RICE?!

Nah son, nah.

Just the other day I convinced a friend of mine, who is a dad, how to be a proper father. The secret is in the holy tin of KO 'dines. He was easily converted. All hail King Oscar, savior and creator of dadhood!
gotta get the deeners back on track!

my co-worker said her dad would feed her sardine and peanut butter sandwiches as a kid

i have a new respect for her and her father but im not sure im that brave

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

"Hi is this Dominos? Can I speak to your manager? No I don't want to order pizza. Can I make a special request? Great. I need to borrow your oven to boil some water to make brown rice and sardines...hello hello are you still there?"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Thump! posted:

Why don't you just cook the dine over an open flame like lol what the gently caress is wrong with you? :confused:
just lol if you dont do this for all your meals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014