Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Just finished Wizardry, an adaptation of the 80s western DnD-style CRPG.

It is basically a straight adaptation of the game, in plot and style, it is exactly what you would expect when you sign up for an anime adaptation of such a game. It's straightforward, but entertaining in its direct simplicity, and the animation is decent.

Not much to talk about other than that, but it was fun enough to watch in one 50-minute episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I am bringing this thread back to life. I've just spent the last several hours marathoning an OVA series that I've never heard about and I must share it with the world

Key The Metal Idol

Key is a robot girl (girl robot?) who comes home one day to see that her creator has suddenly died. Distraught over the fact that without him she'll eventually run out of power and shut down, he leaves her a single mysterious message: If Key can become friends with 30,000 people, she can become a proper human. Unable to meet this request in the rural village that was their home, Key makes her way towards Tokyo. Then a whole lot of crazy poo poo happens.

Self described as an "experimental title", Key certainly offers the Boobs, Blood and Batshit Insanity one would except from a mid 90's OVA series. However It also offers a whole lot more. The animation is great, with the direction and visuals giving the sort of surreal/dreamlike feeling you'd find in something like Lain or a David Lynch film and it has some interesting story moments and themes behind the layers of craziness. "Artsy" is a good word for this series, judging by the credits this was largely a pet project of one guy and it has both the janky tone/pacing and the charm you'd expect from something like that. I haven't even gotten around to mentioning the multitude of songs they wrote just for this series ala bubblegum crisis or tons of other stuff, this is a show that didn't have someone sitting around to say "maybe we shouldn't" and for the most part I would say it works in it's favor. If you have any interest in weird sci-fi stuff I whole heatedly recommend you watch this series, and even if you don't you should still probably check it out.

The series had an official western release way back in the late 90's and hasn't had one since. You can stream the japanese with subtitles for free on Viewster, a website I had no idea existed until just now, but if you want to check out the english dub (which, potentially annoying filter they gave key's voice aside, is quite good especially for it's time. The translated versions of the music in particular are well done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBP3JMaQj8E) you'll have to resort to :filez: or forking over way too much money for a second hand copy.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 18, 2016

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Back when I was in college, one of the local comic stores liquidated their VHS rental section, and I ended up buying the entire thing for a song, so this thread is bringing back a lot of memories, good and bad. I own way too many of the tapes I used to rent back in high school, so I'll see what I can work through and write up.

Toph vs. Younger Viewing Habits:

Dirty Pair:

What do you get when you couple high concept science fiction with women's tag team wrestling? One of the funnier shows I've watched. The whole premise is that our heroines, the Dirty Pair Lovely Angels, work for the World Welfare Works Association (3WA), a governmental agency that specializes in "solving problems" by sending various "trouble consultants" to the planets in the United Galactica. Inevitably, Kei and Yuri end up escalating the situation far beyond the initial prospectus, and often end up destroying entire buildings, cities, planets...

The amount of symbolism and multi-layered Buddhist allegory that's been worked into the series is astounding (if that's your thing), and it's shockingly progressive at times for the late 80s (one episode in particular is all about how a guy's father should get over himself about the guy marrying a transwoman, and our heroines are completely on their side, with no jokes or anything made at her expense) but it can also be enjoyed on a purely "half-naked girls and explosions" level. It was apparently a huge hit with the folks who made Star Trek: the Next Generation, and the source of more than one in joke on the show. For pure nostalgia, here's a fansite straight out of 1998: http://elenorecity.com/

It was a fairly popular property for a while, starting as a series of light novels, then getting an OVA adaptation, then a TV series, a couple movies, before dying off for a while save for an American comic adaptation by Adam Warren, and one final revival in the early 2000s (Dirty Pair Flash).

What's lovely is that Manga entertainment has the entire OVA and TV series up on YouTube, so, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO_2MNPfrAY

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It was apparently a huge hit with the folks who made Star Trek: the Next Generation, and the source of more than one in joke on the show.

ST:TNG has plenty of references to Dirty Pair and Urusei Yatsura, which both in turn had a number of references to the original Star Trek. It's like... the universe is all connected man...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dirty Pair rules and anyone who is remotely interested in the series owes it to themselves to check out Project Eden, which is a movie that might as well be an 80s music video. I have no qualms calling it the best Dirty Pair media out there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BEHOLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9InTV5Bw3Js

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I thought Key looked familiar, and it turns out the character designer for that also worked on Ramna 1/2 and a Tenchi Muyo thing.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

ST:TNG has plenty of references to Dirty Pair and Urusei Yatsura, which both in turn had a number of references to the original Star Trek. It's like... the universe is all connected man...

:mmmhmm:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

When did TNG reference Dirty Pair?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In a bunch of technobabble, apparently: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Popular_culture_references_in_Star_Trek#Dirty_Pair

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here and there, with a lot of names on diagrams and such:

Keiyurium from Rascals, an element that helps power the holodeck
Operation: Lovely Angel from Peak Performance, which also features the planets Kei, Yuri, and Totoro.
The Kei/Yuri Factor, a scale of planetary measurement, from The Royale.

From A Matter of Honor:

(lower right corner)

From Elementary, Dear Data:

(middle right edge, under the Enterprise, sadly partially cut off by the edge of the screenshot)

And the Exo-Comps are pretty blatantly designed to look like Nanmo:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Toph Bei Fong posted:

From Elementary, Dear Data:

(middle right edge, under the Enterprise, sadly partially cut off by the edge of the screenshot)

lol Ataru and Lum at the top there too.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TNG also had a few references to Gunbuster here and there, iirc

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I now suddenly like TNG all over again.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

mr. stefan posted:

TNG also had a few references to Gunbuster here and there, iirc

more info?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Memory-Alpha posted:

On pp. 44-45 [of the ST:TNG Technical Manual], it is stated that guidance and navigation research is conducted by a cetacean crew of twelve Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) and Pacific Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus gilli), overseen by two Takaya's Whales (Orcinus orca The "Takaya's Whale" is not a real whale, but a homage to a fictional character, Noriko Takaya, by Rick Sternbach. Sternbach is a professed fan of the Japanese animated series Aim For the Top! Gunbuster. In this series, "espers and electronic-brained [bottlenose] dolphins" navigate the Exelion, the main spaceship of the heroine Noriko Takaya. (Sternbach also references the Exelion in the manual in the compound "exelion-infused carbonitrium".)
In a StarTrekUK.com interview, Sternbach explains the cetacean connection:

"The TNG Tech Manual definitely talks about a combined Orcinus orca takaya and Tursiops truncatus population on the ship to work out navigation problems (and more likely alien language challenges!).
"We never got to show them in an episode, since the expense would have been prohibitive, but we did convince the writers to have Geordi ask a visiting official if they ever saw the dolphins. During "Yesterday's Enterprise", an intercom call was heard asking Dr. Joshua Kim to report to Cetacean Ops.
"The dolphins and whales were my idea from the start; I'm convinced that, even if they're not intelligent enough to pilot a starship, they can still teach us a few things about other life forms."

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_Technical_Manual

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

No one's mentioned Violence Jack yet? Wow.

Based on the manga by Go Nagai (creator of Cutie Honey and Mazinger Z, among other things), Violence Jack is an ultra violent post-apocalyptic series typical of this era - by that I mean it copies Fist of the North Star pretty heavily.

Our protagonist, Violence Jack, is a giant guy/sometimes werewolf who wanders the shattered remnants of human civilization dealing with bandits, other giant manly dudes, and ordinary people struggling to survive. It had three OVA releases in 1986, 1988, and 1990. The first and the third are tame in comparison (though still very violent) and really just sort of mediocre. I'd still watch them if you're really curious, but they're by no means essential viewing or really even that interesting.

So let's talk about the second OVA: Evil Town. Wow, does it ever live up to its name. The basic premise is that a group of seemingly ordinary men, some fashion models, and your requisite depraved biker gang are trapped under the rubble of Tokyo following a massive earthquake. They've divided themselves up into three groups. The biker gang, led by the giant Mad Saurus and his righthand man/woman, the equally depraved Blue, want to enslave the women and kill everyone. The others want to escape to the surface.

Enter our protagonist, Violence Jack. He carries a jack knife and is really good at violence, so that's what people call him. The men just find him chilling in some rubble, as apparently he doesn't need oxygen or very much else at all to survive.

Eventually, as you might expect, all hell breaks loose. The latter half of this hour-long OVA is filled to the brim with :nms: sexual violence, cannibalism, child murder, and just general depravity. There's no winking at the audience. It's just over-the-top madness through and through. It's like if you took the basic premise of Fist of the North Star and followed it through to its logical conclusion. I consider this episode, along with Genocyber and Angel Cop, to to be a sort of informal trinity of trashy OVA ultraviolence.

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 24, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gonna be that guy and point out that the Violence Jack manga started about 10 years before Fist of the North Star

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Gonna be that guy and point out that the Violence Jack manga started about 10 years before Fist of the North Star

Yeah, it did. But the OVAs are heavily influenced by FOTNS and don't look too much like the manga.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Love those dolphins.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh poo poo this thread came back! I kinda forgot about it, to be honest- I changed jobs recently and college started loving me up the rear end with work about the time I stopped regularly posting in here, so I kinda forgot that I meant to write up Ninja Scroll and Violence Jack.

Which, by the way, Violence Jack loving rules. It's horrifying and hosed up but in a weirdly watchable way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This thread got me to watch Cyber City Oedo and it was great.

Good job thread!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I gotta see some of this stuff. Remembering it exists really shows how different the style is today.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk_nISAyA94

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Dirty Pair:

The amount of symbolism and multi-layered Buddhist allegory that's been worked into the series is astounding (if that's your thing), and it's shockingly progressive at times for the late 80s (one episode in particular is all about how a guy's father should get over himself about the guy marrying a transwoman, and our heroines are completely on their side, with no jokes or anything made at her expense) but it can also be enjoyed on a purely "half-naked girls and explosions" level. It was apparently a huge hit with the folks who made Star Trek: the Next Generation, and the source of more than one in joke on the show. For pure nostalgia, here's a fansite straight out of 1998: http://elenorecity.com/
Dirty Pair is so good it makes me wanna hurl

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

Dirty Pair is so good it makes me wanna hurl

Yeah, that's easily one of my favorite episodes.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, that's easily one of my favorite episodes.
forget 1985 - it's shockingly progressive for 2016. just, like, ignore how they dress the women. oh, scifi nerds :allears:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer

A really short ova adaptation of an old rpg by Falcom, the developers of the Ys and Trails games, this ova is about a prince's father being murdered, his kingdom being taken over, and his quest to rescue his mother, help his girlfriend turn into a dragon and team up with the twin brother of his grandpa all within the span of forty minutes. It's well-animated, it's ridiculously fast, and it's generally a lot of fun for it. That's all there is to say about it, really.

https://a.pomf.cat/dqnump.mp4
https://a.pomf.cat/jaztfq.mp4

The Ancient Books of Ys/Ys 2: Castle in the Heavens

From the late 80s to the early 90s, there was a long ova adaptation of Ys 1, followed by an adaptation of Ys 2. Ys 1 is a very direct adaptation, simply taking the source material and extending it to seven episodes worth of dialog and plot. It's pretty decent, but some episodes are better than others. Episode 3 in particular is mostly a lot of boring talking followed by a pretty slow action scene, but everything past that is pretty fun, and has Dogi, who is the best character. The animation quality is actually pretty great in certain spots, too. It also has a hilariously bad english dub.

https://a.pomf.cat/vwkext.mp4
https://a.pomf.cat/cgycps.mp4

Ys 2: Castle in the Heavens, on the other hand, is one of the best adaptations I've ever seen. Condensed into four episodes, instead of the first ova's evenly spread seven, it rewrites a ton of the plot, but the changes work exactly to its benefit. Characters who in the game barely had any presence are given much larger, more interesting roles in the story. Lilia goes from being a love interest who doesn't really serve all that much purpose in the overall plot to one of the main focuses, the goddesses actually get to do things, and Dogi appears at the end! It's really fun, and really nicely animated, and has a super angry Adol who blows things up and sneaks around like solid snake at one point.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 4, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Awesome, thank you for that post. Big Falcom/Ys fan here.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sorry for necro-ing my own thread, but I want to talk about something. It's a little outside the scope I defined, but frankly, I can't think of anywhere else to put it, it doesn't quite warrant its own thread (maybe over in CineD), and the chat thread moves a little too fast to bring it up there.

What I want to talk about is Kanashimi no Belladonna (1973), because it is one of the strangest loving movies I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WkcLMapo_Y

(:nws:, if that wasn't already obvious)

The devil is a red ambulatory dong voiced by Tetsuya Nakadai. The animation is a mix between pans over mock Klimt paintings and complete loving insanity (at one point, a man repeatedly shits out flying fish and another man inexplicably has a giraffe for a cock). Sexy saxophone plays as the protagonist burns to death on a cross. It also may or may not be an extended metaphor for post-traumatic stress disorder. If someone told me that this was not, in fact, produced by Osamu Tezuka (yes, that Osamu Tezuka, and yes, really) and was in fact a movie made by loving space aliens, I would believe them 100%.

If you have a theater nearby that's playing this (Cinelicious Pictures restored it and is touring it around), go see it. This movie has essentially turned me into a monkey staring at a monolith.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sorry for necro-ing my own thread, but I want to talk about something. It's a little outside the scope I defined, but frankly, I can't think of anywhere else to put it, it doesn't quite warrant its own thread (maybe over in CineD), and the chat thread moves a little too fast to bring it up there.

What I want to talk about is Kanashimi no Belladonna (1973), because it is one of the strangest loving movies I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WkcLMapo_Y

(:nws:, if that wasn't already obvious)

The devil is a red ambulatory dong voiced by Tetsuya Nakadai. The animation is a mix between pans over mock Klimt paintings and complete loving insanity (at one point, a man repeatedly shits out flying fish and another man inexplicably has a giraffe for a cock). Sexy saxophone plays as the protagonist burns to death on a cross. It also may or may not be an extended metaphor for post-traumatic stress disorder. If someone told me that this was not, in fact, produced by Osamu Tezuka (yes, that Osamu Tezuka, and yes, really) and was in fact a movie made by loving space aliens, I would believe them 100%.

If you have a theater nearby that's playing this (Cinelicious Pictures restored it and is touring it around), go see it. This movie has essentially turned me into a monkey staring at a monolith.

Oh my god, I've seen this movie before. It has astounding music, you can hear it in that trailer a little. I think the happiest part of the entire movie is the opening marriage sequence - everything after it was a descent into more and more madness. Beautiful madness, though - this movie is incredibly stylish from what I remember.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh my god, I've seen this movie before. It has astounding music, you can hear it in that trailer a little. I think the happiest part of the entire movie is the opening marriage sequence - everything after it was a descent into more and more madness. Beautiful madness, though - this movie is incredibly stylish from what I remember.

If you live in a major city, check the arthouse theaters around you, it's actually playing in a surprising number of places. The restoration they did on it is loving incredible.

Here's a listing of all the dates it's playing. Some of them have already passed, but if you live somewhere with an upcoming or current one, it's worth going back to.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

That sounds incredible, and yet of course it's already done showing at the Alamo in San Francisco. Motherfucker.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MiniFoo posted:

That sounds incredible, and yet of course it's already done showing at the Alamo in San Francisco. Motherfucker.

It's coming out on VOD in early July if you're willing to wait! I'll bump this thread again when that happens to remind everyone, because this movie is a loving experience.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Please do, I need to see it.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Colonel posted:

The Ancient Books of Ys/Ys 2: Castle in the Heavens

This also has one of, if not the best anime ED theme of all time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Macross Plus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGJN9uYo5w

Dedicated to all pioneers...
What happens when you cross Shoji Kawamori and Shinichiro Watanabe? You get Top Gun in SPACE with a (mostly) stellar voice cast, some great aerial dogfights, and a soundtrack by Yoko Kanno. Four episodes long of pure fun. Even ifyou're like me, and have never watched anything else Macross or Robotech, watch this OVA. It's easy to follow and is self contained. Even today it's still one of the best OVAs I've ever watched. Visual story telling at its best.

A note: watch the OVA version and not the remastered film version. The film has some rather fugly CGI, which the OVA tries to keep to a minimum.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 18, 2016

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tonfa posted:

This also has one of, if not the best anime ED theme of all time

It's worth noting that the first series makes extensive use of the Ys Symphony soundtrack, which is fantastic. Can't remember if Ys II is the same way or not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSHNcJMaNn8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fLXPgF__E4

• Locked thread