Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://my.mixtape.moe/fqdmcb.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
He's a weird bi mental patient as evidenced chiefly by the fact that he's a pastry chef

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I made escargot but didn't take any pictures because I posted a tomato thread that people were rude in.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fish ball soup

Start to finish can be as short as 25m

Fish balls are both a French and Asian thing so maybe you should try it

A fish ball is a meat ball but it's made out of fish

You can buy the Asian ones if you have an asian market they look like this

The ones like that are pretty dense and are good deep fried, grilled, often served with what you can find in stores as Sweet Thai Chili Sauce, or in soups

The homemade ones are not as dense and will be more frenchy

How to make it

Buy some fish. You can use any fish but the normal one is cheap white fish. I got 2 lbs of Swai fillet from walmart.

Dry the fish out. I don't mean make jerky but if there's too much water they don't hold together. Dont' try adding eggs and poo poo.

What I did was take out the 2lbs of Swai fillet (there were like 5 in the bag, I got them frozen adn put them in hot water in the sink for like 10m to thaw them) and put them on paper towel then press on the top (gently it's fish)( with another paper twoels good enough, then salt and pepper them

To make them into a meat ball you need to distrub and rub together the fish proteins so they coagulate a bit, you either do this by putting them all ona big cutting board and chopping at them with a cleaver for a while (maybe 10 minutes, it's a pain in the rear end) until you get paste or you just do what I did and put them in a food processor and pulse -- they will first get cut down then form a ball that looks excatlly like what happens when you make pasta dough in a food processor (look it up on youtube if you don't know what I mean), anyway you drop balls of this goop into the soup and it makes fish balls

How to make soup

I fried up one big onion. French people say no color on the onion because they love to surrender and onions are already white. I like to color my onions for soups expecially if I'm not adding other sweeteners. After the onion is done I added two cloves of crushed garlic (don't do it too soon or you won't taste it and also maybe will burn it, burnt garlic tastes l,ike poo poo) and 8 cups of water and Better Than Bullion clam base (my favorite shelf stable seafood flavored stock base -- you could make your own out of fish skeletons and shrimp shells if you worked at a restaurant and had that poo poo handy anyway but I don't also that's a lot more work). Bring it to a boil. HAve half a napa cabbage shredded up nearby (or any other vegetable, napa is good because its crinkly so it maintains some texture if you put it in the fridge and eat it over a few days like I am doing).

When the onion / garlic / stock is bubbling nicely dump in the cabbage. The fish will cook for 10m so will the cabbage so that's fine

The techniqaue for adding the fish is to grab a pile of it off the cutting board with your left hand and then you squeeze your fingers a bit from pinky ring middle pointer and a blob of fish will emerge at the top. Your right hand you get wet (the fish paste will stick aggressively to your hand if youdon't) so leave the sink running and anyway you pull off the blob of fish, close your right hand to make a rough ball (don't try to make a smooth ball unless you're gay) and drop that into the bubbling stock (not hard boiling). Do this will all the fish and you'll get the picture I have. Add some chili flakes if you want (I used Korean gochuijuang whatever it is because I like the taste but you do what you want)

Also I put some coriander powder in the onions when they were frying because it's kinda citrusy and I did'nt want to pay for any other citrus for it

Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover, 10m, done

To make it more french use a much stronger homemade broth and pike and add some cream, but why do that, just leave it like I did, the French are idiots

If you have kids to feed add noodles (a thin egg noodle would be fine, you could also add rice noodles but be careful those overcook almost instantly so study up on how to do that first) and double the water volume that will shut them up

And if you want thicken the stock with a starch slurry, people like that

raton fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 5, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange posted:

Tiny ones are the best.

Agree sometimes the big ones have a gut full of algae and also by their nature they're like 75% gut

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes the big ones are okay but sometimes they catch them after oyster thanksgiving

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tnuctip posted:

Had a crazy idea. Are dine tamales a thing?

If you steam your tamales outside maybe

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Tapatio got vinegar and water in there I would buy the normal ones and put Tapatio on myself after opening

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

I wish you could buy whatever the mediterranean ones are flavored with in a jar, i’d just drink that stuff

like i’m sure you could mush up some olives or whatever

Closest is tapenade. The trader joes store brand one is good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The best one is from Jamaica it's got a cartoon cat on it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They have it in Target in places where there's black people sometimes

It's purestrain artificial but the sweet v ginger balance is perfect

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also if you go in the mixers section instead of the soda section you can find a nice firey one by Goslings

There are two of them a milder one and a stronger one but they usually have both so you can figure it out, you want the firey one obv

The honky rear end Walmart near here has the Goslings ones

Also there's an Australian brand that comes in a stubby that's pretty good (Bundings or something like that)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUIET43uEEU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I knew this chick from Guyana skin black as a car tire all she talk about was white dick, money, and mint or ginger teas

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If I was a fish in there I'd spend the rest of the day trying to eat those little fuckers

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't even stop to poo poo I'd just push it out 95% of the way and drag it around goldfish style till it broke off on its own

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BaconCopter posted:

drat that salad looks fantastic.

PRoblem with that salad is that it looks too healthy so like at 9pm the next day you have to get four Burger King hot dogs to balance it back out

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Gorman posted:

I even tried giving them to the raccoons but they weren't having it.

Hoely moley

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

withak posted:

TBF mackerel is one of the fishiest fish that ever fished. If you aren't into intense fish smells then mackerel isn't for you. Also, if you aren't into intense fish smells then GTFO.

Mackerel is the best fish for the grill imo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fisermen can get pretty lazy about what they do and don't like when there's an ocean of it there for them to pick through. You should give it another chance.

Like in the old west days people would shoot a buffalo and the only thing they'd eat is the tongue. Now a tongue is probably the best part of the buffalo but that wasnt' really why they only ate the tongue, they only ate the tongue because it's the muscle the requires the least amount of work to get off the animal. That mackerel ripes up quick doesn't mean it isn't amazing grilled.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

sardines are nowhere near as good as kippers.

there, i said it. now debate me :smugdog:

I feel like kippers are trying to fit in and are hiding something whereas the sardine is honest about being an oily fish.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I love turkey meat

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Dill rules shitbird!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Robin Williams posted:

What kind of sauce can I put on sardines.

Say I wanted to eat them on toast with some marinated beans, warmed up under a grill, but also wanted a sauce and I'm not sure melted cheese would work well.

What are some options?

They have a lot of oil so any vinegar based sauce will work, with the go-to sauce being a hot sauce of some kind

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Weltlich posted:

Over TGiving I discovered that a mixture of cranberry sauce and horseradish was also a fine accompaniment to canned fishes. Put a fish on a cracker or small piece of bread, and a small spoon of the cranberry/horseradish and it was basically a sweet/savory/spicy combination that hit all the right buttons.

:chloe:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Imo you can put cheese on seafood but it's a disgusting, horrible idea 99 times out of 100

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
And the tuna melt

That's all I can come up with tbh

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Cream cheese and lox!

That don't count as cheese

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I ate one of these big snails before but I forgot I ate it until I saw a video today

The video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YR6s-x2KZk

If you wanted to make it but didn't have a giant snail you could use octopus tentacle or maybe squid to get something similar, although the snail had a sweet flavor to it that octopus and squid don't

She got other videos, lotta seafood stuff, if you want to make weird food in a way which you aren't accustomed to

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I grilled some fresh sardines this summer and scaling and gutting them was a pain in the rear end but whatever

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Okay

The ones I had were about seven or eight inches long and I was feeding them to other people and didn't want to risk bad gut tastes so I gutted them, don't know if it was necessary

I left the heads on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The crown in SeaCrown is slang for butthole