Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
:page3:

Crying Freeman

Tons of violence, sexuality, and bizarre Asian cultural differences.

Bloodyshinta1 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I never noticed that his dragon has a gun before.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

I never noticed that his dragon has a gun before.

I think you just passed the Not Gay test, unless you are a chick then you failed it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Crying Freeman is amazing. The manga doubly so.

Man, this has legit turned into one of the best threads in VEGETA. :unsmith:

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
OP I dont watch a lot of the animes but I really liked that cyber city odeo and I wanted to thank you personally for making a good thread

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I can't believe we're at page 3 and no

BIO-BOOSTER ARMOR GUYVER 1986, 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bXL1RSmm2Q

Based on a somehow still-ongoing manga, Sho Fukamachi, a billy everyteen protagonist, accidentally becomes symbiotically bonded to a kind of living Iron Man suit that gives him super strength, etc. and he has to fight an army of monster men and Cronos, an Umbrella-level villainous mega corp. There was a one-off OVA in 1986 followed by a 12-episode run in 1988. This show had all the action gore teenage boys were looking for with just a touch of corporate intrigue and alien conspiracy. The fights were reasonably exciting and generally felt like a kid smashing his action figures into each other. It was kind of like a hyper-violent Spiderman as Sho is constantly trying to keep his identity a secret to protect his friends and wrestling with a massive Martyr Complex. Each episode would end with long shots of toys of the various characters with overlong, technobabbly explanation of their powers and abilities.

It got a 2-cour remake in 2006 but as the show lacks anything resembling "moe" I can't imagine it did very well in the mid-00's. But that's not the important part. Guyver got not one but two American film adaptations.

That is Mark loving Hamill in a 90's direct-to-video, American anime adaptation (not as the lead, however). The second film is a bit truer to manga and stars David "Solid Snake" Hayter.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Tunahead posted:

I wish to recommend Gunsmith Cats for everyone who likes ninety minutes of Kenichi Sonoda relentlessly fetishizing guns, explosives, and '70s muscle cars. Also featured: Chill music, dialogue scenes for people who enjoy good pacing, and special guest appearance by Radinov, master assassin and bastard lunatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMBDFo8Xtco

One thing is for sure, they really put effort into the weapon sound effects in this series. The OP's style is also uncannily similar to Cowboy Bebop - I wonder if that's a coincidence or was Bebop influenced by this series?

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back
Video Girl Ai

Basically it's your run of the mill nerdy dude finds love in some awkward way, in this case via magical vhs tape placed in a broken VCR from a magical rental store.

But our titular Ai ends up coming out "broken" and instead of cheering the main character Yota up there's a lot of trolly tsundere poo poo she does since she can actually experience emotions.
Of course Yota has a crush on another chick Moemi that doesn't like him, so it takes awhile but eventually it morphs into a cute but awkward romance show between the two once he gets out of the friendzone and forgets Moemi.
Viz was pretty quick getting this out on VHS back in the day and it was one of the first shows I was introduced to. OVA covers roughly vols 1-3, so not the whole manga (there's 15 vols I think?) but I felt like it was a good introductory chunk.

Ok, so why should I watch this? :colbert: Do you like a little bit of pervy poo poo in an otherwise humorous romantic comedy? Do you like well done early animation that is true to the artist's designs? Check it out! And if you like the OVA go whole hog in the manga!
It has a pretty similar premise to Ah! My Goddess without a harem.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Not Keyser Soze posted:

It got a 2-cour remake in 2006 but as the show lacks anything resembling "moe" I can't imagine it did very well in the mid-00's.

It didn't do well at all, but it actually kicks serious rear end. Absurdly faithful to the manga, great animation, probably the best animated version of Guyver (as much as I have a soft spot for the OVA).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMy0-SKaDN8

Honestly, it feels like a show that came out at the exact wrong time- 5 years on either side and it would have been a big hit in the West, but it came out during that chunk of time where normies kind of forgot anime existed, so it never got any play on Adult Swim or anything.

quote:

But that's not the important part. Guyver got not one but two American film adaptations.

That is Mark loving Hamill in a 90's direct-to-video, American anime adaptation (not as the lead, however). The second film is a bit truer to manga and stars David "Solid Snake" Hayter.

I can confirm that both of the Guyver movies loving rule. Make sure you hunt down the uncut version of the first one- the US DVD is some weird "director's cut", and apparently the MPAA made them cut out all the gore shots to keep a PG-13 on it. Firstly, this is a huge waste because Screamin' Mad George directed it and he's a crazy loving good effects guy (he notably worked on Society, Freaked, and Tales from the Hood). Secondly, Guyver just feels wrong unless he's ripping arms off and decapitating Zoanoids.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Guyver has a similar problem to Berserk in that animated versions keep covering the same stuff and never getting any further.
(And also the manga has been going for 30+ years and still isn't finished.)

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Sakurazuka posted:

The Guyver has a similar problem to Berserk in that animated versions keep covering the same stuff and never getting any further.
Berserk is reliable compared to Guyver, with 185ish chapters out over 30 years (and has been monthly since the beginning, whereas Berserk started biweekly and moved to monthly iirc). Unless the scans are far behind, I can't figure out what the current chapter is in Japan.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I am honestly surprised to learn that Guyver is somehow supposed to have an ongoing manga in the first place. I'd assumed it was already complete but simply hadn't been fully adapted.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
At least Berserk adapted the Golden age, which had a start, a middle, and an end.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

wielder posted:

I am honestly surprised to learn that Guyver is somehow supposed to have an ongoing manga in the first place. I'd assumed it was already complete but simply hadn't been fully adapted.

Guyver, HxH, and Berserk are the holy trinity of awesome manga on perma-hiatus. Apocryphally, Takaya has been seriously ill for a long time and it's stopped him from doing consistent work on it since roughly the early 2000s.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 5, 2016

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
This thread is making me nostalgic. I Remember when these titles started getting localized and renting them at Blockbuster by clerks who did know any better who thought it was perfectly ok to let a 15 year old rent Angel Cop even though it stated on the family account I could only rent G and PG rated titles. At the time there was something kind of exotic seeing stuff like Crying Freeman, Genocyber and MD Geist; these days those titles are punchlines and bywords schlock well deserving to put MST3K's chopping block. That being said I would rather watch those than anything to do with Moe but that probably says more about me and when I started watching anime than anything.

Reds posted:

you can't even spell "heroes" correctly

I forgot to mention Dragon's Heaven, which is one episode long and has a very interesting style.

i meant to mention that it's very moebius when i first made the post but i forgot WHOOPS

That looks more like Moebius than the section at the end of Heavy Metal based on his work.

NmareBfly posted:

And still it's not in here, what the hell people.

All eight episodes can be yours for only $240. My god VHS prices where crazy in 90's. Honestly the best part of the shift to DVD was how much cheaper things got.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 5, 2016

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

megazone 23 is another cool 80s cyberpunk ova about a biker named shogo who gets entrusted with a military prototype motorcycle which can transform into a mecha. naturally this causes him to be wanted by a bunch of government paramilitary organizations and he stumbles onto the revelation that the world he inhabits isn't quite what it seems. i don't want to spoil too much for those who haven't seen it but it is probably more influential on the matrix than akira or gits is despite what the wachowskis claim. also there's a green haired idol singer named eve that shogo is obsessed with and she gets her baps out. that specific character was designed by haruhiko mikimoto who did character designs for macross and gunbuster among others. there are 3 installments but only the first two are any good.

i watched the first ova and it's crazy how matrix like it is and isn't. like the general set-up is similar, but the super computer that's created a fake reality is good, and the hero is basically a useless idiot. well, maybe not a useless idiot since when he's finds out his whole world is fake and there's about to be a war, he just seems to accept there's not much he can do and goes to try and get laid

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I can confirm that both of the Guyver movies loving rule. Make sure you hunt down the uncut version of the first one- the US DVD is some weird "director's cut", and apparently the MPAA made them cut out all the gore shots to keep a PG-13 on it. Firstly, this is a huge waste because Screamin' Mad George directed it and he's a crazy loving good effects guy (he notably worked on Society, Freaked, and Tales from the Hood). Secondly, Guyver just feels wrong unless he's ripping arms off and decapitating Zoanoids.

This is will hard to believe but the Guyver series is still being made. Its pretty much only in manga form and the translations are only being offered to people who actually buy the manga. Both the movies were just loosely based on the manga. I kinda hope the writer doesnt die before he finishes but I doubt the rest of the chapters will be ever translated for free. The manga is gory on an attack on titan/terraformers level also.

Guyver became a huge mech.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 8, 2016

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Parallax posted:

when he's finds out his whole world is fake and there's about to be a war, he just seems to accept there's not much he can do and goes to try and get laid

Truly an everyman hero.

When I watched Megazone 23 I never really got any Matrix vibes off it (though I remember that being a meme a few years back), maybe it was because I saw it after The Matrix?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tenzarin posted:

This is will hard to believe but the Guyver series is still being made. Its pretty much only in manga form and the translations are only being offered to people who actually buy the manga. Both the movies were just loosely based on the manga. I kinda hope the writer doesnt die before he finishes but I doubt the rest of the chapters will be ever translated for free. The manga is gory on an attack on titan/terraformers level also.

Yeah it's pretty rad. If I wasn't already buying other series I'd probably buy Guyver just to finally read past whatever point the online translations stop. Maybe when I finally run out of Jojo to buy. :suicide:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My favorite thing about Megazone 23 is there's a guy out there from the dawn of the internet who legally changed his name to Megazone. He's also a character in a still-running self-insert fanfic that -- no, I'm not going to talk about that here.

man I haven't checked in on that series for a while let's see what they're up to oh good it's about strike witches now :gonk:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Gall Force - Eternal Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yop4V8stpvE

My ringing endorsement is that 12 year old me thought this was rad as hell. I found it on some forgotten channel on late night TV in the distant past. It has space ships, monsters, chicks, and explosions.

I just spent 2 hours trying to google this show up based on that information alone, and will not have time to actually re-watch this thing to see if it holds up, but my inner child tells me you will find this to be the absolute height of mid 80's space action somethings.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I don't think anyone's mentioned Appleseed yet? I'm not very well-versed in it, having only watched a 1988 OVA a while ago, but I really enjoyed it! It's also the work of Masamune Shirow, so you know that it's got a pedigree.

It's about some future cops; a woman (Deunan Knute) and her Cyborg partner (named Briareos Hecatonchires, I poo poo you not). They fight lots of cyber-crime and explosions ensue!

1988 OVA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIU3RhQHYU

Edit: I forgot that there's apparently some CGI OVAs made in the early 2000s, which had some cool music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGZTcNez93U

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 14, 2016

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

a kitten posted:

1987 brought us Black Magic M-66, which was based on a single chapter in Masamune Shirow's (GitS) debut manga of the same name.

Have a cheesy commercial for it's 1990 US release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkgkOmQ7Pac

Lady? Check

Guns? Check

Violence? Check

This one was all over the place back in the early 90's when video rental stores were still a thing. So, if you were watching Japanimation (sic) back then, you've probably seen it. And if you haven't now's a good time to do so.

Basically it's about a journalist who ends up trying to protect a young girl from a bunch of Terminator-ish robots who are sent out (accidentally? maliciously? It's been awhile) to kill her. Lot of cool action to be found here.

Here's a clip:
Actually here's a much longer Japanese trailer with some great 80's pop music for a backer.
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1574023961

Black Magic is cool as heck and I wish there was more of it. I might have to check out the manga, since it seems like it's basically this badass reporter getting into poo poo all the time. Here's more of it:
https://fat.gfycat.com/JointGraveEwe.webm
https://fat.gfycat.com/PrestigiousSomberCuckoo.webm

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The Black Magic manga is not really anything like the movie. I haven't read it in years but I recall it being more about a female space wizard god fighting other space wizards. There's a small section of the manga where the main character crash lands on a planet and the space wizards that don't like her make the prototype combat android on the planet attack her. Anipages has a really good article about the movie if you're interested.

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/black-magic-m-66

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Is there an official English translation of The Guyver manga in digital form? Best I've been able to find is some forum thread that promises to email you a PDF if you buy a Japanese hardcopy from some fan translator in the US.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Verizian posted:

Is there an official English translation of The Guyver manga in digital form? Best I've been able to find is some forum thread that promises to email you a PDF if you buy a Japanese hardcopy from some fan translator in the US.

For gently caress's sake is that what that guy meant by "if you buy it you can get it translated?" That's the dumbest poo poo ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think the official English translations of The Guyver manga got very far anyway, I have all the fan translated stuff that was current up to like four years ago (volume 20-ish maybe?) but I've no idea where I got it from now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, it only got like one volume officially translated back in the early 90s. I really wish Viz would revisit all their stuff from that era like Guyver, Hokuto no Ken, etc and give it proper releases. :smith:

e: I mean they did it for Ranma 1/2 and that series is basically straight up forgotten nowadays, at least Guyver and HnK have *some* currency in the modern weeb landscape

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Another company tried to release the colourised versions of Hokuto no Ken back in the early 2000's, I think they got up to like volume 7 before giving up.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Funny story about Guyver Advocacy. They used to hide their translations behind a passworded website. To get the password they'd give you a page number of the Japanese volume and told you to look for a word in English. Someone got the raws and started to release scanlations, when GA found out they threw a hissy fit and eventually started to do it themselves when they realized the cat was out of the bag. I guess they're back to their old ways.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guyver posted:

Funny story about Guyver Advocacy. They used to hide their translations behind a passworded website. To get the password they'd give you a page number of the Japanese volume and told you to look for a word in English. Someone got the raws and started to release scanlations, when GA found out they threw a hissy fit and eventually started to do it themselves when they realized the cat was out of the bag. I guess they're back to their old ways.

That is the dumbest poo poo ever and I'm pretty sure it's actually more illegal than just putting the translation online.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, it only got like one volume officially translated back in the early 90s. I really wish Viz would revisit all their stuff from that era like Guyver, Hokuto no Ken, etc and give it proper releases. :smith:

e: I mean they did it for Ranma 1/2 and that series is basically straight up forgotten nowadays, at least Guyver and HnK have *some* currency in the modern weeb landscape

What? Ranma 1/2 was both more popular back then and now, they even made a new ova for it in 08

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think the official English translations of The Guyver manga got very far anyway, I have all the fan translated stuff that was current up to like four years ago (volume 20-ish maybe?) but I've no idea where I got it from now.

They are still translating it. The story is kinda meh. I don't think I've ever not have the guyver story end abruptly due to no more content(anime) or because of internet assholes.

Chapter 190 sounds like there they started doing this new have to buy the book crap in 2014. That's alot to read through if you want to read from the start. Release 15 pages every month is really slow progress anyway. At most you would be only like 12 chapters behind and maybe in a few years the super small group protecting the translations might dissolve.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 15, 2016

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

What? Ranma 1/2 was both more popular back then and now, they even made a new ova for it in 08
8 years is a long time in manga years, old man

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Watched Cyber City OEDO 808 for the first time last night. That Manga dub loving makes it. So good.

There's a bunch of these that I'm only familiar with from listening to Fast Karate. I think having listening to the reviews beforehand has improved the viewing experience.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I'm speaking purely from a Western standpoint- in the West, it's one of those series that got talked about a huge amount in the 80s and 90s, then kinda disappeared. In Japan, it's loving legendary, don't get me wrong.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm speaking purely from a Western standpoint- in the West, it's one of those series that got talked about a huge amount in the 80s and 90s, then kinda disappeared. In Japan, it's loving legendary, don't get me wrong.

Actually Ranma wasn't that big in Japan from what I understand. It was canceled and "retooled" after the first season, and Yawara (a series it ran with that has almost no traction in the West) was the more popular of the two.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Ranma was watched because they could of shown boobs.

they never did

Come on I know your Blockbuster had better stuff to rent than Ranma, lol!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 16, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Ranma was watched because they could of shown boobs.

they never did

Uhh, what? Say what you want about Ranma, it was like 25% boobs.

quote:

Actually Ranma wasn't that big in Japan from what I understand. It was canceled and "retooled" after the first season, and Yawara (a series it ran with that has almost no traction in the West) was the more popular of the two.

IIRC, the first season was kinda a flop but then it took off and ran for ages. The show didn't do 7 seasons, 3 movies and 12 OVA episodes because it wasn't popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The manga was also crazy popular, Rumiko Takahashi was like one of highest paid women in Japan for a while.

• Locked thread