Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

poverty goat posted:

leftover... sardines? :confused:

Those bar harbors dines that were so bad I put most of the tin out for the possums and raccoons. Rare, sure, but it happens.

I could also see cracking open two tins because you're hungry and getting full midway through the second tin, like what happens with fast food hamburgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

way way way longer than it will take for you to eat it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Just had a can of KO skinless boneless in olive oil over a little warm rice. Poured about half the oil on the rice, put some lemon juice on the fish.

It was perfect, so good I had to post about it. Like it made the back part of my brain tingle it was so good.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

On a lark I looked up a katsu sauce recipe. It's just mirin, soy sauce, worcestershire, ketchup, garlic and ginger, like the unholy fusion of Japanese and English sauces. I eyeballed a batch and it came out real good. Tried it with some spam and, ersatz chicken katsu, chicken tendies tonight. Gonna mix up another batch and try it with fish sticks or 'dines tomorrow.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

'dines and

tapenade

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

A few nights ago I sprinkled some Lawrys seasoning salt onto some dines along with some lemon juice. It was good but, unsurprisingly, too salty. I've been toying around with making bootleg lawrys without the salt. It's not working out, so I've decided to move my experimentation to the core active non salt, non sugar ingredients of lawrys: onion and garlic powder and expand from there. I mulled a batch onion and garlic powder with Italian herb mix, gonna throw in a pinch of salt and some red wine vinegar and use that on some dines tomorrow.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

So yeah, one part garlic powder, one part onion powder one part dried Italian herb blend, pinch of salt muddled together, red wine vinegar to reconstitute. It's good dine sauce, subtle and with characteristics of both vinaigrette and Italian dressing.

I remember why I like Seasons so much. Other than being cheap at costco, they aren't overpoweringly smokey.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

So how much longer until one of your sardine groupies is stocking up on "alternative protein" and the 'dine thread finally gets a grandchild?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Let's say a man desired to be self sufficient in dines. What's the smallest, cheapest boat/netting setup that would allow for harvesting of the pilchard bounty?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm not looking at anything in the immediate future, but given that we may be living through the decline of western civilization putting an idle thought towards securing the capture and processing of little fishes seems prudent.

For making practical examples and data easier to apply, let's say northern california to southern oregon.

Where do the little fishes run, what's the 'dinest port to dock in along the coast?

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 8, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Big Beef City posted:

pacific sardines are overfished and there's been a moratorium on the industry, with catch limits in place since 2015 so...not many places

.gif of zoidberg eating anchovies

e:

25 pounds per day limit, 16 ounces to a pound, 4.75 ounces to one can of dines. Fish 4 days a week, adjust for gross to processed weight, that's 250-300 cans of small fish a week.

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 9, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you'd miss dines long before you'd miss corn and beans. unless you're talking about coffee beans.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

grovercannery

apocalypse farming would be dependent on apocalypse 'dine industry. that's where the apocalypse organic fish emulsion would come from.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

play spin the bottle with your dine cans yo

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

one evening as the sun went down
and the fisherman's eggs were burning
a man found dines to be to his liking
he said,

These fish are a-luring

I'm headed for a land that's far away
by the crystal meth fountains
so come with me, we'll go and see
the big fat sardine mountains

in the big fat sardine mountains
there are sardines packed up so tight
where the mustard grows on bushes
and you 'dine out every night

where the tins are never empty
and the sun shines every day
on the birds and the bees
and the peppercorn seeds
the lemon juice springs
where the jalapeno rings
in the big fat sardine mountains

https://oregonlookouts.weebly.com/sardine-mountain.html

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 24, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

fihs decadences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_mullet

quote:

The ancient Romans reared them in ponds where they were attended and caressed by their owners

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

season's skinless boneless are fine. I like them because they're less smokey than most dines. meat could be a little firmer, but I like the way the oil sort of oozes the 'dine meat.

poster above. maybe list the things this person can eat. would be easier.

I see mushrooms aren't on there. nor onions or garlic. looks like couscous is -relatively- low carb. make couscous either with or topped with onion and garlic toasted mushrooms then dump the 'dines and most of the oil on top of that. or fry the onions and musrooms and garlic together with spinach and then top with the 'dines. no vinegar, but if lemon juice is o.k. that tends to taste better anyway.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I just ate an anchovy for the first time last night and my life will never be the same. This is almost as life altering as the first time I masturbated while watching Street Sharks at the tender age of 13. Tinned seafood addiction will no doubt reduce me to a life of poverty and crime within months.

skip the downward spiral, steal a boat and a smoker now.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

are you drinking enough water with your 'dines?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

A green future depends on small fish.
Also a green salad.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

isaboo posted:

I hope these forums don't die

If I never again get the chance to say it, Thank you sardine friends.

even in the deepest pits of hell, the light of the 'dine shines.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sardines/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Peanut Butler posted:

It is nice of you to post an other sardines board but a site geared for hyper-monetization and a million little tricks to keep you scrollin and postin just isn't the same

i plan on going back to shouting about canfish at the entrance to an especially filthy alleyway

cannot wait forever for someone to make a dine thread discord. also after 1/2 an hour of playing with it, I'm not real sure I want to use discord for anything.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

let's do this fish

https://something-waffle.com/showthread.php?tid=22

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Peanut Butler posted:

It is nice of you to post an other sardines board but a site geared for hyper-monetization and a million little tricks to keep you scrollin and postin just isn't the same

i plan on going back to shouting about canfish at the entrance to an especially filthy alleyway

you gonna create the bnr 'dine thread or do you want me to do it?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

tomorrow I'm going to get up, have coffee, pick a bunch of roquette and eat it with the tin of KO skinless boneless the wife found when she was reorganizing the pantry

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ripen

ripen

r i p e n

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

poverty goat posted:

it's bullshit, his garum isn't fermented at all, but it did get me thinking the other day about how feasible it would be to microbrew some. With the right setup to control the vapors I bet you could get away with small quantities of rotting fish in a populated area without making anyone at ground level physically uncomfortable enough to spend the time figuring out where it's coming from.

throw this poo poo on your plants once or twice a month until the neighborhood builds up a tolerance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_emulsion

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

yeah, the grease congealing really makes it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you keep your sardines in the freezer?

yeah, doesn't everyone?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I have. it was that tin of bar harbor that was so bad I put it out for the raccoons

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there's something I can use harissa for other than merguez?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was watching a video on YouTube about shakshuka and reading this thread talking about fisherman's eggs.

What if....

We combine the two?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if they still have the flower brand moroccan sardines at fubonn you might want to try them just to marvel at the embalmed carrot slice in the can

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

Flower brand, you say?

I'll see if I can find them on my day off & report back.

if they do, they're in the weird tiny middle eastern/indian section that always gets moved around

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

they call me cheap

they call me easy

but they always come back to me

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

we always ate fresh oysters. smoked oysters are ok, but nowhere near as good as fresh.

oysters are kind of a treat thing or an otherwise not every day thing, dines are an everyday thing

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I have a growing apocalypse cache of seasons. I probably wouldn't even notice unless they ate 10 cans at a time

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'd say how loving awesome that is but you'd get mad

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there was an episode of teen titans go! about this. robin, who made the sandwich, had the sandwich stolen by a future version of himself. I seem to remember something about the sandwich being so good that it developed sentience too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man just eat the thing over the sink right after you make it. the "putting it in the fridge to crisp" thing will always lead to disaster