Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Wife got me a new cookbook! :coolfish:

She's a kipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Last night, I went to my brother in law's new bar. We had some tinned fish snacks along with our cocktails, which were served with a loaf of crusty warm bread, some grainy mustard, and a few pickled peppers.

I tried the mackerel, which was fine, but the one I found to be most interesting that I had not had before were Lulas these little squid stuffed with rice and spices. Very yummy. I have had Nuri before, and I don't usually eat tuna due to it not being sustainable, but I ended up snagging a sampler pack as I didn't know if any of these were particularly hard to get:

Doobie says Good N Messy, eat it with a fork:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Edit: answer below

Planet X fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 14, 2020

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Flint Ironstag posted:

Do you have any idea where he got the Lulas? A quick search has not revealed anything. Those sound really good to someone who already loves calamari.

Reporting back, he says they're available here:

https://portugaliamarketplace.com/

Specifically,

https://portugaliamarketplace.com/collections/squid

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
In laws live in coastal Maine half the year, brought me a goodie:

Not canned, but relevant to shared interests in this thread. Haven't tried them yet, as still eating through the fresh smoked salmon and trout I got at the Baltimore farmers market this weekend.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I was at the co op last night, ordering a cut of meat for Christmas dinner. While at the meat counter, I stepped over to see what was in the fish case: Fresh smelt!

I hadn't seen it before, and went back and forth on getting some. I chatted with the guy at the counter briefly who told me it was new. I decided to get some later this week maybe, and to shop around some more. After a few minutes, I went back and said to the guy in the Space Jam hat "I;m thinkin bout thos smelts" and got a handful of it to fry up today for lunch.

A closer look, they have nice color

Did a cornmeal, s&p, paprika cumin and cayenne mix and headed outside to fry em up so I don't stink up the house and splatter up the kitchen too much but it's 40ish F and pretty windy so I had a hard time keeping the pan hot. Dog is inside chillin

Ended up finishing them in the toaster oven under a broiler to get some good crunch and color. Wife had come down before I started and made some guac for lunch, so that went perfectly with them. Used a squeeze of lime and a sprinkling of sea salt. Would definitely smelt again but maybe not in the middle of winter.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 22, 2020

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Yooper posted:

My dad worked for a company that made fish cleaning machines and they'd haul out a smelt machine

What did this look like and how did it work?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Snack time

Edit: not pictured - Tapatio

Planet X fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 14, 2021

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Howd you do that? Sharp knife and patience?

Market had some fresh sardines the other day but I'm going to wait for summer so I can grill em or something.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
nice

I had cous cous dines balsamic and artichoke hearts all mixed up w some roasted red pepper and tomato

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Usually I default to dines in olive oil as I dont trust whatever sauce they come in and I sauce them up myself.

Doc said I'm a little high (heh) on the LDL so I gotta up my dine intake so that's what I'm'a'doin

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Radio Nowhere posted:

I have that book on my wish list, any good?

I have it. It is. I have yet to make any recipes out of it, but it's a nice book to have on the shelf.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
GOOD

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I just noticed that dog in the last picture and I hope he got a taste

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

how should I eat tinned mussels?

Funny you say this, as I was about to post about it.

A local grocer carries Matiz products, which are tinned seafood: Mackerel, Sardines, and so on. The sardines are HUGE, but I also got a can of the mussels.

Often times I throw together a mediterranean cupboard type of thing for lunch, so I:

Boiled some pasta noodles

While the noodles were boiling, I put some olive oil in a nonstick and I think

- sweated some onion in there, followed by
- some chopped up canned artichoke
- chopped canned roasted red pepper
- a few leftover capers (which im not crazy about but it fit the bill here)
- some red pepper flake
- the mussels
-S&P

cooked that, then put in some lemon zest

Dumped some of the water from the pasta pan into the nonstick, squeezed the lemon over it, cooked it down for a minute or two then dumped it over the noodles and tossed together. Put a hunk of butter in there and that was it

I recommend this as an easy approach to any tinned fish. Add garlic if you want, I just forgot this time

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Keith Atherton posted:

Yeah this basic recipe is super adaptable! Just make sure to have the aromatics and long noodles. I think garlic is key and a finish with white wine in a really hot pan for 20 seconds adds a lot of flavor

Ah, that's the ticket, white wine! The recipe I quoted is a take off of a Cook's Illustrated tuna recipe I used to use, and I knew there was something missing, so thanks.

A tip from me: I buy those little (slightly larger than an airplane bottle) 4 packs of Sutter Home or Woodbridge Chardonnay to keep in the cupboard - this way when you want to use white wine in a sauce, you don't have to open up a whole standard wine bottle, the little bottles are just the right amount for a reduction and a quick dadswig

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What am I going to drink while I'm cooking then?

the other three bottles of Sutter home

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Fisherman's eggs for lunch here. Man the Matiz sardines are huge :eyepop: so be ready for that if you crack a can.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
If you find them anywhere, holler at your crew because I've not found those squid anywhere else but that site, and they're pretty expensive for what they are.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Matiz dines are gigantic. I like their mussels. I have a can of their mackerel.

Bonus: Was on a conference call today and showed off the tin fish collection much to coworker (virtual) retching.

gottem :smug:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Is the link above essentially the place to buy tinned fish that aint Amazon?

That stuffed squid we chat about came from https://portugaliamarketplace.com/

Worth compiling a list of online shops, or is rainbowtomatoesgarden the one stop shop?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Hey thanks for the post on the cheap dines. I usually don't buy below KO save for seasons and your writeup confirms my decision.

I am tempted though to get a can of those bumblebee mustard ones. They're like the PBR of dines I guess.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I had Coles Mackerel for dinner tonight in a thrown together fridge salad thing. It was fine.

I want to splurge a bit and do an order at https://tincanfish.com/ but could use some help - I'm tempted to do the random sampler pack, but if the Jupiter mackerel is a forum favorite, I would be down for getting a six of that. A lot of their samplers are sold out, so the random one I may be taking a chance on - although I'm nearly certain I wouldn't be disappointed in any of it.

Ive had the minerva tuna and I think a local store carries bela, so I'm not really looking at those but suggestions welcome.

I had smoked oysters once and it didnt sit well with my stomach, but am willing to try them again. May stick with smoked mussels, those are great.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I ended up with Jupiter mackerel and some octopus

Camping goon you're on the right track but take a small bottle of hot sauce and you're good

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah I was thinking if you're gonna dump the oil from the can, don't do that in bear country

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Andos El Pantos posted:

IMO Ritz are too cumbly, I like a crunchier cracker like triscuits or wheat thins when toast isn't available.

True, I like triscuits for sardines. Wheat thins are a bit sweet, and Ritz are for EZ cheese

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Giant Eagle had KOs buy 5 get em for a buck fiddy. I got 5.

Went to the local co op and got Belas in oil and some Matiz in piri-piri. I usually just go for only oil packed dines but figure what the heck

Tincanfish order comes this week 5x Jupiter mackerel and 5x Octopus

:getin:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Tincanfish trip report:

Had a mediterranean style dinner with the wife. Put out some small bites, crackers, tinned fish, a little wine

Jupiter Mackerel was great. Would be a good intro for someone that didn't like tinned fish. Fillets.

Octopus was just so-so. Wife wouldn't eat it because of how it looked, but when I drained the can, I thought it was water as the olive oil was so thin and watery as opposed to the mackerel. Didn't really taste like much. I'll go through the cans I have, but will have to flavor it up with some oil and acid. I figure octopus just doesn't have that much flavor to begin with as compared to oily fish, but there you go.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Lunch mush, run what you got sorta thing:

Maitz Peri peri dines
half an avocado
dried shallots
some red korean pepper flake
S&P
a scoop of red pepper hummus
last squeeze of an old lemon in the fridge
dried cilantro
sherry vinegar - local fancy stuff, makes a huge difference

Had it on a really nice crust of wheat bread. I hear the dog in there lickin the spatula that I stuck in the dishwasher door as I type this

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Does hmart usually carry Riga? I don't need an excuse to go over there but will if they have em

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Yooper posted:

Work lunch.

Came in a TinCanFish pack a month or two ago. Mussels in spicy pickled sauce. A tough of heat, some pepper, and a decent texture. No rubberiness or crunchy bits. Surprisingly good. Would eat again, over brown rice this would be pretty awesome.

Nice. I had some leftover farro and some collards that the neighbor gave me, so when I reached into the tinned fish library for a selection today, I chose the Matiz mussels so thanks for the inspiration pal

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Hey yall

Yesterday was tinned fish for lunch and for dinner.

Lunch was a standard cupboard-and-fridge whatever thing where I had some chopped up spinach, onion, threw in some chicken broth, boiled some noodles and threw in some octopus. Not bad.

Dinner was a childhood classic: Salmon cakes. Big can of salmon, old bay, panko, dried herbs, egg, green onion, s&p, etc. Butternut squash puree and canned green beans on the side. Wife made a sriracha / mayo / cilantro aioli for em

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
YEAH BUDDY

Was at the co op fish counter this week and there's the mackerel. I bought one cause yall know how we do. $1.40!

Rinsed, dried, oiled, grilled

Ate it with some sriracha aioli

Sorry the images are so big, but figured I'd want yall to see that grilled, crunchy goodness.

Would definitely do this again. Flesh was meaty and rich, not fishy, most of the skin was crispy and the little bones were crunchy and the large ones easily avoided

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Ill bring the room back up.

Wife got me this awesome ornament for Christmas.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Stunk up the kitchen last night with garlicy fishermans eggs fritatta thing. Found some chopped up fresh lemongrass in the back of the fridge, threw than in along with some noodles.

What yall doin

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
you drat right

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Woah you're getting mighty fancy there pal but I see the sink in the background so come on through

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I love the Coors Light mixed in there to keep it real :)

Man all of that sounds so good

My wife makes a pickle with fennel, peppercorn, orange rind and I forget what else. We take a can of smoked herring / kippers and cream those in with some butter and smear it on a cracker and put the pickle on top

All aboard the pickle train :bandwagon:

Planet X fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 8, 2022

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Soul Dentist posted:

I love sardines as much as anyone here but something about sardine salad seems... too much for me. That said I have a ton of herring in cream sauce in my fridge now so I'm sure I'd like it

Yeah get a citrusy vinaigrette on it, you'll be fine. You dont have to dump the dine oil into the salad, I usually dont to get a little cleaner flavor (ie i drain the can oil and make my own dressing using good olive oil and citrusy vinegars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah my wife has a Mediterranean dish that she did a while back, I can check. It's, IIRC,

Tuna
Canellini beans
Lemon juice and or zest
chopped parsley
I think some red onion
S&P
Good olive oil

You have this over chunks of toasted baguette

Edit: This might not be fancy enough but it's pretty and colorful :unsmith:

Planet X fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 27, 2022