Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

AEMINAL posted:

Do you 'dine dads have any favorite sardine salad recipes?

I'm thinking feta cheese and tomatoes would go well but with em, but I suck at salad-making and could use some ingredients that would accent the 'dines nicely

I just make salad nicoise but use sardines instead of or along with anchovies and tuna. Someone told me putting cold sliced boiled potatoes in it is wrong but I don't care I like it that way. So, potatoes, greens, cold cooked green beans, tomato, olives, sliced onion, olive oil and vinegar with a little mustard. This stuffed in a roll makes a good sandwich too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Admiral Bosch posted:

I am disappointed in the taste of wild planet dines. Good size and texture but something seemed off. :/

I'll have to try those again soon, I used to really like them maybe something has changed.

Just had KO boneless/skinless "Spanish style" with chiles for breakfast, I didn't see they were boneless when I bought them. Pretty tasty though, 4 big fish, very firm and meaty, just the right amount of chile heat in the olive oil. Mild enough that I could give some to the dogs and not feel bad. I was still hungry but didn't have another can of the same style and switching to Riga sprats didn't sound good.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Geoff Zahn posted:

Hey Sardinians, what are the recommended brands of smoked oysters? I've only had Reese's but something tells me there are much better ones out there.

I've only ever seen around 4 brands (Reeses, Geisha, Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea) and they're all product of Korea with the same level of smoke in the same rectangular tin, the only difference I've seen is the oil used, cottonseed or soybean. If I could find the same oysters in olive oil I'd be happy. I like the tiny ones. I'm afraid of the Chinese ones, maybe unfairly - sorry China!

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

final2percent posted:

Another goon haiku first place victory!

Here was my winning submission:

Breaking metal chimes
Herald Kingly sardine feasts
Oil drops in the sink

Okay I was going to say all the haiku in the thread were real bad but this one is pretty good

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Admiral Bosch posted:

not at all BIG DICK BUTT gently caress, i just like the flavor of the spanish style, they're pretty dang great

Yeah the spanish style KO are hands down my favorite, although I don't go out of my way to buy boneless normally. If they did the same recipe with whole fish I'm sure I'd like them even more.

Not really eating a lot of sardines or any canned fish lately, been feasting on smelt (from god knows where, I miss the days of bringing home garbage cans full from the Manitowoc River run although I'm sure ecologically we're better off with less of them) and white suckers I dipnet from creeks around here during the spring run. I normally grind sucker meat into patties and panfry but this thread might inspire me to pickle or smoke some. If you want to panfry some little oily fish stop searching fruitlessly for sardines and get some smelts.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

the yeti posted:

Continuing this line of enquiry, Snow's minced clams, while not smoky and amazing, make for rad pasta with a bit of red sauce and a bit of basil. If relatively light on calories clams packed in water isn't your thing you could probably fix that by piling clam + sauce on a baguette and toasting brie or mozz over it :chef:

Snow's clams are really great, and this may be controversial but imo clams can easily be overwhelmed by a lot of tomato. Red clam sauce and manhattan chowder are recognizable as food and everything but the clams wind up being just little chewy nodules that taste like tomatoes, clearly inferior to white clam sauce or NE clam chowder. Now, if you simmer a big fat chunk of striped bass in garlicky clam broth with clams and shrimp and like one chopped tomato that's a different story.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Would eat. He's pretty good with a filet knife to get that much meat off a blue gill.

Easy on big ones like that with any practice at all. The little ones are good too, just fry them gutted and scaled instead of spending hours filleting them, the stabby dorsal and anal fins pull right out of the cooked fish and you can nibble the meat right off the bones.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

My kids went on a school trip to Spain and brought back a bunch of cans of "El Viejo Pescador" sardines, I was so proud of them. Haven't cracked one open yet.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

On a trip to the Asian market I got some cans of mackerel in black bean sauce among other things (mostly Sultan brand sardines which I'm sure have been talked about itt)

they're fantastic, almost chewy in texture from either frying or hot smoking, and the black bean sauce tastes like black bean sauce is supposed to, although oily of course. They had several brands of eel prepared the same way, which are probably very tasty but I tend to avoid eel blah blah sustainability. Going back to really stock up next week.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Iceberg is delicious, it has this subtle sweetness and great texture. Hate on. I'll buy it all for myself.

I like it too, on sandwiches and mixed with other salad stuff. Goons can be counted on to hate on iceberg, yellow mustard, and american cheese. They are all good.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

grill youre saelf posted:

I make a trip to mount horeb every year for the mustard museum to buy crazy mustards. (including mustards from europe! oh my!) Mount Horeb is also the troll capital of the world apparently....

it's in Middleton now, has been for several years. I'm a dirty hotdog eating american and not a rich one by any means, and I had eight kinds of mustard on hand last time I checked. Yellow american mustard has its uses, mustard snobs are the worst kind of food snobs, worse than chocolate snobs even.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

You caught me in my lie. I haven't gone for several years :(

haha it's okay we have to try to be interesting without much time to make long posts, god knows I know.

edit: to prolong the yellow mustard derail - make a crusty smashed burger in a skillet, slap it on a nice bun with dill pickle slices, a slice of raw vidalia onion, and yellow mustard, nothing else. Come back and tell me yellow mustard is no good.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 29, 2018

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

lost my retainer posted:

Today for lunch I will feast on this with some fancy bread. Maybe some mackerel fillets too if I'm greedy hungry.

Those are some fancy lookin dines man, I tell you what

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Once in a while mornay sauce is nice on fish or lobster/shrimp/crab, but yeah it's easy to overdo it.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Mackerel in black bean sauce comes in small sardine-size cans and looks pretty similar, but no bones. I like it but oddly I don't get hungry for it very often.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

On my last trip to the asian grocery I picked up one of the 15oz oval cans of Searam sardines in tomato sauce with chile, from Ecuador. I'm curious as hell but also kind of wondering when I'll be hungry enough to put a decent dent in a pound of canned fishies.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Okay I was out in the cold for a couple hours which made me feel like coming in and eating a pound of 'dines. Searam brand from Ecuador, big oval can, packed in tomato sauce "with chile".
Big meaty pacific sardines, a lot like the ones Wild Planet packs in olive oil. Not packed real tight so lot of the weight was actually the pretty decent tomato sauce, only a slight hint of chile. Not bad for two and a half bucks.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

poo poo, I just ate a friggin pound of pacific sardines I am a monster. Shouldn't be hard to avoid them from now on though.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I got some chicken of the sea for my cats and tried one, they're awful and the cats wouldn't even eat them. I replaced their lovely dines with riga sprats and they went nuts on them.

For those having issues cooking grits or polenta, do it in the microwave, it's so easy. I like to let them get cold and firm up so I can make slices to broil with parmesan, and I nuke them right in the glass dish I chill in.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Tom Gorman posted:

fish sauce is one of those items where if you're in the zone, it's so good.

but if you reject the sauce and don't try, you're missing out. you need to put in some effort to realize the greatness of fish sauce.
I always keep a bottle of red boat on hand, even people who are babies about fishy flavors love nuoc cham. And let's not forget oyster sauce (the good poo poo where oyster extract is the first listed ingredient), shrimp paste, salted shrimp, dry scallops....

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

People eat carp???? I don't have any qualms with catfish or the like...but carp? and people BUY it??

we only have carp in the new world because euro immigrants missed them like crazy, despite a wealth of native fish. Smoked carp I can turn out and it's no poo poo fantastic, the tricks to making it good any other way elude me.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Carp talk has got me interested in targeting them when fishing. I'm in Tennessee. They're invasive here, but I haven't seen any evidence of them in the lakes and rivers I've fished. Do you fish for them the same way as catfish, stink bait sunk to a pretty low depth? I'm used to crappie and trout fishing (with some smallmouth bass incidental catches).

Bait should be on or near bottom, most people use corn or sweet/corny/starchy dough baits. If you search for "boilie recipes" you'll find hundreds. Carp have very sensitive mouths so the barb of the hook should be inside the bait. Lots of people broadcast bait material on the bottom where they're going to fish to attract more fish and get them feeding together.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

165 F, but you will probably just know it's done by the look of it if it's thin like trout.

Also, brine that poo poo for an hour before smoking. http://ruhlman.com/2009/01/brine/

I will brine salmon for cold smoking, but any fish that gets hot smoked gets dry salted (the cure can of course have whatever else you want in it too). After about an hour when the salt is absorbed it goes into the smoker. Try it and you'll never go back.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Brolander posted:

a coworker said i should try Blind Robins. anyone ever had these things, heard about this?

They're dried salted smoked herring fillets, kind of like a fish landjager. The ones I've seen are shelf-stable, sold in small portions in vacuum sealed clear bags, and quite salty.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

poverty goat posted:

I;m thinking about thos Dines. will they truly be worth all the 5s?

In my experience any canned fish that's fried and packed in black bean sauce is good. Usually pretty salty, often fried to the point where it's kind of dried out and tough, but still good.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I make salmon patties/burgers pretty often with canned salmon. Salmon, egg, very coarse saltine cracker crumbs (that is important), diced onion that gets sweated in a little butter so it's not crunchy, a little lemon juice, black pepper, and worcestershire. Fry golden brown and serve with mayo or hollandaise if you feel fancy.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Big Beef City posted:

Sorry, this is off topic, but..
Part of the problem with bow fishing carp is that it's 'easy' at least as far as firing a cross bow at a fat carp in shallow water is.

There's also a LOT of carp. And so people think of them as loving up the ecosystem and "I will go fire some cross bow bolts into them".

Which they do, for fun. ... But then never actually get the fish or the bolts.
So what you get are hundreds of dead fish rotting in water that kill hundreds of other good fish and destroy water quality plus God knows how many cross bow bolts, associated plastic, etc.

That's the problem. Not so much that the carp are dead. It's that dozens to hundreds are left to rot in otherwise fresh waterways with garbage sticking out of them.

Just be smart out there, goons!

That's weird as hell, everybody I know who bowfishes (don't know anyone who uses a crossbow) uses a special heavy and long fiberglass arrow with a barbed head (they do not come out of the carp without some work) and a strong braided line that feeds off of a bow-mounted reel. With this gear a lost fish or arrow is quite rare. I know some people who are fishing for panfish or catfish throw "trash fish" like carp onto the shore (I do not call any fish trash, not even invasive species), but among bowfishers who are only targeting carp I've never seen it. Lots of carp fishers hot smoke them, only a relative few know any other way to cook them, but many also take them home to bury in vegetable gardens for fertilizer. In places where there are shitloads of carp some municipalities even put out special trash cans for dead carp that no one wants.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I bought a couple packs of these stocking up on European stuff at a local sausage place. It's barrel cured herring cryopacked with a very small amount of canola oil, and they have to be refrigerated. It was packed in June and the shop folks assured me that it reliably keeps very well if kept cold.

I had some plain, and some on a roll with vidalia onion and dill pickles. Worth trying I guess but I'll wait until I'm in a herring-eating land to try it again, it was weird in a hard to define way that I'm sure has something to do with being in a package for 4 months. I love fishy-tasting fish but it definitely does NOT taste like raw slightly salty herring as I expected, the cure changes it quite a bit.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

oopsie rock posted:

:( :(

Season Brand, Skinless & Boneless in 100% olive oil. Only one was odd-looking.

They didn't smell or taste funny, and I didn't eat more than a few bites, so I'm hoping I'll be fine...but now I'm mainly just looking for anecdata from others.

I've gotten a couple like that over the years, and I just figured there are places where people eat some kinds of fish guts and all so no biggie. If the rest of the fish was safe the innards should be too, although some parts are kind of bitter.

I finally found a bakery that makes baguettes with the proper light texture and thin crispy crust, so I made a big jar of quick-pickled carrots and daikon and am living the dream with an occasional sardine or smoked oyster bahn mi.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Honky Dong Country posted:

Fish/oyster sauces are amazing and I get a hearty lol when I hear somebody get grossed out by them while also loving foods that contain them all their lives without knowing it.
I make wings baked in oyster sauce for pot lucks sometimes and people will gnaw them down to polished bone but there's always someone who decides they don't like them after eating ten because they found out about the oyster sauce.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I get how the smell of fish sauce might throw someone at first if they knew nothing about it or had had a bad anchovy experience, but oyster sauce just smells and tastes like salty savory soyish ketchup. A negative reaction to it seems to be 100% based on the name which strikes me as weird.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Keith Atherton posted:

Hell yeah, especially if those are black pepper triscuits

Should be a lovely domestic canned beer instead of an ipa but otherwise solid dine-ing

I bought a box of black pepper triscuits and they were unbearably salty, is it my taste buds or what?

Just bought 18 cans of Crown Prince smoked oysters for $42, they're good but honestly no better than other Korea-packed oysters. I thought the CP, packed in olive oil, would taste better than the ones in cottonseed oil but no. I like the brands that have the little tiny ones the best.

I wanted to order smoked oysters from St. Jean's in Nanaimo B.C. for Christmas but with shipping it was too rich for my blood. Looks like people like them a lot though.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

I looked this up and I'm gonna have to get me some of those. The mussels too. But looks like they're all sold out. How much of a hit was shipping?

Pretty sure it was going to be something like $78 for a case of 12 70g cans, plus $30 flat rate for shipping. If I'd have had someone to split a bigger order with to cut shipping cost I might have done it, but total cost of $60/pound sounded crazy.

pahuyuth posted:

I made Nanaimo Bars for Christmas and they were very rich and delicious and pretty easy :D First timers are usually pretty impressed, especially here in the deep south where they are basically unknown.

I once made a bunch of those for my son's track team pot luck, I thought they were too sweet but I will make them again with less sugar. The kids inhaled them and wanted more.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 6, 2020

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I think the key to the best fried smelt is don't go overboard with breading or batter. A light coat of either is fine, but I like them best with just seasoned flour or fine cornmeal.

Thinking about buying some canned cod livers, I'll have to search the thread to see if they were discussed yet.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

NmareBfly posted:

Quarantine prep complete

I just got a twelver of the Santo Amaro tomato sauce variety, they're pretty decent.

I've been trying to find any kind of fish with black bean sauce (mackerel packed like that rules) so I just bought some fried dace with black beans at the Asian Mart - not great, just very chewy skin and meat fried to shoe leather and some big bones.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I don't think there any really sustainable fisheries for eels anymore, they're hosed globally. The saury in miso looks good.

In other news, I now have big Crown Prince smoked oysters in olive oil and petite ones from Reese in cottonseed oil, the little ones are much nicer and I will stick with those from now on.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

MetaJew posted:

This is how I've always eaten them. Learned it from my dad. He wasn't around much, but I did get a liking for canned fishes and oysters from him. :smith:

Semi-related: What is the responsible way to dispose of the oil that my dines or oysters are packed in? I usually just put the tins in a produce bag, tie it in a knot and toss it-- but I would feel less lovely if I could toss the can in the recycling, also.

When I don't eat it or put it on the dog's kibble I wipe the can out with something absorbent I've picked out of the trash and then a spray of a degreasing cleaner and another wipe before recycling (you could use a new paper towel if you're not weird like me). I've always lived in houses with septic tanks/fields and had NO GREASE DOWN THE DRAIN OR WE ALL DIE drilled into me at an early age.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Android Apocalypse posted:

Latest haul from the nearby Asian grocery store. Fried baby clams with chili, mechado(?)-flavored tuna, surmullets.

Last night I had some canned herring in a dill herb sauce over fava bean leaves & carrots as a salad. No pic but believe me when I say it was pretty good.

I wonder what's in that surmullet can, the picture on it is some kind of triggerfish - not that necessarily means much.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Android Apocalypse posted:

Apparently surmullets is a type of fish. Even though it was packed in oil it was dry & almost jerky-like in texture.

Pretty tasty. I'll pick it up again & have it on toast. Would be at home on a charcuterie board .

Right I know it's fish, but a surmullet would be a goatfish, family mullidae. I just wondered why a Chinese brand chose that name when it makes me think more of Mediterranean species than any Pacific ones. And then the picture of an unrelated triggerfish on the label. Triggerfish are choice food fish, I just wondered if "surmullet" is used to convey a high-value product or what. I know I'm over-examining it I have time to kill this week.

The Romans valued red mullet more for the interesting color changes they undergo while dying than for their flavor. So you'd serve them live/dying to give your guests an exquisite aesthetic experience rather than just food. I've never seen one but I have fished for Mahi-Mahi and the way they practically glow while alive and go dull when they die might be similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Cod liver report - I got a few cans of Riga Gold brand which reviews rated as highly as any.

Sadly, I am not a fan. Imagine soft greasy fish jello, the oily richness combined with springy mushy texture was just too much. The flavor was okay but not enough to keep me on board. The oil, which I guess isn't added but comes out of the liver as the can is cooked in the retort, was better than the solids and I dipped a few crackers in it.