Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Where do you get sardines that still have the heads attached? Like, is there a term for it? I love King Oscar Mediterranean Style sardines and eat them a couple of times a week, but I want something that freaks out my co-workers even more.

Sardines are cool because instead of getting a can of mashed up mystery meat like with most canned fish products, it's actually like eating a fish. But it's still cheap and canned! Amazing!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just opened my Christmas gifts (we did our Christmas early so people with jobs could attend) and I got a box full of King Oscar sardines and kipper snacks!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So are "skinless & boneless" sardines basically really small fish fillets?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Are smaller sardines like regular King Oscars gutted, or is it like the bones in that everything is too small to matter? They don't seem to be cut along the belly, but maybe they can pull everything out the end when they remove the head. I've never cleaned a fish myself.

I tried some boneless sardines and it was just weird. Sardines without bones is kind of like beer without carbonation.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 3, 2016

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you get canned octopus, don't try to cook it in with eggs or whatever because applying any heat whatsoever turns it into inedible rubber in seconds.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I get rid of leftover sardine oil by leaving it in the can and throwing the can away.

If you absolutely must put it down some sort of drain, I'm sure the toilet would work. If a gallon of used motor oil can make it down the toilet, a few drops of olive oil can too.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The best pickles are made from eggs.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Get a little bag of wood chips and soak them and toss them on the grill right before you cook on there brand new charcoal buddy. They sell em right there next to the charcoal.

I like apple wood usually

Soaking wood chips so that they smolder instead of burn and produce more smoke is a myth. It just makes them take a tiny bit longer to start smoking, and all of the stuff that looks like extra smoke is actually steam.

Also, if you put a baking dish into a charcoal grill it's basically an outdoor oven so you can have fisherman's eggs during the summer when it's too hot to use the regular oven.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just throw the chips straight onto the coals right before I start cooking it's always been fine. Either way, the reason soaking doesn't do much of anything is that wood doesn't absorb a meaningful amount of water. If it did, wooden boats would soak up water and sink.

A charcoal grill can hit 500 F pretty easily, hell with lump charcoal it's supposedly possible to break 1000.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 12, 2016

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Those old stoves with the control knobs at the very back are pretty great. Many childhood memories of my short grandmother having to reach over the running burners to access the controls and setting her sleeves on fire. Happened like once a month.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

it's not an analogy, wooden boats are literally made of wood

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

take a block of hickory meant for smoking use and weigh it

submerge that block of wood in water for 24 hours then shake the water off and weigh it again

oh poo poo it didn't fill up with water, turns out wood is made of wood

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i didn't, i soaked my pan in water before i used it so the broccoli wouldn't burn

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

poo poo. Beaten by actual evidence.

I really haven't ever had problems with my wood chips just bursting into flames, though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So how do you go about eating those mackerel? I'm assuming you can't just eat them bones and all like with a small fish. I'm in the Midwest and have literally never seen a fresh fish for sale so I have no idea how they work.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

go home n pet cat posted:

stink floyd/over-the-sink floyd

Ha, ha, pilchard you are

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I remain really jealous of people who live in areas where you can just go into a grocery store and buy a whole fish.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just found out that even though no stores around me stock fish, I can have them order a salmon for me.

It'll probably be weeks old and gross as hell, but least I'll get to try out plopping a fish on the grill.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Got my whole salmon from the store. As expected, it's been frozen for quite some time. Then it sat around at the grocery store for a few days because they didn't contact me when it came in like they said they would. And it turns out that salmon are about twice the size I thought they were so there's no way it's going to fit on my grill.

Time for some super gross baked salmon!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just got it unwrapped and there's no head. If I didn't want a head I would have purchased fillets. Why is it so hard to buy a fish.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How much time to I need to set aside to grill this salmon? I get that it's going to vary but I'm seeing everything from 5-10 minutes per side to wrapping it in foil (the gently caress?) and cooking for a full hour.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Okay I ended up cooking this for like 20 minutes before I lost patience and just ate it.

Pin bones are good bones.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 12, 2016

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I covered it with olive oil, salt, and pepper then put it over medium-hot coals for 20 minutes. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out tasting, considering that it was very old and smelled horrible.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Every meat except for pork being spoiled before you even buy it is just part of living in the Midwest. If I get another fish I'll just tear into it raw because if I get sick I get to stay home from work.

Edit: I understand that it will do nothing to save me, but this is what it looks like without being sidelit by a monitor. I could eat it without closing my eyes.

Still pissed about not getting to gnaw the meat off the cheeks and then eat the eyeballs.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 13, 2016

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The parts closer to the front were too rotten to be eaten even by me, so into the patented Purple Mystery Chowder it goes.

The kitchen smells like death but I still eats it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i boil water in a sauce pan and then add rice to that

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

For less than ~24 oz of water my microwave can boil water faster than the kettle, so tea is actually the one thing I don't use it for much. It's still the most efficient and convenient way for larger quantities though.

I've heard that our US electric kettles are relatively poo poo because of the whole 120 VAC thing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I never wash my cast iron stuff because washing cookware is pointless unless you're putting it into long term storage, but yeah, If regular dish soap takes it off, it wasn't really seasoning.

Everyone way overthinks caring for cast iron stuff and you don't have to do or not do anything special with it. Most of the "rules" about stuff like seasoning it with certain oils and baking the seasoning on in the oven and not using soap didn't even exist until the Internet was around and people starting spreading misinformation. Our ancestors cooked in iron by just cooking in it, and you can do the same.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Okay, it's pointless unless you're putting it into long term storage or the last thing you put into it wasn't food.

Real goons will know what I mean. :smug:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lol what, do you just throw dirty dishes crusted with food back into the cupboard? I'm trying to visualize how the gently caress you don't clean cookware.

I said that I don't bother washing cookware, I still wipe it clean with a paper towel.

I've run into people who are adamant that even rising out a skillet under the tap with plain water is ruinous, so it's not that far up the crazy scale.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This is a horrible idea if you have any sort of fond on there. That sticks, oxidizes, and burns over time. It goes rancid very quickly, in a day or two.

Also all your food is going to taste exactly the same if you cook it in the same dirty pan.

In the rare event that something sticks to the bottom, I remove it with a nylon pan scraper. I was never trying to make it sound like I take a pan with a bunch of sardine tails stuck all over it and a pint of bacon grease pooled up in the bottom and just chuck it in a drawer.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

theres a will theres moe posted:

You're supposed to yell "corned beef" and whisper the "with juices" part

phew, i thought i was the only person who finds joy in doing this

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i also thought i'd never be able to eat sardines again after i puked some up one time, then i was eating some six hours later

edit: i ate another can of sardines, i didn't eat the puke

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

HOLY MACKEREL'DINES

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You can use whatever utensils you want on cast iron. You can wash it with soap as long as you aren't going completely bonkers with it or soaking it for long periods. All you have to do to maintain the seasoning is cook food in it.

As far as I can tell, all of the rules about caring for cast iron are things that people on the Internet made up within the past 20 years.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How do you even become so familiar with the taste of soap that it's the first thing you compare cilantro to?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

My grandparents mixed canned tuna up with Miracle Whip and it owned. I do it myself and it’s somehow not the same.

I do this but also add a bit of Dijon mustard. I'm not sure why it's good because I otherwise can't stand Miracle Whip.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I eat yard morels every year, it's fine. There's nothing else that could be mistaken as a morel. Even the "false morels" don't look slightly similar in any way.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

whenever i buy some dud 'dines i use the remaining cans for fisherman's eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Every recipe is totally different, the only common element is that you put sardines and eggs together. I combine sardines with whatever vegetables sound good at the moment, top with eggs, and put the pan in a 400F oven for 10 minutes. Lots of recipes say you're supposed to preheat the pan too or partially cook the sardines first then take it out of the oven to add eggs and put it back in to cook longer, but gently caress opening the oven multiple times.