Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

artichoke hearts are an s-tier pizza topping too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

isaboo posted:

Good read, good 'dines, good job.

I still haven't tried Nuri. I've got 12 cans of Matiz arriving today though hell yeah :coolfish:

if you're procrastinating on your 'dine eatin', it better be because you're too busy writing

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

stand for what's right even if you stand alone

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

probably on a cracker or in a salad

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cat Hassler posted:

Man I’ve never eaten an oyster and I’m unsure how to start

get the small ones, japanese extra smalls, the place in coos bay calls them moon rocks. shuck it, split the shell open, try not to loose any of the juice, cut the foot on the bottom of the shell, scrape the meat off the top of the shell, put some lemon on it then put it in your mouth. you can chew it a little, but it's also fine to just swallow it whole

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you're eating them fresh and you're shucking them yourself, as you should be, don't eat the ones that have already opened. that's true for all shellfish but you seem inexperienced in these matters and I don't want you to die.

how to shuck. oyster knife in one hand, towel doubled up over the other. oyster goes on towel, knife goes into the little hole on the back of the oyster (the part of the shell that hinges, not the part that opens wide), usually angled up a little bit. put that knife in that oyster hole slowly and kinda jiggle/twist it around a little, when the oyster pops, shim the knife around the shell until the shell pops open fully. the oyster is attached to the shell by a foot in the inside bottom of the shell, cut that off

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the hypnospace outlaw spinoff, slayers x, has some vulgar anti sardine content. will be boycotting

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

beachcliff is like cheap beer. you hit a certain age and you're just too old for it.

the bigger concern, one of the thread commandments, is to not have someone pick up a can of, like, bumblebee in mustard, try it, determine that it's disgusting, then write off sardines entirely

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the best dine is a sprat. a riga gold sprat. the next best dine is what ever you can find or have on hand

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sprats and dines get real soft as they age. they don't get better. also check the tins and the dates, I had to throw out my entire stash of covid anchovies because the tins were bulging

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

another attack on the 'dine way of life

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

et the safe catch sardines before playing in the woods and they were very very good

et the polar sprats upon returning from the woods. they were also good

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if the crab is standing on top of a tuna, it is called a "hat trick" if the crab is standing on top of a salmon, it's called a "milwaukee hat trick". no one knows why this is

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you know what kind of seafood is good in water?

oysters. when they are fresh and alive and in their shell, partially submersed in their own brine

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

PokeJoe posted:

I had some cod liver and I gotta say, I didn't like it

you're supposed to boof it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

mellow corn is fine and produced under federal license

it doesn't really taste like whiskey but it's fine and it's totally perfectly fitting for a vienna sausage pate

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

returning triumphant from the woods I supped on a can of seasons, some yellow onion, half a garden tomato, a little garlic salt and some bernstein restaurant recipe italian dressing all barely contained within a hoagie roll

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you should go to the woods. that's were the trees are

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

had some humus on wasa crackers. think I will have some sardines on wasa crackers tomorrow

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

three tins in front of you, no labels. one is the can of riga sprats that will reveal the true face of sardine god, the other, bar harbor in maple syrup and beechcliff in mustard which will send you straight to sardine hell. choose wisely

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Soul Dentist posted:

The added pumpkin pie spices really throw that one over the top of revolting

y'all could've burned bar harbor down to the ground when they started making maple syrup dines but no you let that demon spawned tin grace store shelves and it opened a gaping maw to sardine hell which can now never be closed

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

anchovies, sardines, tuna and smoked oysters all come from the same plant, just different parts of it harvested at different times

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Hollismason posted:

So like how are smoked oysters and whats a real good brand?

they're like cooked really really oilly smokey oysters. a little rubbery

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Got one ton to try

this is a dedicated sardiner

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I made salmon cakes using the cheapest worst can of salmon from the grocery outlet. they were o.k.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Wendigee posted:

My parents made canned salmon patties and potato pancakes as our struggle meal growing up and I'll never forget the calcium crunch mixed with stinky fish.. shudder.

sooo stinky.

made my mouth kinda tingly too. I'm allergic to shrimp so maybe there was still some krill in it's belly

Weltlich posted:

what brand? I stopped making salmon cakes and started making mackerel cakes a couple years ago because canned salmon got to a price point I was unwilling to pay.

SEA RIPPLE ALASKA KETA SALMON

written just like that on the can

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 3, 2024

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ate sardines then went out and shot a gun. testosterone levels are just off the chart

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the mediterranean bachelor

cracker
tzatziki
kalamata olive
'dine

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

blur the plates

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

getting bpa poisoning just looking at that. trust fund hobos cookin' in the can

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Shooting Blanks posted:

According to Crown Prince, their oyster tins meet or exceed US federal food safety and purity standards. However, California has much stricter standards, so CP includes a Prop 65 (the relevant CA law) warning on all of their tins.

do they still meet the safety and purity standards after being heated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I guess if you're cooking oysters in a way named after a robber baron, the $20 tiny casserole dish is kinda appropriate