Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Dunno what you guys are bitching about with the bones. Maybe they're noticeable in the cheaper brands with bigger sardines, but in KOs they're small and so soaked up in olive oil that you can't even tell the bones are there when you eat them. I've gotten many people overcome their ridiculous fear of this. It's good and you will never sense any bones.

it's also got useful nutrients as well that you're missing out on ya fuckin wimps, like 4x the calcium of what your weak skinless boneless cans have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Holy crap, note to anyone in michigan or any place where you have meijer and kroger chains - kroger sells their KO sardine cans for $3.20 each or at least over $3 while meijer sells them for 2 for $5. plain, mediterranean, doesn't matter. I think singles at meijer are $2.50 but I'll have to verify next time

Keith Atherton posted:

Holy moley these are top tier if you are into skinless/boneless dines.

you're like the zima drinker of dadfoods. seriously there is no reason to eat boneless/skinless unless you intentionally want to feed your body less nutrients. serious question: what are you afraid of? get some KO dines and learn from the mistakes you've been making.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

i'm gonna introduce my dad to some ko sardines. mediterranean on some toasted sourdough over olive oil and prob some regular on same bread with some german style mustard

what he remembers when he thinks of canned nordic sardines is when his dad would eat it. this is like 1950s/1960s and apparently they stunk like poo poo as soon as the cans were opened. i perhaps may not impress him but he will at least realize that things have gotten far, far better since then

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

as a regular KO person, I decided to buy some bumblebee in hot sauce for $0.99 and see how it is. the dines or parts of dine were large and pretty dry-tasting. i enjoyed the hot sauce more than the dines. I dunno, I guess I'd like it if it was mixed in with stuff in a blender or something

maybe

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

jadebullet posted:

So what exactly is in a Royal Taster pack anyway?

an official dadness certification in edible form

just add hot sauce

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I won that pack pre-haiku. Ate both tins up plain. good stuff

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

haha you remind me of people who think lizards and snakes are slimy and how horribly wrong they are

go KO, realize your fear is based on a false premise, and join the club

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

someone let us know how fresh sardines are compared to canned.

I assume they go for the larger ones versus ones in a KO can, and bones excluded since they aren't soaked in oil from weeks to months, but what do I know

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'm never tired of jalapeņo KOs on any bread really. unfortunately the Meijer I shop at rarely has Mediterranean and the Kroger next to it does, but they charge all the KO cans like 75 cents more. dunno what's up with that.

I actually have reviewed almost every KO sardine option known and took pics so I should prob post the results one of these days

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'd never trust a cross pack. I wanna know what the hell on getting. honestly though, they are usually all the same price in stores regardless of flavoring, so get them in-store. in the U.S. you can find them under $3. Again, shame on Kroger for their insane prices on them. KO's anchovies and other fish under the KO name are usually priced cheaper than their sardines, if you have those available.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

BaconCopter posted:

Finally found a Wallyworld that stocks delicious KO Mackerel, only $2.20 a tin, but no Mediterranean flavor anywhere within 30 miles of me :( I bought a bunch, and a bunch of dines. I then proceeded to break a self-checkout after using 5 different KO coups I'd been saving. The cashier that came to help was pretty impressed with my KO keychain tho :coolfish:

I might have to buy a full rack next time I'm there, these fishies are delicious!

King Oscar Mediterranean Sardines, 3.75 Ounce Tins (Pack of 12)

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Aren't you guys worried about mercury poisoning?

http://www.kingoscar.com/low-mercury-sardines.pdf

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

how's the price of clover leaf dines? are they top shelf prices like KO?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

the best ginger beer:

all the other ones in my area suck rear end in comparison. cane sugar > hfcs

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Planet X posted:

I have a sardine success story that I need to share with the crew

Last night, my girlfriend hosted a happy hour at our house with her workmates. Nothing fancy, she put out some cheese, crackers, and so on. She likes fisherman's eggs, and therefore I say she's a kipper.

Anyway, not sure how it came up, but she said that her workmates wanted to try sardines and had not before. Mind you, the three girls are all in their early twenties. I was pleased that they were so adventurous as to try them, as I would think that particular demographic wouldn't be so game. I quickly fetched and drained a tin of Wild Planet into the sink, and had them try a a few chunks as-is. Not bad, they said. One of the pieces had a secondary chunk hanging off by a piece of bone or skin, and I said "oh, that's normal" when I got a slight look of apprehension. They were good sports.

After they tasted them from the can, I noticed that there was an avocado on the counter. Thinking quickly, I mushed dem dines up with the avocado, grabbed a random half lime in the fridge, salt and peppered the mix up, and said now check this out... Served it on a cracker and had them have a sip of white wine afterwards. They were hooked! Really liked it, and went back for more.

I then showed them how we do it Dad style and put a big hunk of spine dine on a cracker, dumped a big ol glop of sambal oolek on there and took it straight to the head.

Anyway, I hope you liked my dine story about an unlikely group of girls really enjoying sardines at my house. Sardines are not just for dads. :sax:

you could have gotten a threesome going if you had KO srsly

always keep one around, sorta like that one emergency condom

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

i'm addicted to KO anchovies, perhaps more so than their sardines. they cost about a dollar less than the sardines, at $1.50 though the tin is a little smaller. perhaps it's due to the fact that these are stored in salt and classic olive oil vs the sardines with extra virgin olive oil, but the teeny teeny spines are a tiny bit noticeable. It doesn't ruin it at all so try it out and don't be a pussy and eat the 'chovies. it's very good poo poo

i always remember hearing about how bad anchovies smell and taste but this stuff tastes great and doesn't stink. i pretty much drain the olive oil and save it for later and then stick a fork in and eat all the anchovies at once. over a sink. hell yeah

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Son you just eatin cans of anchovies on they own? gd

Is this some kinda unprocessed chovy

I mean

naw

don't knock it till you try it bro

KO is best

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

everyone should find out if KO anchovies are sold next to their sardines and take the KO anchovies challenge. report results

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

someone needs to make a dadfood calendar with various elegant pictures of dadfood for each month. it'll have all the national dadfood holidays highlighted, like national sardines day - november 24th.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

yeah I had that once straight outta the tin and it almost seemed like there was more mustard than dine flavor-wise

There's one in tomato sauce wasn't that great due to the spiceless tomato sauce used in it

pretty much these types of tins are made to mix well into meals without the unneeded olive oil getting in the way, so don't expect them to taste great by themselves

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

if the ginger beer isn't using cane sugar then forget about buying it

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

drain the oil out before taking the deens out. that way they aren't almost dripping in olive oil when you take them out

also use bread instead of a cracker to soak the remaining oil up. toasted or untoasted. I've gone the simple route a few times and just put deens (we're of course talking KO regular, mediterranean, or jalapeņo) on a slice of bakery bread, folded it and ate that mofo. good stuff

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

eating 250 calories worth of sardines and its absorbed olive oil every day is actually a smart health choice. dunno what's up with you

e: What Are the Benefits of Eating Sardines?

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 30, 2016

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I drank a few bottles of 8.5% scotch ale and ate a few tins of KO dines with jalapeņos and some KO anchovies. I dunno if it improved the flavor but I sure as hell enjoyed it, like a stoned person eating sugar

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

King of Bees posted:

Dinner

Happy memorial day and I hope you got a chance to grill! 😉

how're the bones in them cuties

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

holy gently caress do i crave sardines

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

open KO up. stick fork in. stab dines. put dines in mouth. chew. smile.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

no where to be found locally. i might order some through amazon, but gently caress this. I've honestly had every variation of their dines other than these. I've even tried their mackerel through facebook awards. that poo poo ain't sold locally either.

bah, i'll probably order a pack from amazon in a few days. i'm looking for goon support on whether it's worth the price

also, at my local Mejier (Michigan) they've raised the price for KO anchovies ($1.50 -> 2.00) and i think a few of the sardine cans have gone up in price too. Nothing close to $3 or higher (I'm bitching at you, Kroger).

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I've started heating up my tortillas on a skillet until they start to lightly brown on both sides. it makes them slightly crispy and fluffy and gives an overall better flavor imo. I'm never gonna microwave a tortilla again

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 13, 2016

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

open up said can and put the contents into your mouth. chew. swallow. cum.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

more proof that boneless/skinless are no doubt inferior. let's be honest now.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

how are 'chovies on cheap american pizzas? Domino's, Little Caesar's, Hungry Howie's Papa John's, etc etc. I like quality anchovies like the ones KO sells but I've assumed what pizza places use are somewhat different

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

you got a pregnant sardine

hawt

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I love sardines

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

are the KO in tomato sauce worth it because walmart doesnt have them and never having had tomato ones im wondering if its worth sourcing them.

the fact that they're stored in tomato sauce might help if you're using it in a recipe where you're mixing into some type of tomato sauce anyway. No dealing with excess oil or whatev. The taste of the sauce by itself, IMO, isn't good. The last time I tasted it, it lacked basic seasoning and was too sweet which means it's got enough sugar in it that made it not very well-balanced. I don't see myself buying some again any time soon

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Zoe posted:

Oh, this thread still exists.

My first experience with this (or previous?) thread was that it inspired me to try sardines in the form of lovely cheapo Beach Cliff (I think?) sardines that were on sale. And now I'm not necessarily blaming them, but I became violently ill that night and for a long time after that no longer wanted to eat tiny fish from cans.

But I bought a bunch of canned fish products for Harvey anyway, only it turned out filling your kitchen with strong ocean smells is the last thing you want to do when you have no AC or plumbing for a week and the whole house is a sauna full of dog and wet carpet. Things returning to normal here however and I've got a lot of assorted fish things crammed into cans to work my way through. Is there a recipe site somewhere that appreciates these things as much as this thread does, or can someone point me to specific posts with suggestions? I read about fisherman's eggs and I'm aware of the Alton Brown recipe and that is the extent of my sardine knowledge. (The mackerel I have I'm assuming I can treat like salmon and make croquettes?)

e: Also, I have two cans of Crown Prince smoked oysters but didn't notice till now they were from China. Odds on them giving me cancer?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

theres a will theres moe posted:

The flavors of the different types of KO aren't really all that different from one another, in my opinion. If you're yearning for a certain flavor you're probably better off adding it yourself than paying a premium for a can.

the difference is the sardines have been sitting in a sealed tin absorbing those flavors for months. adding it yourself is absolutely not the same unless you have time, patience and something to store it in yourself. And I completely disagree- there's a big difference in flavor, by a long shot.

e: the jalapeņo ones are a good example. the capsaicin in the jalapeņos are fat soluble so the heat spreads into the olive oil and the olive oil gets absorbed into the sardines over months. adding some jalapeņos yourself before eating would be nothing alike flavor-wise.

are you familiar with meat or fish or whatever that's been sitting in a marinade and how that changes the flavor? this is sort of the same idea

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 15, 2017

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

thinkin about sardines and home made pickled eggs (and lethal farts)

store the farts in a jar and pickle the farts

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

anyone ever smuggle dines into a movie theater and crack em open then finish em before the previews are done rolling???

be sure you check to see if there's a state or local law prohibiting that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Smythe posted:

listen these dines look good as gently caress, but at nearly $2 per can? is it worth it? dine goons?

that's actually a little cheaper than how much they cost at my local grocery, $2.50 each (they rose the price). and yeah they fuckin worth it

go get u some