Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Assume all video links in this thread are :nws: for language, nudity, violence, or all three at the same time. Seriously, this is not a good thread to be looking at when you're at work or around children.

OVA - n. acronym for "Original Video Animation," used to refer to direct-to-video anime projects.

The OVA is well-known as a method of producing anime. To this day, they continue to be released, typically as companion pieces to TV anime (such as One Punch Man: Road to Hero), though even now occasionally a series such as Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn gets released primarily in the format.

This thread is not for discussing modern OVAs, however. This is a thread about a very particular (and peculiar) chunk of anime history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiKf3GXeHl8

(Brief) Historical Background

In 1983, Mamoru Oshii directed the first known OVA, Moon Base Dallos. Dallos, by all accounts, is not terribly good; it was a commercial failure on release, and seems to only be remembered for its historical value, rather than its objective quality. However, over the next 17 years, the OVA would become one of the dominant methods of distributing anime, particularly edgier, more experimental, and lower-budget works; a parallel can easily be drawn between the OVA boom and the V-Cinema boom of the late 1990s that launched Takashi Miike's career.

For the purposes of this thread, our stopping point will be 2000. 2000 saw the beginning of FLCL and the release of Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman, which are fitting endings to the period for entirely different reasons; while FLCL represents the best of what the format could produce, being an incredibly well-animated, complex, and (most importantly) fun as hell work, Amon represents the more typical OVA experience: it's gory, it's absurd, it was seemingly animated on a budget of shoelaces and pocket lint, and it gives you the distinct feeling that you're gonna need a shower afterwards. In addition, there is a noteworthy, large decline in the number of OVAs per year post-2000 (per Wikipedia's category listings), ignoring ones tied to existing anime series and hentai ones.

Thread Rules

- Defend your recommendations. Don't just namedrop something and say it's dope, give a few reasons why it's dope; if there's a decent amount of effort in your post, I'll add it to the recs list in this OP.

- Keep social justice debates to a low roar. Saying that a lot of this stuff is problematic is about as obvious as saying that fire is hot, and it's a hundred times more likely to make this thread go to poo poo, but at the same time, bringing up (for example) Angel Cop and trying to talk around the fact that it's about an international Jewish conspiracy might not be the easiest thing in the world, so just don't go on for pages at a time about this kind of thing or I'll put the thread on vacation for a few days.

- Try to keep things on topic. It doesn't have to strictly be OVAs; there's theatrically released movies like Ninja Scroll and Wicked City that fit the subject matter of this thread just fine. It just has to be cool poo poo that wouldn't be out of place on a Manga Video trailer reel. That said, if there's a more obvious place to post about an anime, do it there- for example, you'd probably be better served talking about Macross Plus in the mecha thread than here, even though it's technically a 90s OVA, and the Gundam OVAs are probably more suited to the Gundam thread.

- LoGH is verboten. Yes, it's good and technically within the scope of this thread. No, I do not care. It already has its own thread, go post about it there.

Recommendations

MD Geist (1986/1996)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqMKYhmORHU

This is less of a "recommendation" and more of an "elephant in the living room." MD Geist is possibly the most infamous OVA of all time, between its gently caress-awful animation (excepting one scene towards the end that was key-animated by Masami Obari, and noticeably so), its protagonist who looks like Kenshiro and Char Aznable did the Fusion Dance, its violence (which frequently lands less on the "disturbing" end and more on the "hilariously bizarre" end) and its borderline incomprehensible plot: effectively, MD Geist is the story of Kenshiro Aznable (creatively named "Most Dangerous Geist") wandering around a post-apocalyptic wasteland, bumblefucking into a gang by murdering their leader, and bumblefucking into a military mission by sheer coincidence (which he then uses as an excuse to start the apocalypse, setting the stage for MD Geist 2: Death Force, which is about a giant psychotic blue man named Krauser attempting to protect the remnants of humanity from Geist).

But, you know what? MD Geist is honestly more than the sum of its parts. By all logic, it should be the worst poo poo ever put on a video tape, but it has a certain appeal to it- the designs are insanely loving cool (as befitting a work by Koichi Ohata, who would later distinguish himself as a mechanical designer on Gunbuster and Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack), the plot maintains a certain fever-dream energy throughout, the music is loving awesome (including both an OP and an insert song by Hironobu Kageyama!), and honestly it's a pretty fun watch on the whole with a couple of buddies and a six-pack. Calling it anime's Space Mutiny isn't a bad comparison.

Cyber City Oedo 808 (1990)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbH2D5w2Ko

This is the series that can be credited with inspiring this thread, frankly- it was discussed briefly in the One Punch Man anime thread and I see mention of it pretty frequently around this subforum.

Rightfully so, because Cyber City Oedo 808 loving owns hard.

The basic gist is that three criminals in the Undefined Dark Cyberpunk Future, Sengoku (Jackass McSwearsalot, essentially), Gogol (a physically imposing hacker with a mohawk and a badass visor), and Benten (a white-haired bishonen) are serving sentences in a space prison that will go past the end of their natural lives. Out of the blue, a shadowy government man offers them a deal: in exchange for parole and time off their sentence, they'll begin working as police officers. From there, each episode follows a different case that one of the three gets embroiled in: Sengoku fights a seemingly sentient building, Gogol duels a cyborg that would make the T-800 poo poo its pants and run like hell, and Benten (I swear I am not kidding here) fights a loving telekinetic vampire.

While Cyber City is lacking in the considerable sleaze factor of most OVAs from this period (there's no nudity that I can remember, and exactly one gore shot), it gets over on sheer charm and atmosphere: the characters are instantly likable (particularly in the dub, where every second line out of their mouths is gut-bustingly hilarious), the visuals are awesome (naturally, given that it's a Madhouse/Yoshiaki Kawajiri collaboration), the plots are creative, one of the two soundtracks is absolutely fantastic, and overall it's a really good way to kill 2 hours (each episode is about 40 minutes, give or take a couple).

(I should probably back up a bit: Cyber City has two different soundtracks, due to Manga Entertainment UK opting to create their own when they licensed it. The original Japanese score, which is on all currently available DVD releases of the series, is... okay. It's listenable, but nothing special. However, Rory McFarlane's score for the dubbed version rocks. While the dub with the McFarlane score was hard to find until fairly recently, some good person synced it up to the remastered DVD's video track and put it on youtube; the embed of episode 1 above is theirs, and 2 and 3 are also on their account.)

Genocyber (1994)

(:nms: levels of violence. Seriously, this is not one to click if you aren't okay with really loving nasty gore.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25FVbHJYSA0

Okay, now we're starting to get into the really gonzo poo poo. Genocyber is another work from our old friend Koichi Ohata, and like MD Geist, it's a low-budget, violent sci-fi piece. Unlike MD Geist, however, Genocyber is actually unironically good... at least for the first episode.

Structurally, this one's especially oddball: Genocyber is effectively divided into three separate self-contained arcs. The first episode is a complete story, 2 and 3 are another, and then 4 and 5 are yet another. The first episode is hands down the best; it's, at heart, a story about two young girls living in cyberpunk Hong Kong, Elaine and Diana. At some (vague) point, Elaine and Diana were taken in by a creepy mad scientist, and Diana was turned almost entirely into a cyborg to cure a vague disability; Elaine (a mute, telekinetic feral child), however, ran away, and the central conflict of the first episode is Diana attempting to track Elaine down and bring her back "home" so that the creepy mad scientist can finish his experiment and manifest the titular creature using their combined psychic ability. ...yeah, the plot is a little out there.

The first episode, while low-budget (reportedly the entire series was made on the budget of a single TV anime episode), actually employs a lot of neat visual tricks to stretch that budget. Low-action scenes are sometimes expressed as a series of still watercolor paintings and some other sequences incorporate live-action, early CGI, and even stop-motion; as a result of these time/budget-saving tricks, the animation in the action sequences actually looks incredibly fluid (there's one shot of the Genocyber ripping a giant android thing in half that I absolutely adore), and it ends up giving the whole thing a really neat aesthetic.

The second and third episodes (which are half an hour each, vs. the full 50 minutes of the first) pick up... seemingly sometime after the first episode. Diana no longer exists, for unstated reasons, but Elaine has a sweet cybernetic body now. Elaine's friends get minigunned in graphic detail (seriously, I wasn't kidding about that :nms: warning, this is one of the most horrific things I have ever seen in an anime) by a fleet of helicopters, so she turns into the Genocyber and makes helicopter burgers; this prompts the US military to take an interest in her, and coincidentally they're making their own horrible psychic beast that the Genocyber has to throw down with. 2 and 3 are much dumber and less aesthetically interesting than the first episode, but they're still pretty fun other than the children-getting-minigunned scene; episode 3 in particular is one of the more creative "isolated location gets taken over by alien thing" stories I've ever seen.

The fourth and fifth episodes are hot loving garbage and have almost nothing to do with the first three. You can safely ignore them. Seriously, they're really bad, and I'm saying this as someone who's unironically defending the first three (already a pretty rare sight). They're ugly as sin even compared to 2 and 3, which were already a step down from 1, and I couldn't tell you what they were about if I tried (it's a shitload of time in the future, the Genocyber is worshipped as a god or something, and a bunch of dumb poo poo happens involving a blind girl I think, that's the best I can do).

Overall, the series is probably just above mediocre; however, it's actually very easy to ignore the final two episodes due to the series' odd structure, and between the first three, you've got one episode that fires on all cylinders start to finish and two that serve as a neat little coda to it. At the very least, the reputation Genocyber holds strongly belies what it actually contains; while this is definitely one for the gorehounds, no mistaking that, there's actually a decent bit to unpack in the writing, along with some really neat designs all the way through, one of the better Manga UK dubs, a fantastic ambient/industrial score, and a strong debt owed to Shin'ya Tsukamoto's early works (particularly Tetsuo: The Iron Man and Tetsuo II: Body Hammer).

(Interesting fact: Genocyber was written by Sho Aikawa, of Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, RahXephon, and, uh, Urotsukidoji fame. This probably goes a way towards explaining how utterly batshit a lot of the ideas in this are, for he is a nutty, nutty man.)

Mad Bull 34 (1990-92)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY_s1L-MdKc

Mad Bull 34 is the story of psychotic cop Not Mike Haggar (known as "Sleepy" or "Mad Bull") dressing up as a nun to attend his own funeral, decapitating a pimp using a subway train, fighting a wheelchair-bound Latino mafia cyborg, pulling grenades out of his pubes, falling in love with a Predator, and generally tormenting his straight-laced, sane partner Daizaburo. I did not make a single loving word of that up.

That last sentence is pretty much Mad Bull 34 in a nutshell: it feels less like an anime and more like some bizarre fever dream, or maybe like a cop show made by LSD-addled Martians whose only exposure to Earth art is Frank Miller comics. It is some straight up through-the-looking-glass "we can't stop here, this is bat country" poo poo. It's almost impossible to judge this purely off of its objective quality for that reason; in spite of being (seemingly relatively faithfully) adapted from a Kazuo Koike manga, it feels like honest to goodness outsider art. This is probably not one to watch sober, but it's one you kinda have to see to believe- it almost feels like JoJo minus the camp and irony with how utterly, straight-facedly, absurd it gets.

Other Goons' Recs

Reds posted:

Record of Lodoss War. June 30, 1990 - November 20, 1991
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2vxlZkfW-Y
It's the most 90s DnD experience you can get short of grabbing your dice and character sheet and jumping in a time machine. If you like classic fantasy in that vein, this is the OVA for you, and you've probably already heard of it by now anyway.
Notable for its high-detail character art, the actual motion is a bit lacking in the first half before it very noticeably picks up, and personally I like the second half more than the first. There's also a TV series which is sort of an alternate take on episode 8 onwards, and then creates an original story with original, very 90s characters. I haven't seen it, but it's generally considered to be not very good. Lodoss is thirteen episodes at 24 minutes each, which is one of the higher episode counts I've seen in an OVA.

Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still. July 22, 1992 – January 25, 1998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VemrhM9Y35M

"Everything for Big Fire! Allegiance or death!"
Giant Robo, loosely based on the manga and live-action tokusatsu, is Yasuhiro Imagawa's baby and barely needs introduction. It's extremely over the top, filled with twists, and is beautifully animated. It's a big crossover of all of the original author's characters and is actually more of a superpower show with wuxia aplenty than a mecha show. It's also loving fantastic and mandatory viewing. It also suffered from some production issues over the years which is why it took six years to make, and has a few spin-off OVA episodes made to garner more interest for the main production called Ginrei the Mighty. An OVA for an OVA, yes. Now go watch Giant Robo.

Oh, and while I'm here...

Iris: Zeiram The Animation June 23, 1994 - November 21, 1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBZuBUw_F68

Iria, or more commonly Zeiram The Animation, is a tie-in/spin-off prequel to a 90s live-action sci-fi movie called Zeiram, which itself got a sequel. Iria is a bounty hunter, and Zeiram is the alien villain who wears a big hat. It's pretty cool and has great setting visual design.

Ali Alkali posted:

THE Hakkenden
Oktober 25 1990 - March 25 1995
13 episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj8dGc-pvIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzHAhWTACiM

Samurai ova based on a classical novel from the 1800s. A Samurai Warlord is on his knees and half in despair/half as a joke, promise his dog the princess if it kills the rival warlord. Guess what? The Dog is possessed, and returns with the rivals head. The princess marries the dog and they go away to live in the mountains. Later, the princess "spiritually" gives birth to eight souls who are reincarnated in eight different warriors and they have to find each other and then fight the spirits/ghosts who was possessing the rival warlord and maybe also the dog? The ghosts really hate them anyway.

Its pretty ambitious and the art style keeps changing almost every episode and its reasonably well animated. It is notable because I think it has Masaaki Yuasa directorial debut or at least one of his earlier efforts. The episode he directs(10) is definitely one of the more remarkable ones and I remember his style clearly showing. The show is good!

Cheese: No cheese
Violence: Pretty tame for a ova.

Otaku no Video
Sep 27 1991 - Dec 20 1991
2 Episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ka2rfPrbag

Gainax tells you how to make it in the anime biz.

Cheese: Gainax level cheese
Violence: No Violence

Golden Boy
27 Oktober 1995 - 28 June 1996
6 Episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olol25mXXcw

Its a comedy about a guy travelling rural Japan on his bike, taking odd jobs and making bad impressions on women, but winning them over in the end by his power of studying. Its intro makes my 90s anime heart burst.

Cheese: It is cheesy.
Violence: No violence.

GorfZaplen posted:

California Crisis is a strange OVA set in the 1980s West Coast of America. It's about a perpetually drunk Yang Wenli lookalike who drives around with an underage girl and a cat, trying to escape from the mob and the drudgery of daily American life. It has a really amazing soundtrack and a unique visual style that you won't really see anywhere else.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

second-worst? more like best

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Kinda surprised Bubblegum Crisis isn't in the OP, I always thought that was one of the more high profile 80s OVAs. I'd say something about it but I haven't watched it soooooo

Anyway, the 80s and OVAs are usually sci-fi but fantasy is my favourite genre and there's a few worth mentioning primarily in the 90s and I'm probably going to focus on those in my posts. I only have these worth mentioning at the moment though.

The big one of course is Record of Lodoss War. June 30, 1990 - November 20, 1991
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2vxlZkfW-Y
It's the most 90s DnD experience you can get short of grabbing your dice and character sheet and jumping in a time machine. If you like classic fantasy in that vein, this is the OVA for you, and you've probably already heard of it by now anyway.
Notable for its high-detail character art, the actual motion is a bit lacking in the first half before it very noticeably picks up, and personally I like the second half more than the first. There's also a TV series which is sort of an alternate take on episode 8 onwards, and then creates an original story with original, very 90s characters. I haven't seen it, but it's generally considered to be not very good. Lodoss is thirteen episodes at 24 minutes each, which is one of the higher episode counts I've seen in an OVA.

In the direction of comedy, there's Dragon Half, a two episode long OVA. I haven't watched it personally, but everybody seems to have a pretty high opinion of it so check it out. Doesn't seem to have an OP so you get nothing. It ran from March 26, 1993 to May 28 in 1993

One that I'm personally fond of is Ruin Explorers. It's about exploring ruins, it's lighthearted and fun and I don't have much to say beyond that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZzUCw7QAoI

Now you might be thinking "wow reds, you're a poo poo fantasy fan, you only have three things worth mentioning". In which case you would be right, because I don't watch many OVAs because of reasons. A lot of 90s fantasy OVAs tend to be very short or incomplete adaptations of things and I prefer longer stuff, but I am working on watching a bunch, so I'll have opinions on those later. They include but are not limited to Ellcia, Amon Saga, Legend of Crystania and Bastard!!. I've watched some other stuff but again, not really worth going out of your way to watch.

On a minor note is The Heroic Legend of Arslan, which is worth mentioning since it just had a modern TV series which is due to have its second season in a while, so give it a look for a more condensed alternate take on the series if you're curious.

I'm more of a mecha guy when it comes to OVAs so I can't really talk about many that wouldn't belong in other threads, so I'll just make an entry for what should've been in the OP to begin with:

Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still. July 22, 1992 – January 25, 1998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VemrhM9Y35M

"Everything for Big Fire! Allegiance or death!"
Giant Robo, loosely based on the manga and live-action tokusatsu, is Yasuhiro Imagawa's baby and barely needs introduction. It's extremely over the top, filled with twists, and is beautifully animated. It's a big crossover of all of the original author's characters and is actually more of a superpower show with wuxia aplenty than a mecha show. It's also loving fantastic and mandatory viewing. It also suffered from some production issues over the years which is why it took six years to make, and has a few spin-off OVA episodes made to garner more interest for the main production called Ginrei the Mighty. An OVA for an OVA, yes. Now go watch Giant Robo.

Oh, and while I'm here...

Iris: Zeiram The Animation June 23, 1994 - November 21, 1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBZuBUw_F68

Iria, or more commonly Zeiram The Animation, is a tie-in/spin-off prequel to a 90s live-action sci-fi movie called Zeiram, which itself got a sequel. Iria is a bounty hunter, and Zeiram is the alien villain who wears a big hat. It's pretty cool and has great setting visual design.

Reds fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 17, 2015

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Legend of The Galactic Heros. Topic locked.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

you can't even spell "heroes" correctly

I forgot to mention Dragon's Heaven, which is one episode long and has a very interesting style.

i meant to mention that it's very moebius when i first made the post but i forgot WHOOPS

Reds fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 17, 2015

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Reds posted:

you can't even spell "heroes" correctly

I forgot to mention Dragon's Heaven, which is one episode long and has a very interesting style.

It has a very Moebius-inspired look to it. Plus, the opening is these very intricate models of the main robots with a making-off attached that's half the length of the actual OVA. Also, the Baund Doc is there, too.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is a post about funny OVAs.

Call Me Tonight is about a guy who turns into a terrifying abomination whenever he gets a boner, so naturally he hires a call girl to help him fix this. Has kickass monster designs, and some nice 1980s pantsu.

Oira Sukeban is a Go Nagai OVA about a kid who is forced to go to an All-Girls School because his dad accidentally marked him as a girl on the application. He proceeds to do battle with everybody in the entire school, and look at some nice pantsu.

Ultimate Teacher is about a genetically engineered superhuman who tries to take over a highschool that can best be described as apocalyptic. However, he never counted on Hinako, the toughest and strongest delinquent in the whole school. Watch this if you want some laffs and also pantsu are a major plot point.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kishin Corps is set in an alternate WWII where aliens invaded halfway through the war. In order to fight the aliens people from around the world came together and built giant robots! It features memorable characters such as Albert Einstein, Eva Braun, Eva Braun's twin sister, and a villainous IJN officer played by Norio Wakamoto.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha Ultimate Teacher loving owns, watch the dub.

I'm going to make a serious post eventually, I just needed to say that

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I remember renting Genocyber. It was so over the top and nothing was quite like it. Like the op says, don't watch the last episodes as they are complete garbage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Amusingly enough, Genocyber is one of the anime MTV used for their UltraCity 6060 cartoon shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W478ohkqZVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01A3yfAUyt4

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
90s OVAs are the best

THE Hakkenden
Oktober 25 1990 - March 25 1995
13 episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj8dGc-pvIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzHAhWTACiM

Samurai ova based on a classical novel from the 1800s. A Samurai Warlord is on his knees and half in despair/half as a joke, promise his dog the princess if it kills the rival warlord. Guess what? The Dog is possessed, and returns with the rivals head. The princess marries the dog and they go away to live in the mountains. Later, the princess "spiritually" gives birth to eight souls who are reincarnated in eight different warriors and they have to find each other and then fight the spirits/ghosts who was possessing the rival warlord and maybe also the dog? The ghosts really hate them anyway.

Its pretty ambitious and the art style keeps changing almost every episode and its reasonably well animated. It is notable because I think it has Masaaki Yuasa directorial debut or at least one of his earlier efforts. The episode he directs(10) is definitely one of the more remarkable ones and I remember his style clearly showing. The show is good!

Cheese: No cheese
Violence: Pretty tame for a ova.

Otaku no Video
Sep 27 1991 - Dec 20 1991
2 Episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ka2rfPrbag

Gainax tells you how to make it in the anime biz.

Cheese: Gainax level cheese
Violence: No Violence

The original JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA
November 19 1993 - November 18 1994
6 episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUXSM2rPJec

I am not a big jojo guy but this ova is great. Someone went and made a six episode ova of the ending of Stardust crusader without offering any explanation about how the gang got the egypt etc. The series is really nice animated and especially the last episode with its fight between Dio and Jotaro. I like to watch just that episode whenever I am feeling down. Apparently the OVA takes some liberties with the source material, it seems the manga doesn't have Dio and Jotaro throwing boats and buildings at each other??? They later went back and made seven prequel episodes and adapting the whole arc but they werent made in the 90s so I dont care about them.

Cheese: No Cheese
Violence: Some Violence

Golden Boy
27 Oktober 1995 - 28 June 1996
6 Episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olol25mXXcw

Its a comedy about a guy travelling rural Japan on his bike, taking odd jobs and making bad impressions on women, but winning them over in the end by his power of studying. Its intro makes my 90s anime heart burst.

Cheese: It is cheesy.
Violence: No violence.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dang, this thread is already delivering beyond my wildest dreams. I'm at work, but I'll add some of the recs to the OP when I get home.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Oh boy. Me and some friends have gotten together to watch a new trashy OVA every week for over a year now, and there were two movies that have permanently changed my life.

KENYA BOY
The first 15 minutes or so is a little dry, but then it flies off into space and never stops. This is a tale of adventure, love in it's various forms and how there's nothing more powerful than a young Japanese boy. Has some genuinely interesting and experimental visual choices combined with non-stop insanity.

DRACULA: SOVEREIGN OF THE DAMMED
This ain't your hellsing or your tsukihime type of anime vampires. This is a more psychological look at the man behind the fangs, why he does the things he does. By the end of this I guarantee you won't be able to look at Dracula the same way again.

My descriptions are brief and image free because if I were to explain more I would give away the entire appeal. These movies truly must be seen to be believed. I watched both of these in english (and I heavily recommend everyone do the same), although I don't know if they've been published within the last decade for those of you wanting a hardcopy of these pure gems.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kenya Boy is amazing. I'm almost certain they picked the main characters VA from a contest or something because it's the only anime he's ever been in and he's just really bad at it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
C'mon, you can't recommend Dracula and not post the hamburger gif :colbert:

Also, this is probably a good time to bring this up, since Dracula isn't exactly an OVA (it was a TV movie): stuff that's not strictly OVAs but within the spirit of this thread is totally fine (since otherwise Ninja Scroll would be off the table, and from an American perspective, it's actually pretty difficult to talk about this period without bringing up Ninja Scroll). Also, if you can, try to find a youtube of a full episode, at least- the wide bulk of this stuff is on Youtube in some form.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Dracula film also has a companion Frankenstein film, both are based off of Marvel comics.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the frankenstein film is actually bad instead of funny bad like the dracula one.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

C'mon, you can't recommend Dracula and not post the hamburger gif :colbert:

why would I give away the punchline of the entire movie :cmon:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

darealkooky posted:

the frankenstein film is actually bad instead of funny bad like the dracula one.

I didn't even know there was a Frankenstein movie, until today.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

darealkooky posted:

that movie is gold start to finish, not just for that scene :colbert: :colbert:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here is an OVA suggestion:

California Crisis is a strange OVA set in the 1980s West Coast of America. It's about a perpetually drunk Yang Wenli lookalike who drives around with an underage girl and a cat, trying to escape from the mob and the drudgery of daily American life. It has a really amazing soundtrack and a unique visual style that you won't really see anywhere else.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also, YES, that cat is that floofy, and it's amazing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
most impressive floof

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, I added a bunch of people's recs so far to the OP, including the one you posted just now, Gorf. :)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

If no one has done a post on Bubblegum Crisis by tomorrow evening, I'll be all over that.

The original Bubblegum Crisis OVA is legit my favorite anime ever and I'll take any chance I can get to try and push people into watching it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dexie posted:

If no one has done a post on Bubblegum Crisis by tomorrow evening, I'll be all over that.

The original Bubblegum Crisis OVA is legit my favorite anime ever and I'll take any chance I can get to try and push people into watching it.

Definitely do that, I only didn't put it in the OP because I haven't seen it in a dog's age and don't feel like I remember it well enough.

I'll be doing a post on Ninja Scroll in the next couple of days, but I need to rewatch it first- I remember all the key beats (and "BURN IN YOUR GOLDEN HELL!" is basically seared into my brain) but I feel like I'll need to be taking notes if I really want to unpack it.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Before Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, there was:

BAOH: The Visitor (1989) (Linking 2002 dub, cause the terrible VA is great)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcfykg9jIZM

Cheese: Pretty Cheesy (Thanks to English VA)
Violence: Pretty Violent (some animal violence too)

Originally a two volume series by Araki Hirohiko, the same creator of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Its about a teenage boy turned super weapon and a little psychic girl escaping an evil organization that wants to use their powers for for typical evil organization stuff. The OVA leaves out some things from the original manga and shifts things around a little bit, but I feel like it condenses it fairly well (Still there is some weird rear end poo poo you sadly miss out on from the manga).

This apparently is the first series Araki starts doing his signature over the top gore with, and it reflects in the OVA. Dudes get wrecked, and even some animals, so be warned.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You could basically put everything ever released by US Manga into the OP. Their schtick seemed to be releasing wierd OAVs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, that was pretty much the western anime industry in those days, TV series were too bulky and expensive on VHS, only a couple of companies like Viz and AnimEigo ever attempted to release anything other than OAV's and movies.

E: ADV got into them as well towards the end of the 90's when the steady OAV stream started to dry up.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 18, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMWykZy4H_4

Black Lion was one of the first works of Go Nagai (writer of Getter Robo and Devilman) and tells the story of ninjas and ninja-killers in the 1500s. I won't spoil anything more about the plot because it absolutely works better if you don't know what's coming. It's pure Go Nagai crazy intensity cranked up to 150% working on half a budget, with character development and plot passed over in favour of kitsch and violence. It's incredible.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 18, 2015

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMpI_bc3LrI

It's probably become expected at this point, but of course I'm going to recommend Mobile Police Patlabor (1988). Oshii may have been responsible for the first OVA in 1983, but it was here that he really produced a quality example of the format. Following a stint directing episodes of Urusei Yatsura (including the first two movies, of particular note Beautiful Dreamer), he and Kazunori Itō got together to form Headgear and birth this series about a barely competent division of police officers charged with fighting crime involving Labors, mechs/exosuits designed for construction work and manual... labour.
It would be followed up by two excellent (and one okay) movies, as well as a television series, but even in the 7 episodes of the original OVA we get a good sampling of the breadth of stories Patlabor tells, from logistical issues like dealing with traffic to political conspiracy and attempted miltary coups, and even the occasional ghost story and giant kaiju tale.
If you were only going to see one entry of Patlabor, I'd probably recommend Patlabor 2. But the OVA is still really worth it.

Also: Kanuka Clancy

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
Kennel Tokorozawa
Feb 21 1992
1 episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T-xGHtHAVE

Kamonegi Chika is in high school and lives with her pet shop owning parents. They also have a pet dog. The dogs name is Rin Tin Tin. Rin Tin Tin loves Chika. He wants to marry her. He wants to sleep with her. Rin Tin Tin is a dog. The show is a comedy.

The video includes an extra segment, an interview with Rin Tin Tin's voice actor dressed in a dog costume. The segment starts with him sexually assaulting the hostess. The segment ends with the hostess saying "I hope to see you again in Kennel Tokorozawa 2", but a sequel was never produced.

Baps: The show got the baps.
Violence: It has a girl being bitten in the butt by a snake, and a dog being bitten in the dick by a snake.

Ali Alkali fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 18, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I had a detailed post written up for it and then I figured it counted as "better suited for the mecha thread". :colbert:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

Here is an OVA suggestion:

I love that kind of heavy ink style where most of the shadows of pure black, definitely gonna check this out.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

What makes the visuals unusual imo is the way they outline the separation between shades. I know I've seen the style elsewhere before, but I can't think of where.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think we ought to give an honorary shout-out to Fist of the North Star and Street Fighter 2: The Movie.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Street Fighter 2: The Movie definitely scores highly on the baps scale.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stairmaster posted:

I think we ought to give an honorary shout-out to Fist of the North Star and Street Fighter 2: The Movie.

Movies are fine as long as their subject matter wouldn't be out of place here, and both of those fit fine. I think SF2 the Movie is even in that Manga trailer reel I posted. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Street Fighter 2: The Movie definitely scores highly on the baps scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qXFunYSsc8

That soundtrack, too.

• Locked thread