Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
A fine meal that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Get you some

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah Matiz fan here. Cockles are ok but I feel best belong in pasta or chowder.

Give them a go and let us know what you think.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I like Yellowbird sriracha lately. I mean, I have a ton of hot sauces, but that's been a standout for me. Sambal oolek is just the best, I think.

Anyway, my brother in law sent me these. I opened up the oysters and let me tell you, they're seriously good. Not cheap though:

Wife and I had tinned fish, scrabble and cocktails for Christmas. Jupiter Mackerel, the aforementioned oysters and..Bela dines. Figs, roasted potatoes, balsamic mustard, dried apricots.

Wheat thins :smug:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah me too, actually. Was mixing it up a bit, old school because mom always had wheat thins around so I bought a box

Makes it hard to eat dines on a tiny cracker like that, so you gotta either go smaller bite or you put the dine on 2 of em like its a 2 paper joint lol

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

The Saucer Hovers posted:

la panzanella mini coccantini for lyfe

Woah those can hold a whole big fat sardine :coolfish:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

flashy_mcflash posted:

Not recently but my dad used to make them a lot when I was a kid. Rub a little sea salt and lemon on them (we'd buy a big bag of frozen ones) and whatever other seasoning and just grill. Super easy. He'd usually make them on one side of the grill when he'd be grilling other stuff as kind of an appetizer/snack and we'd eat them straight off there.

This. You can do the same with mackerel, it grills really well and with some citrus juice (or some kind of acidity) as above, it's great. Get that grill nice and hot and clean / oiled so you get a good char and the fish won't stick.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Wife got me this for valentines day. She's a kipper. :unsmith:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I got second place a few years ago and they asked me if I wanted a red hat or a black apron.

I chose the apron.

FYI I had Bela codfish last night "portuguese style", whatever that means. I don't recommend it - it wasn't smoked, wasn't packed in oil and just had a really neutral taste to it. Of course, crackers, hot sauce, pickles, lemon, etc picked it up, but I don't know that I'd get it again. Just wasn't much to it, flavor wise.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Where did you read this?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Dines on homemade pizza Saturday night washed down with red wine :getin:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah sardines on the pizza was definitely experimental and unplanned. We were late having dinner, so we opened up a can to munch on while the pizzas were being prepared then ended up throwing the few left in the can onto the last pizza for fun. Wasn't gross but also isn't something we're likely to do again.

I'd normally never put fish with cheese, but mozzarella is pretty neutral and the crispiness of the crust offset the texture of the sardines, and a dollop of sriracha rounded it out.

Treecko posted:

Probably do eggs, tomato, onion and kippers, I know the baby will eat it with me.

Yes, do this. I assume you know about fishermans eggs, thats a great option.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried the expensive Fishwife stuff and they aren't worth it.

Smoked Trout: it's super dry with a tiny bit of olive oil in the can. The flavor is nice but it tastes more like a fish jerky.

Salmon x Fly By Jing: Moist and delicious but also mega salty.

Conclusion: neither of them are worth $14 per can. That's like more than fancy restaurant pricing where you get an 8oz salmon and sides for ~$30. Go to a normal restaurant for even cheaper.

I was going to post something similar. My brother in law and his wife were in town several weeks back, and they brought a can of Salmon x Fly By Jing chili crisp flavor. Gorgeous packaging, and yes, great to support a small woman owned business that sources from local, sustainable fisheries within the US. That's not going to be cheap, but I did a double take when I saw the $18 price tag on it. It's just too much to pay for a can of tinned fish.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yeah I'd like to know too. The Nuri ones I have are stuffed with rice and ... squid bits I think. Where'd you get those?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I am on vacation and did some snorkeling...

... I swam with (near) sardines.

Some swim with turtles, rays, dolphins. Nope, not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Just discovered Triscuit tadziki. Good with a dine