Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm just getting into tinned fish and tried some King Oscar plain ol sardines, and they were great. Had them on saltines with Texas Pete.

Is there a good way to trial a bunch of stuff I might like? Or should I just like buy whatever looks cool

edit-- drat that link above has a bunch of "ten tins to try and why" lists. score

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also RTG is about 30 minutes from where I live :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just place a $50 mystery box order with RTG. Can't wait to see what I get

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
First mystery box from RTG came, I'm super excited to try them

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Tried the Fangst Regnbue Ørred smoked trout... Holy poo poo.

Had it just with buttered toast. It's like you went to a restaurant and ordered a fancy trout meal and got it canned, it's so firm and, I dunno, entree-ish. It would be excellent on a plate alone with a side dish.

A little salty with a smoke that reminds me of pipe tobacco smoke, and subtle herby notes. I don't get any juniper. Like I said, firm texture that I would have never guessed was canned. A little too salty for my taste, but I think using in a dish with heavier creamier elements would round that out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It sounds scammy, but Dan got back to me like 10 minutes after I ordered, and wrote me a personal email asking me about my tinned fish journey, and even invited to his Slack channel. We emailed back and forth a few times, nice guy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
They have a bunch of payment options!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah kippers and cholula own so much.

Y'all weren't kidding, I'm having kippers with chipotle Cholula now and it kicks rear end.

(Polar Kipper Snacks fwiw, haven't had any others)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Scornful Sexbot posted:

I am dangerously low on hot sauce to put on my canned fish. Is there a website similar to RTG but for hot sauce? I’d prefer to support an independent sauce monger if I can

Heatonist probably. They got big because of the Hot Ones show but they're still a company run by a few people.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Spicy Nuri is the god tier dine

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's tuna :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

isaboo posted:

EAT THE drat BONES

STRAIGHT OUTTA THE CAN OVER THE KITCHEN SINK

This is the way

Chopstick em into yo mouth right over the drain